Snowblower

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
Hey All,

I'm a new home owner and looking at getting a snowblower, was thinking 2 stage at first but I hear that, if it's not too much snow, the single stage is the way to go as it gets closer to the concrete. Anyone recently bought one and feels strongly about their experience? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and GO CYCLONES!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
If you’re anywhere in the metro or up towards Cedar Falls and want a 2 stage, PM me. I’m looking to sell mine after moving.

A 2 stage is fine for low amounts of snow. Just set the deck against the ground. It’s more that singles will handle small amounts for a smaller price.

Reactions: dcorbatt

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just got rid of my two stage last week for a new single stage. The two stage was a beast but it won't work in a dusting and it was a beast to maneuver. If you had a lot to do I'd get a two stage but for the past five years or so I felt it was too much.

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
If you’re anywhere in the metro or up towards Cedar Falls and want a 2 stage, PM me. I’m looking to sell mine after moving.

I live in North Ames, just built a house, not sure about drifting yet. I'm open to opinions on brands, hp, stages. I have a north facing home with one house across the street then a large pond behind them, I suspect I won't have drifting issues but who knows. Thanks!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I live in North Ames, just built a house, not sure about drifting yet. I'm open to opinions on brands, hp, stages. I have a north facing home with one house across the street then a large pond behind them, I suspect I won't have drifting issues but who knows. Thanks!

Not sure how to PM since your profile is private but I can swing that way on my way home if you want. It’s a Craftsman 2 stage with a 24” deck and electric start. Maybe 5 years old and barely used. There wasn’t much snow when I lived out of state for a few years.

I’m now living in the metro with a smaller driveway and a kid getting to the age I can send him out to do it for me. :D

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have a two stage and have not used it the last two winters. When this one gives out (honestly no idea if it will even start) I will just get a single stage that doesn't take up as much space. Unless you are lazy you can shovel a couple of inches fairly easily.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I would think that a north facing drive would subject you to snow packing in / drifting against your garage door unless you have trees to knock it down. If it packs tight, good luck shoveling. Depending on the length of your drive having a two stage will handle just about all your snow moving needs. It may seem like overkill sometimes but it beats shoveling.

For my light, easy to move snows, I found a blade for my mower on CL pretty reasonable and that serves my single stage need and it helps me push around my cul de sac.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think I only used mine once or twice last year.

I bought a home last year and figured i'd need a snowblower. There was so little snow last year i didnt even end up needing a snowblower at all. Either it was a tiny amount of snow or it warmed up enough the next day that there was no point anyway as it was going to melt off.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I've used my single stage unit in Minnesota and in Iowa. Fluffy white dry snow is best. When it gets wet, single stage sucks. In MN, I only had to deal with wet snows about twice a year. In Iowa, I rarely get a dry white fluffy snow. If you go the single stage route, make sure to not let over 5 inches fall before clearing the snow (even if it is still snowing). I lived close to a ski hill in MN and usually had over two feet of snow in my yard. Clearing it from the drive and walks was seldom an issue unless the height of the piles on either side of the drive were too high to throw the snow on top of. If the snow is wet, try to keep the blades about a half inch above the concrete leaving a layer of cold snow. Then hit the drive with the shovel.

Or.. spend five times (or more) the price on a two stage.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
After last year, most people will recommend a single stage. After a heavy year, it would be the opposite. I've lived across from the same neighbor for the last 12 years and I can tell you that every time we are both out blowing snow, I'm happy I bought the two stage.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have a big Craftsman 2 stage. Love it when you get big snows. Overkill for small snows, but I use shovels then. No regrets going big.