Is Purdy Hurt?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The sad thing is we are going to see the same thing against Iowa. We already saw it last year. We might as well take them of the schedule. I don’t think Campbell really even cares about beating Iowa.
giphy.gif

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

These are the current sagarin rankings. I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that's how they're analytically ranked right now.
Ok, so I said "average FBS team." If you only count P5 teams as FBS, then yes UNI is bottom 5. If you include G5 teams, which are part of the FBS, then UNI is number 82 out of 128. That's just within the middle third, which I think is reasonable to define as "average." They'd be in the top third of all G5 teams.

People might feel better playing someone like UConn, UTEP, Akron, etc but those are far worse teams than UNI. Louisiana-Monroe is at #130 in this ranking.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This thread is a monument to a great axiom...

The most fun you have as a fan is when you go from bad to contender.

Being bad sucks. Being a contender means you have expectations that are rarely met. But going from bad to good, not yet having expectations, being pleasantly surprised, and imagining the infinite possibility of an unwritten future... man, that is the fun part.

The basketball teams Georges' junior year, senior year, and the "Four Horsemen" year the year after were just as good, if not better, than the Kane-Ejim team. We tend to look back on the latter more fondly, however. We did not yet have expectations on us.

Once we had them, even if the program stayed the same/improved, we had less fun. Once you get banners and stars in your eyes, it is really all downhill as a fan experience.

The same process is playing out with the football team.
It’s not apples to apples but some of this same thing led to Mac getting canned.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ok, so I said "average FBS team." If you only count P5 teams as FBS, then yes UNI is bottom 5. If you include G5 teams, which are part of the FBS, then UNI is number 82 out of 128. That's just within the middle third, which I think is reasonable to define as "average." They'd be in the top third of all G5 teams.

People might feel better playing someone like UConn, UTEP, Akron, etc but those are far worse teams than UNI. Louisiana-Monroe is at #130 in this ranking.
Oh I'm not arguing with you. I'm actually on your side and am saying that UNI and other top FCS programs would be good teams in the G5.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get that. A couple people rated my post funny, so I was using your link to explicitly show that it's a solid argument - thanks for your help!
In 2012, Northern Iowa almost beat #12 Wisconsin. They lost 26-21. UNI is a very solid football team and if you keep the game close against them, they can find a way to make it go down to the wire. Just happy we won.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He's the reigning Big 12 Coach of the Year, not the reigning non conference Coach of the Year
While it's a good point, if Campbell wants to be able to ever make CFP (which will be very very tough), he has to be Iowa, plain and simple.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s not apples to apples but some of this same thing led to Mac getting canned.

If CMC is something like 56–85 after a decade ISU should go another direction.

Point is valid though--people need to be careful what they wish for if the same general principles have gotten ISU legit success and things like talent and depth have only improved.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I get that. A couple people rated my post funny, so I was using your link to explicitly show that it's a solid argument - thanks for your help!

I'm totally on board with what you're saying.

Do not underestimate how good UNI is. First of all, they have a good coach so they are always fundamentally sound. In fact, they have usually tackled better than ISU IMO.

Next... go up and down UNI's starting lineup on both sides of the ball.... the size is there, and the talent level at certain spots is just as good or better than ISU. Overall, yes ISU has more talent, but I mean at a spot or two on each side of the ball it's just as good or better.

UNI's defensive backs this year are very good, with lots of experience. They have two interior D linemen that have set different all time UNI weight lifting records this offseason. The one DE, Elerson Smith, is 6'7" and 250 lbs and runs like a deer. I believe he's the one that nailed Purdy and gave UNI 7 pts.

Their OL is bigger than ISU's at every postion along the entire line. I know that doesn't make them better, but gone are the days when the two teams walked onto the field and you could tell by the eye test which team was the FBS school and which one was the FCS school.

Saturday only proved that against a team like that, if you make some mistakes at critical times you definitely risk losing the game, and we definitely made a lot of mistakes, and UNI nearly did win.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
So my take is CMC did not want Purdy running the football. Obviously to avoid an injury but could it also mean he might not think Re-al or Kolar would be able to step in right now and is taking extra precaution? Just a thought.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So my take is CMC did not want Purdy running the football. Obviously to avoid an injury but could it also mean he might not think Re-al or Kolar would be able to step in right now and is taking extra precaution? Just a thought.

This isn't popular on here, but I agree with you 100% on this.

I feel like this staff knows we're in deep trouble if Purdy goes down. I know most teams would be, but I feel like ours might be worse than most. I think our #2 and #3 QBs are both coming in next year.

The only thing that makes me feel like this might not be the case is the fact that they moved Easton Dean to TE.... unless they figured he wouldn't be able to beat out Mitchell or Kolar this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This isn't popular on here, but I agree with you 100% on this.

I feel like this staff knows we're in deep trouble if Purdy goes down. I know most teams would be, but I feel like ours might be worse than most. I think our #2 and #3 QBs are both coming in next year.

The only thing that makes me feel like this might not be the case is the fact that they moved Easton Dean to TE.... unless they figured he wouldn't be able to beat out Mitchell or Kolar this year.

I think ISU's QBs are talented but green which is the case for a lot of other teams out there, and they want to develop Purdy into being more 'multiple' with better pocket presence. That's a tougher QB to prepare for because defenses would have to do more than just keep him there.

There have been far bigger upsets featuring FCS teams in the past few years and the world continued. More importantly, it didn't happen Saturday.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Campbell not caring about beating Iowa is my favorite hot take.

Yes, the reigning Big 12 Coach of the Year does not care about his team winning the games on their schedule.

Jesus Christ you’re using a cytwins troll as proof of an asinine statement.

Your micropenis is showing again.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
People need to come to terms with the fact that there is really no difference between a high level FCS school and an average FBS school. Everybody has access to high quality training and diet now, not just the blue bloods. FCS schools are more likely to retain and develop talent because it's rare for them to declare for the draft as juniors. At a mature program like UNI, they have a winning tradition and know how to keep it rolling. UNI is probably better than half of the G5 teams, and every G5 team with a new coach.

That’s great spin, but not particularly true, and even worse, missing the context of this matchup.

First, the reaction to Saturday is in the context of attempting to determine if Iowa State is a top-20, Big 12 dark horse, not an average FBS team.

Top FCS programs have a lot of disadvantages to even the G5, let alone P5. That is indisputable, and certainly not disputed when the occasional FCS team will knock off an average to bad FBS team (of which Iowa State is not expected to be). It just means the FBS staff did a bad job utilizing their advantages. It also means flukes happen in sports.

Don’t be silly, it’s appropriate to scrutinize.

• Disagree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron