Is Purdy Hurt?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree with all this. I do think we are under-valuing the safety net that was Kyle Kempt last year. If Brock got hurt scrambling, we had a proven guy to replace him. This year, much more of an unknown.
We’re under-valuing how desperate we were for wins. We changed our starting QBs at 1-3 due to an anemic offense. Kempt had little to do with how they played Purdy.

Talk about cart before horse. It’s generally a bad game plan if ineffective injury avoidance comes at the expense of greatly increasing the chance one of the easier games comes down to a fumble recovery in the 3OT.

Lol, you want a game plan that is injury prevention? Do whatever it takes to get the backups in. The more snaps you play is a far greater increase in injury risk (sorry Newell) than having Purdy make plays.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We’re under-valuing how desperate we were for wins. We changed our starting QBs at 1-3 due to an anemic offense. Kempt had little to do with how they played Purdy.

Talk about cart before horse. It’s generally a bad game plan if ineffective injury avoidance comes at the expense of greatly increasing the chance one of the easier games comes down to a fumble recovery in the 3OT.

Lol, you want a game plan that is injury prevention? Do whatever it takes to get the backups in. The more snaps you play is a far greater increase in injury risk (sorry Newell) than having Purdy make plays.

I think that's why you saw Brock take off a bit more down the stretch. I think the kid will do whatever it takes to win. At the same time, the coaches are on record saying they want Brock in the pocket more this year. I can't help but believe that is due, at least in part, to wanting to make sure he stays health, especially as our backup QB has yet to take a meaningful snap.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I’m fairly confident in saying that the “injury prevention” angle is fan fiction.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

you know he came in for zeb in Stillwater, right?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
On the post game show, Bruns said the OL was improved. During the game, Jay Jordan tweeted that the backs were not gaining as many yards as the OL had them blocked for. All the OL haters and Bruns/Jordan can't both be right, and I know who's opinions I value more.

The OL consistently gave the RBs a hole and room to gain positive yardage, and the matter of breaking a long run comes down to them beating a defender one on one. While the RBs did well, there were a few plays where they got to the second level but simply couldn't make a guy miss. Hall and Croney did a good job running tough and through arm tackles, but they just don't have much wiggle. Lang can make guys miss but isn't the physical runner those two are. Kene had good yardage on his few carries, but those were all attacking the edge on designed outside runs. While that's great, would like to see what he could do with some work between the tackles before getting injured. Edge runs become a hell of a lot tougher against the speed P5 defenses are going to bring.

So overall, I thought the RBs were solid but not spectacular. The OL was solid in the run game and inconsistent in pass protection, particularly on the edge. Not the end of the world, but I do think our Ts getting beat a couple times by straight speed rushes against FCS DEs is reason for concern.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’m fairly confident in saying that the “injury prevention” angle is fan fiction.
You'd be wrong. Never met a head coach that wasn't concerned about QB injuries. Doesn't mean all the fan theories are correct, but keeping Brock in the pocket is definitely in part to limit the hits he is taking.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Yeah, not buying that at all either. More like UNI had a gameplan that we can expect to see against ISU from time to time.

People love to piss on "bend but don't break" approaches to defense and want to blitz 10 guys, but Saturday was a perfect example of why it works. One penalty, one drop, one missed blocking assignment, an RB tries to bounce a run outside and loses a yard, etc. and your offense is behind the sticks and it blows a drive up. Really easy to take what the defense gives you, but most college teams, particularly in game 1 execute at the level of consistency needed to score lots of points when facing that disciplined a defense.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
From Halstead’s free 247 article recapping yesterday’s teleconference:

Many wondered afterward what happened to the dual-threat quarterback. Only time will tell how that part of the sophomore’s game unfolds this season, but Campbell said he was generally happy with how Saturday’s game played out for the youngster.

“The thing that I was really proud of Brock in the game, one thing we’ve really worked on is just the ability to keep him in the pocket and really trust the fact that we’re creating a pocket for him to be successful. I thought we did that,” Campbell said. “His pass efficiency was outstanding. There were certainly a lot of positives from that standpoint. I thought there was a lot of growth from the last time we saw Brock play to what we saw on Saturday. Will there be times we want to continue to use his feet and allow him to improvise? Certainly, but I think it was probably a product of stuff we worked on through fall camp and through the spring with Brock. There were certainly positives from that.”

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Saturday was a perfect example of why it works. One penalty, one drop, one missed blocking assignment, an RB tries to bounce a run outside and loses a yard, etc. and your offense is behind the sticks and it blows a drive up.

Really easy to take what the defense gives you, but most college teams, particularly in game 1 execute at the level of consistency needed to score lots of points when facing that disciplined a defense.
Give UNI credit, but our of offensive plan also helped create that thin margin for error.
The less you ask a defense to do, the less mistakes they make in Game 1, too. We willing made this a physical pillow fight.

We played well and had few abnormal mistakes. Like you said, it’s harder in Game 1 for offenses to execute at near 100%, yet that’s what we made this game about, rather than shifting more of that burden to UNI’s defense.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You'd be wrong. Never met a head coach that wasn't concerned about QB injuries. Doesn't mean all the fan theories are correct, but keeping Brock in the pocket is definitely in part to limit the hits he is taking.

Correct, about being concerned, but its also part of the risk of playing the position. It would be different if ISU ran the Iowa offense, we are a spread team, that runs RPO's, to do that effectively, means that the QB is running the ball.
Show me any team that runs an offense like what ISU is running that does not feature the QB run? Maybe OSU, and that is a stretch, but they also have better receivers than we do year in and year out.

Purdy needs to run to keep the defense honest, not be the primary runner, but a threat, that is all that I am saying.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Brock's force of emphasis this past off season was staying in the pocket, making reads, and making throws. He did just that this past Saturday. Now, I hope the coaches look at the game plan and film and realize that they need to let Brock loose a little bit because that's when he's at his best.

Moral of the story is that if we win this game by 10+, which didn't happen because we were vanilla, we'd all be saying "it was smart not to let Brock run around and get hurt in the first game of the year". Every one of us is over analyzing everything, when in reality, we played well offensively but didn't execute certain plays correctly that would've put the game away multiple times.

ISU needs a game this week so they can correct things and make us fans feel better.

*jimlad people.

But seriously it's going to be a long two weeks waiting to see where ISU is.

Reactions: khardbored

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
ISU needs a game this week so they can correct things and make us fans feel better.

*jimlad people.

But seriously it's going to be a long two weeks waiting to see where ISU is.

Yep. What will we have talked ourselves into a week from now is what I want to know.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Correct, about being concerned, but its also part of the risk of playing the position. It would be different if ISU ran the Iowa offense, we are a spread team, that runs RPO's, to do that effectively, means that the QB is running the ball.
Show me any team that runs an offense like what ISU is running that does not feature the QB run? Maybe OSU, and that is a stretch, but they also have better receivers than we do year in and year out.

Purdy needs to run to keep the defense honest, not be the primary runner, but a threat, that is all that I am saying.
I think the staff feels had he stayed in the pocket more often last year that there were openings for bigger gains, which also alleviates the need for Purdy to take a hit. I don't disagree about keeping the defense honest, but had we played a clean game that would have been a 23-6 kind of game. Nothing flashy, don't show your hand, and get out healthy. We had plenty of mistakes, but coaching conservatively wasn't the reason that game was close.

• Winner
Reactions: tolfbfan

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Lots of teams run their QB all over the place. It's not the NFL. Jalen Hurts ran all over Houston and took a pounding while doing it. Brock needs to run and run often... just needs to continue to avoid the big hits and he will be fine.

Taking away his legs is like tying one arm behind his back. Why limit what he does really well?

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Why is the pocket so much preferred? You are surrounded 4 280+ lb DL opponents coming at you. You can’t move forward or sideways. You are dependent on a historically bad OL for protection. With a rollout, you can move forward for positive yards (and slide) , you can run out of bounds to avoid contact. you are dealing with 1 or 2 210-220 pound defenders in the open field. You have a clear passing lane with no pass deflections.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Why is the pocket so much preferred? You are surrounded 4 280+ lb DL opponents coming at you. You can’t move forward or sideways. You are dependent on a historically bad OL for protection. With a rollout, you can move forward for positive yards (and slide) , you can run out of bounds to avoid contact. you are dealing with 1 or 2 210-220 pound defenders in the open field. You have a clear passing lane with no pass deflections.

Well it's not, but a lot of defenses will do whatever they can to prevent a QB from scrambling on them or even rolling out. Throwing from the pocket is very difficult to do. That's why defenses force QBs to stay in the pocket to beat them.

Because offensive coaches know this, they work really hard to train their QB to be effective from the pocket

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think the staff feels had he stayed in the pocket more often last year that there were openings for bigger gains, which also alleviates the need for Purdy to take a hit. I don't disagree about keeping the defense honest, but had we played a clean game that would have been a 23-6 kind of game. Nothing flashy, don't show your hand, and get out healthy. We had plenty of mistakes, but coaching conservatively wasn't the reason that game was close.

Granted but we played a "clean game" and had to go to triple overtime to beat UNI. Every team we play this year has video of Purdy and the offense, so unless we are going to totally change it up, what is the sense in saving it for Iowa and Keeping it vanilla?
I can see a play or two, but that is it, how about we show them everything and let them spend the week before our game overloading with data, instead of thinking "they have not seen this play, so they will be unprepared for it?". Half of one, and half on another, neither is the right way of doing it nor the wrong way.

But 3 overtimes to defeat UNI should never happen to a P5 school. And if it does, what does that say about the P5 school?

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Granted but we played a "clean game" and had to go to triple overtime to beat UNI. Every team we play this year has video of Purdy and the offense, so unless we are going to totally change it up, what is the sense in saving it for Iowa and Keeping it vanilla?
I can see a play or two, but that is it, how about we show them everything and let them spend the week before our game overloading with data, instead of thinking "they have not seen this play, so they will be unprepared for it?". Half of one, and half on another, neither is the right way of doing it nor the wrong way.

But 3 overtimes to defeat UNI should never happen to a P5 school. And if it does, what does that say about the P5 school?
We did not play a clean game in any sense of the meaning of the phrase. I did not insinuate that holding your cards was ONLY for the sake of winning against Iowa. If you really believe you have a chance to win a championship you make these decisions that affect the entire season. I'll go with Campbell's track record and judgement to this point. Whatever the staffs decides needs to happen is 10 fold to what you and many of fans think and say publicly.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We did not play a clean game in any sense of the meaning of the phrase.
How many cleaner games have we played in the last 2 years?

It was a flawed game plan that resulted in a very narrow margin for error. So bad that I’m optimistic we won’t see it again

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron