Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do it. Absolutely do it!

My father was a letter writer, and my mother & grandmother saved ALL of them from college to home, from WWII to home and to my mother, and then again from college to home and to my mother. He also kept many of their letters to him at college, and even a few he received while serving in the European Theater from 1944-46. When my grandmother died, my mother took her box of letters. When my mother died and my father remarried & moved into his new wife's home, my sister took all of the boxes of letters as my stepmother "didn't have room" for most of his stuff. (He got to bring his clothes & his one favorite chair, which was banished to a room in the basement where he would go to watch TV).
About 6 months before my father turned 80, my sisters & I got the same idea you did. They very painstakingly typed all of his letters into MS word files, complete with mispelled words and typos (the ones he wrote from college were nearly all typed). They sent those files to me and I compiled them in date order, using different fonts for the different authors. I used pictures from the different years as "chapter covers". We had the whole thing printed up and bound, and we gave a copy to him, to each of his grandkids, to his brother & a couple of his brothers kids that were close to him, and each of us kept a copy.

We probably could have scanned them all and done it that way, but they were hard to read at times. We did scan the drawings he had made (cartoons, maps, etc) and included them in the book. The book gave my sons a fascinating look into my father's youth and service.

In college I did a project like this. We had the letters my grandpa wrote while courting my grandma and leading up to the wedding. I transcribed them with two different fonts and had relatives write memories of my grandparents and I included those. I need to find a copy, since I never kept one for myself. My dad was the youngest of 4 kids and my grandpa married relatively “late” for the time period so when I was born my grandparents were already in their 70’s (lived to be in their 90’s). The letters were from late 1920s/early 1930’s (my grandpa was born in 1899). Our oldest daughter who was named after my grandma will inherit her original engagement ring from back then.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In college I did a project like this. We had the letters my grandpa wrote while courting my grandma and leading up to the wedding. I transcribed them with two different fonts and had relatives write memories of my grandparents and I included those. I need to find a copy, since I never kept one for myself. My dad was the youngest of 4 kids and my grandpa married relatively “late” for the time period so when I was born my grandparents were already in their 70’s (lived to be in their 90’s). The letters were from late 1920s/early 1930’s (my grandpa was born in 1899). Our oldest daughter who was named after my grandma will inherit her original engagement ring from back then.

my youngest grandparent was born in 1900. She was the one I was scared of. For moms funeral I found moms and her moms wedding rings. I gave them to my surviving sister, she wanted them. Moms mom was the nice one.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Granted, its been awhile since I have held a newborn, but goodness, he is tiny and squishy, and limp. Was super scared about moving around with him.

Totally picturing this as you.

worst-onboarding-experiences.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Well, Mom passed away 2 hours ago. Did not expect that today but the reason I wanted to be here was she was being put under for the procedure today and you never know how an elderly person will react to anesthesia.

The doctor came in after the procedure and everything sounded promising. After that all downhill.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Had a new hire come and shadow me on my project today. It's a fairly laid back but government setting and I told them business casual when the shadow asked about dress code.

They showed up in ripped jeans and a large graphic t shirt from some band. ‍♂️ I had to pull them aside and tell them to go back to the hotel to put on something else.

Do they not teach or talk about business etiquette anymore in college?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well, Mom passed away 2 hours ago. Did not expect that today but the reason I wanted to be here was she was being put under for the procedure today and you never know how an elderly person will react to anesthesia.

The doctor came in after the procedure and everything sounded promising. After that all downhill.

My condolences. Sounds like she lived a long life and most certainly a great one. Tossing warm wishes your way.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

My sympathies bud. It’s not easy no matter the age. Still getting used to my mom not being around, today is a type of day I would have spent extra time with her due to weather. Think of the good times you had.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

So sorry for you! Glad you were there, although it must have been hard to handle.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Oh Gr8, I'm so sorry.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Had a new hire come and shadow me on my project today. It's a fairly laid back but government setting and I told them business casual when the shadow asked about dress code.

They showed up in ripped jeans and a large graphic t shirt from some band. ‍♂️ I had to pull them aside and tell them to go back to the hotel to put on something else.

How DARE you judge someone else? Don't you know anything goes these days?

(Just being a smartass. I'm right there with you.)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Gr8, I lost my Dad 13 years ago, but I hear his voice in my head every day. I'm sure the memories of your Mom will stay bright in your head forever, too. The pain you feel is the result of the love you had for her, and she for you.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

We have a "dress for your day" policy. Basically be smart, dress nice/more formal if you have customers but other than that just be smart. Sometimes interesting to see who pushes the lines a little more. Basically has resulted in everyone wearing jeans pretty much every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.