Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Please, Box - just make sure you DND during the attempt. You are a CF national treasure!

DND. Grabbed onto some unfinished basement framing and, unsurprisingly, could not do a pull up. :oops: Chin up, yes, but pull up was a no go. But WTF, I am 68 :p and been doing rehab for two messed up rotator cuffs so I not going to beat myself up over it. They both barked at me to NOT do the pull up attempt. Will add an attempt this spring along with trying golf after a winter of rehab exercises. Been progressing, (only two months in) can sleep at night again without them waking me up and back into gym doing most of my old workouts after a six month absence. Believe I'll even be able to throw snowballs :cool: ago soon (never grow up!).

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone4L

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
If you start working out at home, HASFIT is a really good youtube channel. They range from beginner to advanced. I use a gym through work, but on the weekends i'll pop on a half hour interval training workout and it gets the job done. Cool people too. They will chat you up on twitter. Good support system.

Shouse62

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I've been doing LIFT4 through BB app recently. Invested in weights at home vs the gym membership. Got me back into lifting and still keeps the HIIT aspect as well. Mixing that in 3-4 times a week with Insanity has worked well. Excited to hear your progress!

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Breakfasts---5 Quick, easy, healthy, and get your metabolism going.
Help me out CF-

I usually do fine with Lunch and Dinner/Supper.

But, sleepy-groggy Stevie fails at breakfasts.
Either cereal, and too often Casey's pizza, McDonalds.....

I usually have a bout 10-15 mins in the AM......what do you got!!!
Go!!!!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I've been doing LIFT4 through BB app recently. Invested in weights at home vs the gym membership. Got me back into lifting and still keeps the HIIT aspect as well. Mixing that in 3-4 times a week with Insanity has worked well. Excited to hear your progress!

I really liked that one and forgot to mention it as a great one to start off with, again, because people who aren't in the best shape can complete it. I mixed it with a 30 minute bike ride. I also mixed it with various workouts from other programs for a little more intense cardio.

I think this time I'm settled on jumping into Hammer and Chisel while adding The Work in the afternoon when I feel like it. That way I'm certainly getting my workout in but if I'm feeling spicy I'll get 2-3 two-a-days in.

One thing I'd recommend is tracking your resting heart rate. Right away in the morning, if you have a watch that will do it, just check it and make sure it's not elevating. If it is, my opinion is that you need to back off. This doesn't mean do nothing necessarily but if you've been doing things that really elevate your heart rate and it's not used to it, it needs to recover. That may mean just walking for the day. Mine got really high last winter because I was doing Hammer and Chisel followed by Insanity 5 days a week and my heart just was not in shape for that. It took a month before my RHR was down where I needed it to be and I felt normal again. I think the new iwatch will help you with this as well, telling you when you may need to look at backing off. At least for me, it was kind of a big deal because I'm generally stubborn and have an addictive personality which means when I get into the flow of the program I don't want to take days off and when I start the program each day I will completely max out. I learned that that's not always the best when you're starting out.

• Agree
Reactions: Shouse62

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Help me out CF-

Go!!!!

I'm not a breakfast person unless it's something awful like the things you mentioned so, for me, the IF thing will be best but again, I've tried the healthy breakfast thing. A small bowl of oatmeal and a protein shake, while hard for me to get down, went a LONG way and I barely needed to eat anything for lunch. If I was doing it now I'd skip the oatmeal and add yogurt and frozen fruit to that smoothie along with a little ginger and a cup or so of chopped spinach. It's easy, clean and quick. Hell, you can make it the night before if you want. I use fairlife milk for these. I know some don't like that calorie intake but I highly doubt 8-12 ounces of milk is going to be the difference between our success or failure.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Help me out CF-

Go!!!!

I like using a whole wheat english muffin, fried egg (with PAM spray in a non-stick skillet not in oil), deli turkey and a slice of cheese. I have the routine down, get the egg going, put the english muffin in the toaster, flip the egg, throw the turkey on top of egg to get some heat on it, pull the english muffin out of the toaster and assemble. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes and I believe it is around 350 calories with a lot of protein.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
For someone that can't even come close to doing 1 pull-up, is there a way to help working your way up to doing those? I have a pull up bar but can't do anything close to even 1.
You can use bands to help add resistance to help you. Australian pullups and negative pullups help too.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Help me out CF-

Go!!!!

Greek yogurt with or w/o granola or added fruit
Make ahead and freeze muffins - drop one or two in the microwave for 40 seconds and go
Make ahead and free energy bites/bars/balls. Hundreds of recipes, pick one you like.
Or just grab something like an Rx or Larabar + banana and out the door.
Fry an egg

Smoothies are popular too but I'm terrible at them so no suggestions there

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Help me out CF-

Go!!!!

“get my metabolism going in the morning” I think it a bit dated notion. I think the evidence is showing the intermittent fasting (which for many that means not eating until later in the day) is much more effective for both increasing energy and lose weight.

That said, when I do eat breakfast it is eggs (3 or 4) and bacon 4 strips) . (sometime cheese as a treat). High in protein and sticks with me, no desire to snack before lunch, and there is no energy crash like you get from eating carb heavy things like cereal.

I cook my bacon a package (or two) at a time in the oven on weekends so I just have to heat it up in micro as I eat it during the week. Obviously eggs take just minutes to cook no matter how you do them. Perfect when you don’t have a lot of time in the a.m.

Disclaimer: I don’t consume carbs. I don’t believe it would be healthy eating this for bfast every morning if you are also consuming processed foods, sugars, and carbs during the rest of your day. I think the evidence is pretty clear on that.

Good luck!

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
question regarding the stepping on the scale. How often should I step on the scale? Once a week? I want to track some progress but don't want to mess myself up by getting discouraged.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Bastards put things that are addicting in all the best tasting foods and they're very unhealthy. I personally think McDonalds is paid by the government to put crap in their food that gives people cancer and other diseases. That's why McDonald's is the only place that never increases their prices. The stuff they put in a lot of food and drinks drains your energy so you won't exercise and then rack up massive doctor bills before you croak.

I know a lot of people that get McDonald's 4-5 times a week because they have no energy to cook at home and they can feed the whole family for pretty cheap. These people are always complaining about how horrible they feel every day but they can't stop eating fast food. And now with door dash and all that, they don't even have to leave the house to get it.

Personally I have noticed that Mtn Dew makes me feel horrible. When I drink it every day, I am drained and I can feel it affect my memory and I lack concentration. It also messes with my vision and makes my bedroom performance not so good. But when I don't have one for a couple weeks I feel the exact opposite. In fact, last year I dropped 40 lbs just from not having a soda for 7 months.

Good luck with the weight loss, man. I'll be joining you in this quest.

I think it is easy to bash on McD’s and the like but it is funny. The same person that would say they’d never eat there due to health reasons, would go home and make something like lasagna and eat it with a bunch of bread and think that is somehow healthier than anything they’d eat at McD’s.

I’ll take eating a couple double cheeseburgers , plain and no bun and know that there is zero chance that it has the negative effects on my body that a carb heavy pasta and bread meal (even it homemade) will have on me.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
question regarding the stepping on the scale. How often should I step on the scale? Once a week? I want to track some progress but don't want to mess myself up by getting discouraged.

Not even that often. Go by feel. You'll be able to tell that you're going in the right direction and you don't need a number to artificially discourage you.

I started with intermittent fasting in May (I really can't exercise due to a nerve condition in my leg, anything more than 15-20 minutes of super light cardio renders my leg unusable for hours with a real fall risk). Literally the only time I have actually used a scale was at a doctors appointment and I was down 32 pounds from my check in the spring. You'll be able to tell in your energy and how much better you sleep and of course in your clothes.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
No more than 1x a week imo.

That one is tricky. I have to do it daily, otherwise I find my self slipping up and then over compensating 2 or 3 days before the weigh in. I did take awhile to not be pissed if I'd go up on a daily weigh in even if I followed my plan the previous day.

I finally came down to daily weigh ins, but only recording/logging my weight 1 day a week. It kept me more honest day to day, but allowed me to better process the daily fluctuations.

Reactions: BigTurk

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Once a week at the same time.
I check in every Monday morning before work and try not to deviate my eating patterns sunday night too much.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've come to the conclusion that it's weird of me to like burpees. Much better than split squats.

I like them better than split squats, straight up push-ups or half burpees. Another one I like that nobody else seems to are Mario lunge jumps.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron