Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
question regarding the stepping on the scale. How often should I step on the scale? Once a week? I want to track some progress but don't want to mess myself up by getting discouraged.

I have done it every Friday. I have the UA one that links to MFP so I just step on and then my progress is tracked. I thinks it's important to track progress but I don't think it's helpful to do it daily especially since things like water weight can fluctuate. I mean, I could drop 4-5 lbs in a day if I was fully hydrated on one and then neglected it the next.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
As do many....but that is like saying, I know I should give up smoking, but I like it too much.

What ends up motivating people to give these up are health issues that they didn't realize were related to what they were consuming (and you don't know until you try and eliminate for a period of time) Auto-immune issues, pre-type 2 diabetes symptoms, obesity, anxiety/depression, etc.

Look at many people approaching their 50's and 60's. They are all taking meds for something. IMO, they could rid themselves of being dependent on meds if they tried an elimination diet to discover what certain foods (often highly processed and carb heavy) are actually doing to them.

Disclaimer: while I may take in an occasion beer, still spirits (vodka, whiskey, etc) are a fine sub if you need to imbibe from time to time and want to avoid the negative (carb related ) side affects. vodka, soda and a lime - you'll learn to love it. :)

I've been reading a lot of these messages in here about weight loss, which it's great that people are making changes. I kind of avoided talking about my path, as it's a different one, until I read your message.

I'm 33 and was diagnosed with crohns in 2017. After being misdiagnosed and put on antibiotics for something else, I went through BS with hospitals until finally getting answers and something a little on track. I had surgery this year to essentially restart my body over. I initially had a lime-sized abscess in my terminal ilium, a shot appendix and was lucky I didn't end up septic with my surgeon saying how bad it was. He took that stuff out, re-sectioned me and so far I've been better. I'm on humira and trigger foods that I know of are peppers and tomatoes. Everyone seems to be different.

I try to use a lot of intermittent fasting to help my gut regenerate and keep the inflammation down. I had such high levels of CRP and my sedimentation rate that my Dr.'s jaw was in amazement the fact that wasn't appearance wise worse than I was. So far it's been a process, but I took a food sensitivity test recently to see if there was anything else exacerbating issues, as I bounce back from one end to the other with my gut. Still waiting on those results. I try to stick with a lot of "anti-inflammatory" foods and dairy doesn't sit well with me. My problem I seem to have is keeping weight on as I fluctuate quite a bit.

I don't drink beer hardly ever, unless I have just a single craft very rarely. I don't drink as often as I used to. I don't drink pop, unless it's an occasional sprite with whiskey. I never ate a terrible diet compared to most, but I know it's genetically in my family. I'm guessing I just exacerbated the issues with a lot of protein and workout supplements over the years that probably had negative fillers and side effects.

So for me the main things are: intermittent fasting, avoid peppers and tomatoes, Vit D3/fish oil, anti-inflammatory foods, avoid dairy (except cheddar, have to have some), a potent probiotic, and I try to filter my water a lot, along with my humira. Hopefully someday I'll be in complete remission and I have my diet and supplements down to a science. Overall, the past 6 months I have felt the best I have in probably 2.5 - 3 years. But, I know there's still room for improvement.

goinlow67

May 22, 2008
Davenport
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
Dude. I was you. After Thanksgiving 2017: 50 yrs old. 285 lbs. 160 in high school. I’ve been at 160 since June 2018. I started Atkins. After 1 month I was down about 15. I researched intermittent fasting and kaboom! I eventually went to eating one meal a day and even went 13 wks in a row fasting for 48 hrs. To this day I have a 2-3 hr eating window that begins only at night. I lost 100 lbs in about 6 months. It was way too fast but it worked. I did it all with diet. I lift now because I really grew weak but you can do it. Stop eating. Fast 22 hrs a day. Eat cleanly. Repeat. You’ll never ever ever not want to eat dinner no matter how healthy it is. Diets suck. When it’s your only meal of the day it NEVER sucks and you’ll be so clear and so fresh all day you’ll be astonished.

Good luck man. It can be done.

Reactions: Trice and cyclone4L

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I've been reading a lot of these messages in here about weight loss, which it's great that people are making changes. I kind of avoided talking about my path, as it's a different one, until I read your message.

I'm 33 and was diagnosed with crohns in 2017. After being misdiagnosed and put on antibiotics for something else, I went through BS with hospitals until finally getting answers and something a little on track. I had surgery this year to essentially restart my body over. I initially had a lime-sized abscess in my terminal ilium, a shot appendix and was lucky I didn't end up septic with my surgeon saying how bad it was. He took that stuff out, re-sectioned me and so far I've been better. I'm on humira and trigger foods that I know of are peppers and tomatoes. Everyone seems to be different.

I try to use a lot of intermittent fasting to help my gut regenerate and keep the inflammation down. I had such high levels of CRP and my sedimentation rate that my Dr.'s jaw was in amazement the fact that wasn't appearance wise worse than I was. So far it's been a process, but I took a food sensitivity test recently to see if there was anything else exacerbating issues, as I bounce back from one end to the other with my gut. Still waiting on those results. I try to stick with a lot of "anti-inflammatory" foods and dairy doesn't sit well with me. My problem I seem to have is keeping weight on as I fluctuate quite a bit.

I don't drink beer hardly ever, unless I have just a single craft very rarely. I don't drink as often as I used to. I don't drink pop, unless it's an occasional sprite with whiskey. I never ate a terrible diet compared to most, but I know it's genetically in my family. I'm guessing I just exacerbated the issues with a lot of protein and workout supplements over the years that probably had negative fillers and side effects.

So for me the main things are: intermittent fasting, avoid peppers and tomatoes, Vit D3/fish oil, anti-inflammatory foods, avoid dairy (except cheddar, have to have some), a potent probiotic, and I try to filter my water a lot, along with my humira. Hopefully someday I'll be in complete remission and I have my diet and supplements down to a science. Overall, the past 6 months I have felt the best I have in probably 2.5 - 3 years. But, I know there's still room for improvement.

so sorry to hear of all your struggles. Have you every heard anything from Mikhaila Peterson? She had health issues since she was a young child.....more numerous than what you've listed and has pretty much cleared them all up by changing her diet. It is pretty incredible.

Reactions: cyclone4L

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
so sorry to hear of all your struggles. Have you every heard anything from Mikhaila Peterson? She had health issues since she was a young child.....more numerous than what you've listed and has pretty much cleared them all up by changing her diet. It is pretty incredible.

It's great that it worked for her and her dad and their issues, but that's simply not going to work for everyone.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I haven't, but may look into it. What part of the struggle is I have people throw stuff at me from all directions saying this worked for them, this worked for that person, etc., but it's tough for to me bounce around and not make sure to have so many inconsistencies that I lose track of what's working.

I know eliminating certain foods is the way to go, just hoping the test will provide a little more info. I know I had it bad, but I also know that it was livable and other people have it worse. So my goal is just try to figure out the best route, keep stress to a minimum, and know that this is a marathon to figure out, not a sprint.

I try to do a 24 hour fast once a week or every other week along with my 15/9 or 16/8 daily. I guess this forum is just good for keeping people's spirits up and goals in place. Always helps to hear the struggles of what others go through.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Dude. I was you. After Thanksgiving 2017: 50 yrs old. 285 lbs. 160 in high school. I’ve been at 160 since June 2018. I started Atkins. After 1 month I was down about 15. I researched intermittent fasting and kaboom! I eventually went to eating one meal a day and even went 13 wks in a row fasting for 48 hrs. To this day I have a 2-3 hr eating window that begins only at night. I lost 100 lbs in about 6 months. It was way too fast but it worked. I did it all with diet. I lift now because I really grew weak but you can do it. Stop eating. Fast 22 hrs a day. Eat cleanly. Repeat. You’ll never ever ever not want to eat dinner no matter how healthy it is. Diets suck. When it’s your only meal of the day it NEVER sucks and you’ll be so clear and so fresh all day you’ll be astonished.

Good luck man. It can be done.

100 lbs in 6 months is insane! Congrats man, that's fantastic. What are some good tips for staving off hunger? I've done IF recently but find myself starving by the time noon comes around. I'm usually out of the office in the mornings but get to my desk by 11-12 on a typical day, and as soon as I'm not being active and sit down my mind instantly goes to food.

I've recently let myself get to the heaviest point of my life (about 215lbs at 5'10"). Within the last 2-3 months I've started a new job and had a newborn child, and quickly realized it's so easy to let things like personal wellness slip when you have major life changes. I'm relatively young (27) and still work out with decent regularity (3-4 x week) - I know if I just commit and do something that's sustainable the weight will come off pretty quickly, I just need to make myself do it. This thread is a great idea for accountability.

goinlow67

May 22, 2008
Davenport
100 lbs in 6 months is insane! Congrats man, that's fantastic. What are some good tips for staving off hunger? I've done IF recently but find myself starving by the time noon comes around. I'm usually out of the office in the mornings but get to my desk by 11-12 on a typical day, and as soon as I'm not being active and sit down my mind instantly goes to food.

I've recently let myself get to the heaviest point of my life (about 215lbs at 5'10"). Within the last 2-3 months I've started a new job and had a newborn child, and quickly realized it's so easy to let things like personal wellness slip when you have major life changes. I'm relatively young (27) and still work out with decent regularity (3-4 x week) - I know if I just commit and do something that's sustainable the weight will come off pretty quickly, I just need to make myself do it. This thread is a great idea for accountability.
Thanks! Intermittent fasting was the key assisted by cutting out carbs. One of the benefits of fasting is the realization that hunger is so very rarely HUNGER. Wanting to eat is not needing to eat especially if you’ve cut out carbs. The hunger is only momentary. You’ll forget about it within minutes. I found it’s just easier to NOT eat than have to make a choice between a healthy meal and a healthy snack all day long because that sucks. I didn’t make a “lifestyle” change so much as just change when I eat. I haven’t eaten before 4pm in 18 months or so - I’m pretty sure I’ve got it down now.

Reactions: Trice and cyclone4L

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
question regarding the stepping on the scale. How often should I step on the scale? Once a week? I want to track some progress but don't want to mess myself up by getting discouraged.

When I was trying to get into shape I ended up stepping on it every morning. It was my way of reinforcing to myself that I needed to be doing something. If you do that you have to take the mindset not get excited (good or bad) about changes. Have to look at it every week.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I've had Crohns disease for 50 years now. Mostly been limited to the terminal ileum (end of small intestine). I am unlucky to have it but lucky to not have gotten REALLY sick from it. One a scale of minor to severe I'll generally been in the moderate range. Had surgery on that in 1988. Gotten along petty well most of the time but maybe to the point where I need to have a small section removed again. Just had an intestinal MRI and that showed inflammation and scarring in only a 2" section in the same spot it always is. When it's good I can eat most anything. When it's bad it really just doesn't seem to matter what I eat to mitigate. That's based on 50 years experience messing with what I eat.

Was on the immune suppressant Azathioprine for years but it's not a great drug for an old dude to be on that long so doc switched to me Remicade infusions this year. Insurance won't pay for Humira. Neither is cheap.

Been seeing the same specialist since 1982. Talk about health care continuity. He's older than me and is retiring at end of year. Going to need to break in a new doc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I haven't, but may look into it. What part of the struggle is I have people throw stuff at me from all directions saying this worked for them, this worked for that person, etc., but it's tough for to me bounce around and not make sure to have so many inconsistencies that I lose track of what's working.

I know eliminating certain foods is the way to go, just hoping the test will provide a little more info. I know I had it bad, but I also know that it was livable and other people have it worse. So my goal is just try to figure out the best route, keep stress to a minimum, and know that this is a marathon to figure out, not a sprint.

I try to do a 24 hour fast once a week or every other week along with my 15/9 or 16/8 daily. I guess this forum is just good for keeping people's spirits up and goals in place. Always helps to hear the struggles of what others go through.

I am always hearing from well meaning people that do not know jack **** about Crohns Disease offering up their wisdom on what I SHOULD be doing. The way it effects each individual varies all over the place. It's not like after five decades I haven't looked into things. :rolleyes:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I made it to the gym Tuesday - Friday, and also haven’t had a pop or alcoholic drink since this thread popped up. Celebrating with a small whiskey and caffeine-free diet right now.

Thinking I’ll go for a walk with the family in the morning vs going to the gym, take Sunday completely off, then back at it Monday morning at 5.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Big guys doing burpees in their apartment. Don't want to live in the apt downstairs. :rolleyes:

I would rate this funny if I didn't have first hand experience. I'm the most unconfrontational guy and finally had to ask a guy wtf he was doing upstairs as it just sounded like he was slamming bowling balls at the floor constantly. He was doing Insanity or whatever the hot program was that requires no weights years ago.

Makes me so thankful to have a house and share no walls.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just proving you guys that I'm not all talk. Got my boxing heavy bag set up tonight. Gloves came in the mail. Gonna start my Fight Camp training tomorrow and will post progress right here with you all. Yes, that's the bag in my office! I moved the treadmill in there too. Gotta have a place to burn off steam I guess!

Attachments

• IMG-7117.jpg
    IMG-7117.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 47

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Just proving you guys that I'm not all talk. Got my boxing heavy bag set up tonight. Gloves came in the mail. Gonna start my Fight Camp training tomorrow and will post progress right here with you all. Yes, that's the bag in my office! I moved the treadmill in there too. Gotta have a place to burn off steam I guess!
That’s awesome Chris!
This is all so exciting to read everyone’s stories and that you guys are so motivated to do this. It sounds like a lot of us were in the same boat with regards to letting our personal health slip.
I can’t wait to begin this journey with you guys. There will probably be some struggle along the way with each other us, but in the words of Matt Campbell “If the fall in love with the process; eventually, the process will love you back.”
We’ve got this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That’s awesome Chris!
This is all so exciting to read everyone’s stories and that you guys are so motivated to do this. It sounds like a lot of us were in the same boat with regards to letting our personal health slip.
I can’t wait to begin this journey with you guys. There will probably be some struggle along the way with each other us, but in the words of Matt Campbell “If the fall in love with the process; eventually, the process will love you back.”
We’ve got this.

Yep, it is a process. I've never gotten super heavy, but was up like 20 lbs last winter and felt like crap.

Got into a good routine of eating habits and lost quite a bit. To me it's much more rewarding to work through with patience and have positive results than try several different things.

Need to get back to running when a calf strain heals up. Able to bike a bit but it's going to be getting late early out there starting next week.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've preached the Soda is the Devil gossip for years.

SodaDevil.jpg
Enjoy_Diet_Evil__by_OvejaNegra77-300x300.jpg

images

The weird thing I notice about pop is that I'll go months and months without one. As soon as I allow myself one, I'm back to drinking 2-4 a week. Even with Diet Coke. It's crazy. That stuff is so addictive to me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron