Is Purdy Hurt?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why have him run when you have a stable of talented running backs. I don’t want him getting hurt - live to play another down. That being said, oline needs to protect.

You have him run to keep the defense honest, without it the DE crashes down and takes the run away from the backside.
The QB is not accounted for by the defense, that allows them to flow to the ball carrier, watching the replay there were numerous times if Purdy kept the ball, he could have went right around the corner for yards.
Granted ISU has been unlucky with injuries on the QB's, but that is not a reason to give up running the ball by the QB.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
I think that was directed by the coaches. When the game was on the line he took off on a scramble and dove on the loose ball. I think the coaches thought they could just line em up and win without doing anything special.

Hopefully we see a different player in two weeks.

if that's the case than I think that confirms concerns about CMC and company being rigid and lacking preparation. The early season strategy should not jeopardize winning a game soundly.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
if that's the case than I think that confirms concerns about CMC and company being rigid and lacking preparation. The early season strategy should not jeopardize winning a game soundly.

Wait.

Do people actually accuse Campbell of not preparing for games?

He’s probably the most prepared coach we’ve had in my lifetime....

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Wait.

Do people actually accuse Campbell of not preparing for games?

He’s probably the most prepared coach we’ve had in my lifetime....

I didn't mean to accuse him for not preparing for games generally. Just because you work hard preparing for a game doesn't mean you are prepared for obvious contingencies.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn't accuse him for not preparing for games; you're twisting my words. Just because you work hard preparing for games doesn't mean you are prepared for obvious contingencies.

UNI defensively would have been a tough prep as I don't think there was much film on that QB.

Offensively I wish they would have rolled Purdy out to try to bring the safeties up but maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Watching OU/Houston last night, and ND and Louisville tonight, I see the QB running a lot, picking huge chunks of yards and scoring TD's.

Here is hoping that we get back to Purdy running in two weeks against the Squawks.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
That ******* pass on 4th and one while the running game was rolling was the opposite of winning football. Not just a pass, but a horrible spot for it.

I had a aneurysm on that play and the play before. There was also a 2nd and 1 at about the 20 that was just screaming for a more aggressive play since we had another shot or 2 to go for the first down.

I am chalking it up to wanting to show nothing. I think the Iowa game is bigger deal to CMC this year than most will admit.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
It seemed like offensive playcalling was intentionally forcing ISU to play to through its weaknesses/fundamentals. Forcing the run game against defensive numbers/down and distance, forcing receivers to play in traffic vs stretching the field, forcing Purdy to stay in the pocket and forcing the o-line to keep a clean pocket. UNI deserves a lot of credit, they set up themselves up to make ISU work, but ISU was so unnecessarily risk-adverse that it made me wonder if it was all intentional so that the staff could use the gamefilm to harp on ISU's fundamental mistakes, of which there were many. Penalties, missed assignments, etc. There's also some covering up the playbook for later games, but it would be very Campbellian (in my opinion) for them to ratchet up the difficulty to maximize learning. If so, mission accomplished, but damn.

Defense played great, but I hope we're more we're more selective of when/how we blitz going forward. McElvain played mistake-free, an amazing performance, but most of the blitzes we sent played into UNI's hands.

Great thoughts really, but I wonder if another lens makes more sense. I don't think a coach would put their guys through adversity to the point where he leaves the game in the balance. Priority 1 is WIN. I think CMC had a reasonable game strategy that made sense on paper, and certain gains he wanted to see from his team but he lacked flexibility to modify the plan when it didn't work as well as expected, in effect jeopardizing the outcome of the game. I would say it's not part of the master-plan but lacking flexibility or getting a bit frazzled on the side-line because there may be a lack of contingency planning.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
A Championship Caliber team should be able to lineup and punish in these games. I don't believe CMC will ever show anything more than vanilla football in these type games. It will be great film for teaching and challenging. Next up!
Interesting approach. How many championships has that yielded for Campbell?

It’ll be great teaching and challenging for staff and players.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Watching OU/Houston last night, and ND and Louisville tonight, I see the QB running a lot, picking huge chunks of yards and scoring TD's.

Here is hoping that we get back to Purdy running in two weeks against the Squawks.

If ISU had been playing any of those teams, I believe full blown offense and defense would of been used. It's a double edge sword. Show nothing, show to much..

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If ISU had been playing any of those teams, I believe full blown offense and defense would of been used. It's a double edge sword. Show nothing, show to much..

I guess we will see in two weeks, but the last three games last season, Purdy stopped running the ball off the RPO, he did not run on Saturday.
I really hope you are right, but fear, the staff has told him, not to run, and that is a mistake if true.

• Agree
Reactions: hoosman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I guess we will see in two weeks, but the last three games last season, Purdy stopped running the ball off the RPO, he did not run on Saturday.

I really hope you are right, but fear, the staff has told him, not to run, and that is a mistake if true.
Agree. Iowa plays how CMC wants to play, KF is just better at the nuances of it and develops better OLs. We’ll need Purdy to be a wildcard they can’t account for in their move-forward style.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Are you sure about this?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There's no way Brock lasts 13 games running and taking multiple hits per game. Last year, we had the luxury of Kempt being able to take over. This year, we have Re-al, who is a relative unknown. Let's also not forget we have what looks to be one of our best defensive units in our history.

Moral of the story, our best shot is with Brock on the field. If that means we are more vanilla offensively, we just have to trust our defense to make up for that.

• Agree
Reactions: tolfbfan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There's no way Brock lasts 13 games running and taking multiple hits per game. Last year, we had the luxury of Kempt being able to take over. This year, we have Re-al, who is a relative unknown. Let's also not forget we have what looks to be one of our best defensive units in our history.

Moral of the story, our best shot is with Brock on the field. If that means we are more vanilla offensively, we just have to trust our defense to make up for that.
Brock's force of emphasis this past off season was staying in the pocket, making reads, and making throws. He did just that this past Saturday. Now, I hope the coaches look at the game plan and film and realize that they need to let Brock loose a little bit because that's when he's at his best.

Moral of the story is that if we win this game by 10+, which didn't happen because we were vanilla, we'd all be saying "it was smart not to let Brock run around and get hurt in the first game of the year". Every one of us is over analyzing everything, when in reality, we played well offensively but didn't execute certain plays correctly that would've put the game away multiple times.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

Every QB that is young and can run the ball eventually learns to slide or go down before contact that is coming straight at them. Brock has to run or we aren't going to win against the top teams in the conference.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Brock's force of emphasis this past off season was staying in the pocket, making reads, and making throws. He did just that this past Saturday. Now, I hope the coaches look at the game plan and film and realize that they need to let Brock loose a little bit because that's when he's at his best.

Moral of the story is that if we win this game by 10+, which didn't happen because we were vanilla, we'd all be saying "it was smart not to let Brock run around and get hurt in the first game of the year". Every one of us is over analyzing everything, when in reality, we played well offensively but didn't execute certain plays correctly that would've put the game away multiple times.

I agree with all this. I do think we are under-valuing the safety net that was Kyle Kempt last year. If Brock got hurt scrambling, we had a proven guy to replace him. This year, much more of an unknown.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree with all this. I do think we are under-valuing the safety net that was Kyle Kempt last year. If Brock got hurt scrambling, we had a proven guy to replace him. This year, much more of an unknown.
I don't think our coaches cared who our back up was last year, rather we cared just about winning games. Purdy was at his best when he was making plays with his feet, however QB's still need to be able to stay in the pocket and make throws. Purdy took all that UNI was giving him, however I do believe played a bit too conservatively himself. I'm sure him, Campbell, and Manning will look at the film together and discuss what they want out of him.