Hey old farts. What did they call Jack Trice in 1977? It certainly wasn't "Cyclone Stadium"!

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have reason to believe the first few years of Jack Trice Stadium wasn't called Cyclone Stadium as previously thought. I believe it was called the slightly boring name of "New Stadium".

I was looking through old football programs and stumbled upon this "Football Stadium Quiz" in the 1977 Program

7DY1pF1.png

If you look on the right, we're number 19 and if you look on the left there is no mention of "Cyclone Stadium". If you look at the answers on the bottom, you'll see that 19 matches up with U. U is "New Stadium (50,000). If you look up the capacity in 1977 for our stadium it was 48,000 with 2,000 standing room only or as we call it, the hillsides.

I also checked various stadiums and their 1977 capacity and it was all correct. I looked through the rest of the 1977 programs and there is no mention of Cyclone Stadium at all.

In fact if you look at the first program in 1975 of New Stadium it doesn't mention Cyclone Stadium at all either.

3iPQXJ7.png

So in conclusion, we've been using the wrong name for over 40 years! Long live New Stadium!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

OldEagle

Dec 15, 2017
The stadium was new at that time. It was never named "new stadium." Their was a push at that time and if i remember correctly it was led mainly by students to name it Jack Trice. Others wanted it named to represent all cyclones. A compromise was reached to name it Cyclone Stadium and Jack Trice Field after a lot of talk (some might say protests, it was the 70's). The students continued to lobby for Jack Trice until the name was changed years later.
Long live the Jack!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I seem to recall it being dubbed “Iowa State Stadium” before it was officially named Cyclone Stadium.

But I’ve been wrong before. :(

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The stadium was new at that time. It was never named "new stadium." Their was a push at that time and if i remember correctly it was led mainly by students to name it Jack Trice. Others wanted it named to represent all cyclones. A compromise was reached to name it Cyclone Stadium and Jack Trice Field after a lot of talk (some might say protests, it was the 70's). The students continued to lobby for Jack Trice until the name was changed years later.
Long live the Jack!

Pretty much the way it went down. Unnamed for a while. I was at ISU when the Stadium opened.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Long live the Jack!

This history is an example of when Wiki is wrong. The stadium did not have a name from 1975 to 1984. Students lobbied for naming the field after Jack Trice in as far back as 1977 but nothing happened. In media guides, the stadium was just known as Iowa State Stadium. Local news never referenced it by name but would say "at Iowa State" or "In Ames". When forced to use a name, KCCI TV would call it No-Name Stadium. The Sports Director at KCCI at the time was Pete Taylor.

In 1984, the stadium became Cyclone Stadium- Jack Trice Field and in 1997, it was officially renamed Jack Trice Stadium.