Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Spoiler free review. Sounds like if you liked TLJ, you'll probably hate RoS. If you hated TLJ, you'll probably like RoS.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker/

Current Rotten Tomatoes score is coming in at 59%, which essentially is barely rotten for now (60% is considered fresh). After reading through all the review comments on there, this movie truly is all over the board with all their different scores of the movie, from people who loved it to people who really did not. Then, delving further into the actual comments, there is definitely a trend showing where it seems that most TLJ lovers aren't liking this movie and most TLJ detractors are, kind of like in the review that Fitzy posted.

On a separate note, I find some of the metrics Rotten Tomatoes uses in their fresh/rotten score-keeping to be pretty funny. I'm pretty sure they determine each individual fresh/rotten score for each review based on whether they feel the overall review is more positive or more negative in general, and then go with that. Then, in addition, they also post how someone rates a film on each reviewers own individual scorecard, whether that be a score out of 10, 5, or maybe no score table at all. The funny part comes when based on Rotten Tomatoes determination technique of fresh/rotten, you'll find reviewers who gave the movie a 2.5 out of 5 listed as fresh and another reviewer who gave the movie a 3/5 as rotten. I get what they are trying to do, and in the whole aggregate scheme of things, it all kind of evens out, but I still find it kind of funny.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Also, I'd stay off twitter. I stupidly looked for the reviews and saw a bunch of spoilers and phone camera photos of the movie.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Spoiler free review. Sounds like if you liked TLJ, you'll probably hate RoS. If you hated TLJ, you'll probably like RoS.

What if you liked both?

Honestly I don't get why this is being made to be so difficult. TFA was made in the shadow of the prequels. They just spent 4 billion dollars to acquire the rights. They were going to give longtime fans what they knew worked, and it was a note for note remake of Episode 4. At the time I was totally fine with it. But I'm also old enough to remember there were a lot of fans that absolutely were disappointed with Death Star 3.0. There was a poll on StarWars.com before TLJ, and Snoke was voted the least liked Star Wars character ever, above Jar Jar.

I think they rightly knew that they couldn't just keep playing the hits with TLJ, so they let Johnson steer it away from what people thought they were going to get with that installment. That also pissed people off. I've said many times like TLJ a lot. I was ready to move away from it. What I think the problem is there is a level of fanboy that has literally raised Luke Skywalker to religious significance and they just couldn't deal with the direction of the story. It's far from a perfect movie but it's pretty dang good from an objective standpoint.

My concerns here are now thus: Talented actors and directors are going to stay away from this franchise. Kennedy is part of this because she's chewed up directors like crazy. We have probably seen peak Star Wars. Ron Howard got chewed up by Solo, which was a pretty good movie. Rian Johnson got aboutly chewed up by TLJ. JJ is probably going to get chewed up. The poor girl who was Rose deleted her social media because she just got eviscerated.

And lost in all of this, is that we probably have the best cast we'll ever have in these movies. Adam Driver might be the best actor working. Daisy, Boyega, Oscar Isaac, this is probably about as good as we can absolutely hope for.

I'm concerned we'll be back to prequel level stuff.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I would call TLJ really good, but not great. There were a few really dumb things in that movie that are hard to get past, and some of the humor just falls totally flat. But it also has some of the greatest Star Wars moments. That scene where R2 shows Luke the original message from Leia is amazing and gets me in the feels every time.

It won't matter how good this movie is, there is going to be a very vocal group that is going to relentlessly let you know just how terrible this movie is and it wrecked their whole childhood. There are plenty on this forum. This is the one and only post I'm even going to have on the movie from here on out. The Star Wars fanbase has become so toxic and insufferable

That's about how I feel, both about TLJ and the fanbase. I was a huge fan as a kid and into high school, but sort of became more a casual fan after that. I'm really glad that I've let that go, the hardcore fanbase is definitely way too toxic and that's just stress I don't need in my life. These days, I like the movies other people don't like and dislike the ones everyone loves (Liked TLJ, Solo; Disliked Rogue One, Mild Dislike TFA) so I guess I'm just out of sync.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Are you in a good guild? Mine is okay but pretty top heavy.

Yeah, joined a new guild probably 5-6 months ago because the other one I was in kept losing good people. In a decent one now. I think our GP is around 174 million.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Yeah, joined a new guild probably 5-6 months ago because the other one I was in kept losing good people. In a decent one now. I think our GP is around 174 million.
The one I'm in is currently at 65 million. Quite a ways away from that 100 mil threshold of qualifying for the Geonosis stuff.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The one I'm in is currently at 65 million. Quite a ways away from that 100 mil threshold of qualifying for the Geonosis stuff.

The guild I am in is NewJedioftheHighGround and the leader is JediMaster23. We are on Discord. If you are interested in trying to get in you can contact him. Sometimes he cuts guys who aren't participating so once or twice a month we usually have an opening.
The Geonosis TBs are very difficult. The dark side one is difficult enough but the light side one is on a whole different level. We tried it before they shut it down and we only were able to get 1 star. So we are back on Hoth this time.

Reactions: Fitzy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.thevoid.com/dimensions/star-wars-vr/

Anyone on here got a chance to check out the Star Wars VR experience: Secrets of the Empire? I did in Vegas this past fall. Man is it cutting edge and a way cool experience. I've never been a VR guy myself, but it really hooked me on the technology where I want to experience more of them. It is kind of spendy, but well worth it. You are walking around in it, pulling levers, pushing buttons, feeling wind, feeling heat, feeling rumbles, and feeling getting shot (not pain) when you get hit. Its especially fun to do with friends and there was one moment in it I truly felt terrified to the point I wanted to drop my blaster and curl into a ball.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://www.thevoid.com/dimensions/star-wars-vr/

Anyone on here got a chance to check out the Star Wars VR experience: Secrets of the Empire? I did in Vegas this past fall. Man is it cutting edge and a way cool experience. I've never been a VR guy myself, but it really hooked me on the technology where I want to experience more of them. It is kind of spendy, but well worth it. You are walking around in it, pulling levers, pushing buttons, feeling wind, feeling heat, feeling rumbles, and feeling getting shot (not pain) when you get hit. Its especially fun to do with friends and there was one moment in it I truly felt terrified to the point I wanted to drop my blaster and curl into a ball.

I was going to do it in Orlando with my kids at the bowl, but the thing said the age limit on it is 10 and mi middle is 7. So I'll do it sometime. I'm really interested in that one and the Jumanji one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was going to do it in Orlando with my kids at the bowl, but the thing said the age limit on it is 10 and mi middle is 7. So I'll do it sometime. I'm really interested in that one and the Jumanji one.

Hmm, I didn't know the age limit on it, but it makes sense. There really is some teamwork that goes into the thing, so if you've got a bunch of kids not really knowing what to do, it has the potential to ruin things for the others in your party.

I can't wait to do the new Avengers one sometime as well. I wanted to do it while I was in Disney, but somehow in Orlando it fell into the Disney/Marvel not owning their theme park rights to many Marvel characters in Florida, so Disney is unable to have it available there. However, my sister lives in Minneapolis, so I'm hoping to hit it up sometime this next year at the Mall of America.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So, in light of the saga films ending, where does Star Wars go from here? I think Kathleen Kennedy has to go. I think, despite how you might feel about the films individually, the saga trilogy as a whole is a terrible mess. It's clear there was a total lack of vision and KK gave the directors too much power. I get that maybe they were trying to do what the OT did by having different directors for every film, but what she/they missed was Lucas was still creatively calling the shots in the OT for all the films. It was painfully obvious a unifying vision was missing. On top of that many of the Star wars films under her direction have had massive production issues behind the scenes, some evident in the final product, some not. I wont even get in to how she set up the story group just to marginalize them during the making of the saga films.

The Star Wars franchise is more than strong enough to survive some blunders, and if Mando is any indication they just might kill it in the streaming realm. But still, I don't see how she can remain at the helm of the Star Wars movies, as it is clear leadership from the top has been a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv