Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I live on the NW corner of town. I can get waist (had chest a couple times) high drifts with dirt packed in. Have had to hire it done even with an 11 hp 2 stage.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I live on the NW corner of town. I can get waist (had chest a couple times) high drifts with dirt packed in. Have had to hire it done even with an 11 hp 2 stage.
Yeah same here. If I didn't get those huge drifts as well I would probably go without a snowblower. But after a year or two of digging those drifts out by shovel I said to hell with it and bought the machine.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I bought a new house last year with an average size driveway and one side walk. The kicker is the driveway was granfathered in to where one side is my neighbors, so I have to send all the snow to one side of the drive.

I went with a 27" 254cc Poulan Pro. Biggest one Menards had. And you know what? I will never regret not getting a bigger one.

Thing is a beast and I love it.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
3 stage snow blower.

shovel21.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I bought a like new 8 hp two stage last summer at a garage sale for $75 and sold my old 5 HP two stage a couple weeks ago for $100. Let it snow baby, I'm ready!

The old one worked pretty well until the snow got over 4-5 inches and was wet. I have a north facing driveway so I always blow everything to the east so it doesn't blow back later. Also tend to get some 2-3 foot drifts with strong northwest winds.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
As little as it snows anymore just hire it done. You don’t have to waste the space and time for maintenance. Most snows you can just shovel unless you have a monster driveway. Exercise is good for you also.

Great. Now you've jinxed us all, and we're going to have several major snow storms this winter!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have a TroyBilt 2-stage snowblower. It's probably overkill for most properties under most snow conditions, but I have sidewalks on 3 sides of my property and it's the main entrance to my neighborhood. With that much sidewalk that's being used by my neighbors it's not overkill at all. I like that I can plow off my driveway and all those sidewalks in under half an hour under most conditions.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Buy a very good single stage, and look for someone wanting to dump there monster for a bargain

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
I've always had Ariens two stages and after three plus decades moving snow around overall I'm glad I've had more machine than needed at times but very happy to have the two stage for the deep heavy stuff. There are ways to save space for the bigger machine.

Attachments

• Snowblower storage.jpg
    Snowblower storage.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 36

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Saw the thread title and instantly knew it was the classic winterly 2 stage vs single stage thread.

Reactions: wxman1

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
Went with the new Ariens Compact 24 with the 10ftpd 223cc engine. Destroyed the 1.2" of snow in the driveway today :)

Reactions: 2020cy

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
The best snowblower is whatever an extremely nice neighbor has, who not only blows off your driveway and walks as soon as the snow stops or at 6:00 am, but who if he sees you shoveling (don't want to advantage of him), calls to tell you to stop because he'll be over to take care of it.

Unfortunately, he moved a couple of years ago. So, I bought a fairly large Ariens two-stage because my driveway is on a collector street, wider so more snow at the end of the drive and plowed more frequently, plus a corner lot with lots of pedestrian traffic. It's excellent for large, heavy snow falls and big drifts, recommended.

You can shovel lighter snow events, whereas a single stage blower handles the small snows but leaves you struggling with a "real" snow storm.

I strongly recommend electric start, since manual start can leave you more tired than shoveling, if it balks at starting for one reason or another. And 4 cycle, 2-cycle machines seem to be less reliable and are only viable for little snows like today.

OTOH, the big two-stage is a pain for little snows though, harder to maneuver and define overkill. I have been shoveling those and still could at this point, but am getting older and my spouse favored getting a second, smaller snowblower in lieu of the risk of heart or back strain. Too much work to train a new husband. So, now I also own a 4-cycle Honda single-stage with electric start. Also recommended.

In order, a nice neighbor is #1, two snow blowers is #2, and if you have to "settle", 2-stage Ariens for the big snows assuming that you have a fairly large driveway.

BTW, now I'm the kinda nice neighbor, but it depends on which neighbor(s) we're talking about. Younger, make a choice not to get a snowblower, well, guess you want the exercise, who am I to take that workout opportunity away.

Reactions: dcorbatt

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Bought a Cub Cadet 2 stage from Home Depot a season ago. So far I'd recommend doing the same because it's worked like a charm. Only maybe 2 1" snowfalls last year and today's mostly melted off my driveway before I could even consider getting it out of the shed. As a $800 investment it has been perfect at keeping it from snowing at all.

Reactions: dcorbatt

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
Reviving this thread. I'm a new homeowner and our driveway is quite large. About 120 feet long and 24 feet wide. Thinking of getting a 28-30 inch 2 stage snowblower. Any recommendations for brands from people with large driveways?
TIA