Randy On Cyclone Insider

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
What. A. ****. Show.

He claimed that our RBs went down on first contact every time vs UNI and he was ADAMANT about it. “Cyclone fans aren’t used to that!”, he said .I was thinking to myself, “that didn’t happen.”

So now I’m going back and watching the condensed version of the game and lo and behold, our RBs we’re getting through first contact often and easily and in to the second level all game.

Sorry for another Randy thread but guy is a moron. Great contacts, knows nothing about actually playing sports.

Next time you hear him on the radio, keep track of how many times he repeats himself, says "wow", and/or stumbles his way into a 30 second answer than contained 5 seconds of actual content. He's ******* terrible...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Montgomery was special and Randy is just catering to the lowest common denominator.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
To be honest most of Randy's work these days I consider "fluff pieces." Just random babbling of thoughts he has with no real substance but he has to use up enough words to fill a column. I probably don't even bother to read 90% of what he writes because it's either old news or something that is obvious. Occasionally he'll write up a nice side article on a player, coach, or something related to the athletics program that doesn't actually have anything to do with a game or strategy that is worth a read.

The Register in general just seems to be dying a slow painful death. They have a barebones staff to give you minimal local coverage of stuff to stay relevant but the bulk of their actual print media is just recycled AP stories anymore.

Agree completely. I assume the Register's sports coverage has taken a beating in recent years from fan sites that have expanded their own journalistic capabilities, like CF. You can read something neutral at the Register or you can read something similar here written by someone who experiences the joy and pain that we fans do.

I think the Register has recognized that and tried to mimic that tone in its own coverage. Randy tries, but I don't think his heart is in it...at least not as much as Leistikow, who is a full-on propagandist and barely even pretends to be otherwise. That kind of thing would have been unthinkable perhaps even 10 years ago. (That said, I think Iowa's fan base wants to be pandered to a lot more than ISU's does, so that may have something to do with it.)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
All of the running backs need to keep their feet firing through contact. Maybe that was what Randy was saying? Didn't listen to the podcast but I was only really impressed with Croney and Lang in flashes. I think the freshman has a bright future but he needs to grow up fast to follow in David's foot steps.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
All of the running backs need to keep their feet firing through contact. Maybe that was what Randy was saying? Didn't listen to the podcast but I was only really impressed with Croney and Lang in flashes. I think the freshman has a bright future but he needs to grow up fast to follow in David's foot steps.

No dogg, read the OP I wrote what he said.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Last week Randy put out a Twitter Survey asking who Iowa State misses more, Butler or Montgomery? The F**** head literally took a one game sample size and basically said "I told you so". He is completely worthless.

IIRC Butler never had 14 catches in one game and Randy's one game sample should have included acknowledging that ISU's receivers caught some tricky passes. Pettway's two TDs looked routine but he wasn't exactly wide open.

It's also failing to notice that Kene and Croney have held their own when DM was gone. Gee, missing a potential NFL OROY in the first game? Who'd a thunk Randy.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No dogg, read the OP I wrote what he said.
Yes, but Randy has a way of muttering and bantering a lot of nothing and then trying to recoup his statement at the end. I think he's getting old and trying to stay relevant but his faculties are starting to become obviously dated.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Yes, but Randy has a way of muttering and bantering a lot of nothing and then trying to recoup his statement at the end. I think he's getting old and trying to stay relevant but his faculties are starting to become obviously dated.
Why do they think they need him on the show anyway?

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
What. A. ****. Show.

He claimed that our RBs went down on first contact every time vs UNI and he was ADAMANT about it. “Cyclone fans aren’t used to that!”, he said .I was thinking to myself, “that didn’t happen.”

So now I’m going back and watching the condensed version of the game and lo and behold, our RBs we’re getting through first contact often and easily and in to the second level all game.

Sorry for another Randy thread but guy is a moron. Great contacts, knows nothing about actually playing sports.

Yea Randy - That play where the smallest player on the field - Johnny Lang - went down so fast with 11 panthers draped on him that it got Knipfels helmet torn off. Good analysis buddy.

Somebody get him committed.

Reactions: HitItHard58

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wait, are Randy and @clonedude the same person? Come to think of it, I have never seen them in the room together?

giphy.webp

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lang goes down too easily. He also cut behind his downfield blockers on one run instead of outside where he would have scored. Nwangwu also goes down too easily, but his speed outside makes up for it some. He was the key on the TD drive to start the second half vs UNI. Hall does a really good job of running through contact for a FR. But he's maybe a little indecisive getting to the hole. That will improve over time. I actually thought that Croney played the best out of any of them against UNI. He probably earned the start on Saturday, but that fumble is a concern.

Who ever gets PT is likely earning it partly on blocking which might be the hardest thing for the least experienced RBs to do constantly IMHO. Croney is likely best blocker.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
What. A. ****. Show.

1559353011661.jpg

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Who ever gets PT is likely earning it partly on blocking which might be the hardest thing for the least experienced RBs to do constantly IMHO. Croney is likely best blocker.

Yeah, I agree that Croney is the least likely to miss an assignment. He's also pretty stout and runs hard. I think that he's our best bet right now assuming that fumble was a fluke. The plays for Nwangwu can be a little predictable. Hall may be the guy later in the season, but I feel like he isn't ready to be the lead back just yet.

Help Support Us

Become a patron