First time parent advice, tips, tricks, etc.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Oh, one more! Baby sign language! It sounds like a joke and I scoffed at it initially. They get to a point where they know want they want or need. They just don't have the vocal ability to tell you. That's where the frustration and tears come. Baby sign language is amazing. We got away with just four or five simple things, like yes, no, more, and thank you. Awesome!

If you're in DM, bring new child down to Farmer's Market. I kind of know the guy that runs the children's barrel train on 2nd Avenue. I may be able to hook you up with a ride!

our daycare teaches baby sign language and it's been so useful. He could sign for milk starting like 9/10 months or so? Then more, all done, and please. Don't think he's ever done thank you. But super useful and like you said, helps get out some of their frustration at being unable to communicate effectively.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
our daycare teaches baby sign language and it's been so useful. He could sign for milk starting like 9/10 months or so? Then more, all done, and please. Don't think he's ever done thank you. But super useful and like you said, helps get out some of their frustration at being unable to communicate effectively.

Our daycare apparently does as well. However, my daughter got by with the "Oddjob" method of pointing and grunting for getting something she wanted. She's talking more, which is nice, but still plenty of points and grunts.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Baby sign is great until your kid is signing something you don't know. :confused: :D

or makes up their own. Ours has a very specific gesture he makes for "grandma". It doesn't match anything for ASL or baby SL and daycare swears they haven't taught family beyond mom and dad. We have no idea where he got it but every time we say grandma he does it.

• Funny
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
or makes up their own. Ours has a very specific gesture he makes for "grandma". It doesn't match anything for ASL or baby SL and daycare swears they haven't taught family beyond mom and dad. We have no idea where he got it but every time we say grandma he does it.
Tell me so I can use it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I agreed, but then I realized my sign would probably have to be for great-grandma!

No, not yet. It's just that the kids are all done having more kids, and the youngest is 7, so they're all communicating verbally pretty well at this point.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Ha! He puts one arm out and sort of taps his forearm with the other hand

I'd say it's closest to "walk" on here except the right arm goes up and down tapping the forearm instead of walking.

821e76b2baac31032bcc70ec338a4314.jpg

jpfreeman

Mar 17, 2011
Ok ok ok... my first serious post on CF perhaps?

Anyway, my wife and I are expecting our first child next year, the cyclone family is getting one more fan! Just passed one of the first milestones where we can start to tell family and friends. I know there are many ways and opinions about how to raise a child and not looking to get into that in this thread. What I'm looking for is for other CF faithfuls to offer any helpful tricks, tips, recommendations, products, or lessons learned from everyone else's experiences during the pregnancy stage and first year. I'm already buckled in for the roller coaster ride.

Do's/Don'ts/Must haves?

Are there any good new dad groups in the Ames/DSM area or forums that are good?

Mercy vs Methodist Medical Center vs Methodist West? Mercy and Methodist West are pretty much the same time and distance from our house. We've heard Methodist West has one of the best and comfortable maternity wards in the metro area (for non-high risk).

We have a Sam's membership but I've heard target and/or costco is a better option when looking to save on baby products like diapers and wipes due to better quality. We plan on signing up for Target, Prime, and a few other registries to get some free products to try.

Sadly, we will probably have to give up our season tickets to FB games. ~$1500/year is a lot when looking at potential day care and baby costs. I don't think taking a young baby to FB games sounds like a good time.

Thanks,
DerpyHerky

Postscript:
No gender reveal party will take place, that stuffs a farce. Our gender reveal party will be the obgyn telling us the gender.

My advice would be to not only have a schedule for the kid (like someone else already said and I agree with), but to also have a sleep schedule for you and your wife. Sleep deprivation is actually a form a torture and with a newborn someone will probably be up feeding it or changing it every 2-3 hours for the first 6 months (unless the kid is born big and can handle more formula at each feeding). My wife and I had shifts where each of us was on and the other off and that allowed us to get more hours of consecutive sleep. If I remember correctly we worked it out so that each person had 6 hours of consecutive sleep. That went a looong way towards both of us keeping our sanity.

Also - if you have a girl remember - "front to back". So when you are changing her wipe the poo from the front towards the back of her so that there is less chance of her getting a uti with poo getting in the lady part. Kind of gross to write about, but important.

Lastly - take advantage of friends and family members that want to watch the baby (assuming you think they are experienced/trustworthy). Don't feel like you and your wife have to do everything. Everyone has help raising their kids and most people actually like to watch babies (especially if it just for a couple of hours). So take advantage of that in order to keep your sanity.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'd like to take this time to thank everyone who had provided feedback and advice.
My list of items to buy has been populated with many recommendations from this thread.
Some of us (okay, mostly the grandmothers among us) demand updates! ;)
Seriously though, I hope your wife has a healthy, happy pregnancy, an easy delivery, and LOTS of pampering from her devoted spouse. Pssssst: That's you...don't drop the ball!

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
Child #1 you will freak out about everything.

Child #2 you will catch putting dirt in their mouth, and you will hope it eats enough dirt that you can skip feeding it a meal.

Trust in this general order: Yourself, parents of multiple kids older than 3, parents of a single child older than 3, parents of a single child under 3, those that give the most advice.

Enjoy every moment, because it only lasts a moment.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Do you have any family members who would buy your season tickets from you for 4-5 years until you're in a better financial position. Hate to see you lose your season tickets now that the team is starting to flourish!

Reactions: Angie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Ha! He puts one arm out and sort of taps his forearm with the other hand

I'd say it's closest to "walk" on here except the right arm goes up and down tapping the forearm instead of walking.

821e76b2baac31032bcc70ec338a4314.jpg
does your kid not talk? Am i severely overestimating how old he is?

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
I'll be a new dad in July. Any book recommendations?

Appreciate reading this thread

these are a few books for new dads that I’ve had a couple of people recommend. They’re pretty cheap on amazon.

Be Prepared: Be Prepared

The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance

We’re Pregnant! The First-Time Dad’s Pregnancy Handbook

Reactions: cyfan92

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

I said it before in this thread, but the schedule in Mom's on Call has been great for us. I was skeptical before we bought it, but it has been worth every cent.

Our 8 week old now sleeps from 8 PM to 6 AM and after week 2 never woke up more than once a night.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
these are a few books for new dads that I’ve had a couple of people recommend. They’re pretty cheap on amazon.

Be Prepared: Be Prepared

The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance

We’re Pregnant! The First-Time Dad’s Pregnancy Handbook

Be Prepared is a solid one that most on a sports chat site would get a kick out of I think. It basically touts itself as a fun (still useful) tips/tricks/MacGyver-like hacks/humor approach to raising the little one. The Amazon description bullets include:

• change a baby at a packed sports stadium
• create a decoy drawer full of old wallets, remote controls, and cell phones to throw baby off the scent of your real gear
• stay awake (or at least upright) at work
• babyproof a hotel room in four minutes flat
• construct an emergency diaper out of a towel, a sock, and duct tape

I didn't care for The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-To-Be. It definitely had some good information about what's happening leading up to the birth, but had too much talk about dad's feelings/emotions for my liking.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa

Hero: Being the Strong Father Your Child Needs by Meg Meeker.

This book won’t tell you what to do necessarily but will tell you why. Shapes my outlook and helps me stay locked in on my child.