JAY JORDAN: UNI film review

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe, but that makes the choice to not run him or roll out the pocket even more confusing. He had zero actual rushing attempts. I cannot be convinced that is a good idea.
Well, if you don't count the TD that got called back.

By the way, on that play, what did people see? I missed the replay but a guy in our section said the replay showed the O-Lineman pancake blocking his guy with his hands inside and it wasn't a hold. Anyone want to comment or post a clip?

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

Campbell and the staff know what they're doing here. Doesn't make sense to publicly criticize the team after you get a win, no matter how ugly it was. But there are going to be plenty of teachable moments behind the scenes during days leading up to CyHawk game. Didn't like the early bye at the beginning of the season, but I think this young team needs that extra time to clean things up.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

By the way, on that play, what did people see? I missed the replay but a guy in our section said the replay showed the O-Lineman pancake blocking his guy with his hands inside and it wasn't a hold. Anyone want to comment or post a clip?

On the hold that called back Purdys TD? The lineman had his hands locked on shoulder pads. When the defender tried to disengage, the lineman yanked him back. If he would have just let go it would have been fine.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

From what I recollect, it wasn’t a pancake block, but you are correct that he did have his hands inside. He just held on slightly too long once the play developed past the line. It didn’t have an effect on the play and wasn’t a “hold” until Purdy was well into the secondary. It could have (should have) been a no call in my biased opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
UNI was a game that was maddening to watch as a fan in person and most of us walked out of there scratching our heads asking, WTH? Watching the tape, what I saw was a lot of correctable mistakes that stood out on film. Other than the obvious line misses, they didn't play that bad, although I would content that their misses were pretty huge (1 of the sacks the end came clean with no attempt towards a block by JGJ, the other there was an attempt at blocking, but the end got a quick step on BM and beat him to Purdy). This could be problematic against Iowa if not shored up quickly.

The penalties were not numerous, however they were untimely and killed momentum and drives. Other than the holding call on Purdy's TD run, they were aggressive penalties. Having said that, they are still inexcusable none the less and should get cleaned up. Hate to shoulda, woulda, coulda, but clean this up, and ISU comfortably wins.

In all, it looked like the first football game of the season. Not always pretty, but you can't argue with the result. The bye week is quite timely, and I wouldn't bet against Campbell in the next contest with video proof and an extra week to improve as a team. Notice I didn't mention the TOE. Ultimately, it is about getting the Cyclones to be the best versions of themselves as possible. Saturday just proved that there is a lot of work still to be done.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Something that drove me nuts and I did not understand was the lack of urgency on ISUs final drive in regulation. ISU got the ball with something like 7 minutes left and acted like we were the team with the 3 point lead. It was a beautiful clock eating drive that left no margin for error. We had to hit a kick that was almost identical to the kick that was just missed in the previous quarter or we lose the freakin game. WTF! Do we not have the ability to go uptempo?

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Good breakdown as always, Jay.

I agree that bigger runs were there and the RBs didn't take all that was blocked. It seemed very few times did our ball carriers attempt to hit their top gear after reaching the second level on a well blocked play. They seemed to want to pick and feel their way more than they should have after getting past the line. One of the things that made Montgomery so elite was he understood when to use tempo to set up defenders vs when to try to burst past them. He also seemed to enjoy finishing runs when he had to with a lowered shoulder and churning legs. I hope this is just inexperience and/or first game rust, and that a few of the guys show a more consistent burst when getting into the second level. I'm sure they will be coached to do so and seeing this film should help a ton.

I thought the team had a contrast in effort during regulation vs the overtime periods. Both sides of the ball found a new gear in overtime, and it was jump started by the defense on the first UNI possession. The crowd was more alive in OT as well, which may have skewed my judgement from my view in the stands. I'll have to re-watch the game this week to see if my impression still holds.

Glad the kids found a way to win. There are more than a handful of teams in my memory who may have wilted facing similar circumstances.

Reactions: JJIII

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Something that drove me nuts and I did not understand was the lack of urgency on ISUs final drive in regulation. ISU got the ball with something like 7 minutes left and acted like we were the team with the 3 point lead. It was a beautiful clock eating drive that left no margin for error. We had to hit a kick that was almost identical to the kick that was just missed in the previous quarter or we lose the freakin game. WTF! Do we not have the ability to go uptempo?

I thought that as well. I wonder if they were trying to keep the ball out of UNI’s hands as long as possible because when they would drive down the field it would be a long and methodical drive

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree, and the play calling on that drive was casual too. Huge connection on 4th down from near mid field and then the catch by Jones made it work.

Reactions: khardbored

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Good breakdown as always, Jay.

I agree that bigger runs were there and the RBs didn't take all that was blocked. It seemed very few times did our ball carriers attempt to hit their top gear after reaching the second level on a well blocked play. They seemed to want to pick and feel their way more than they should have after getting past the line. One of the things that made Montgomery so elite was he understood when to use tempo to set up defenders vs when to try to burst past them. He also seemed to enjoy finishing runs when he had to with a lowered shoulder and churning legs. I hope this is just inexperience and/or first game rust, and that a few of the guys show a more consistent burst when getting into the second level. I'm sure they will be coached to do so and seeing this film should help a ton.

I thought the team had a contrast in effort during regulation vs the overtime periods. Both sides of the ball found a new gear in overtime, and it was jump started by the defense on the first UNI possession. The crowd was more alive in OT as well, which may have skewed my judgement from my view in the stands. I'll have to re-watch the game this week to see if my impression still holds.

Glad the kids found a way to win. There are more than a handful of teams in my memory who may have wilted facing similar circumstances.

This reminds me of an interview with a linebacker I heard once. I do not remember the source of the interview or the name of the player, but something he said really stuck.

He was talking about his first plays in the NFL and how it differed from college. His first major experience in an NFL game was trying to tackle Eddie George, the the great Ohio State Buckeye and Tennessee Titan who has his jersey retried by both.

"In college, you hit the running backs. In the NFL, the running backs hit you."

Reactions: burn587

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay - Whats the deal with #74? Was he struggling that bad last year? #74 was the one that let the end by that led to the "fumble" return for a TD for UNI.
Yes. That was emblematic of his play since becoming a starter.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Nothing says conservative like getting the ball back with 1:30 on the clock before half and two timeouts and they just run the clock out. Super lame. It's almost like Campbell doesn't care about winning these early games. Like seriously guys, this isn't a preseason game, it counts.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Nothing says conservative like getting the ball back with 1:30 on the clock before half and two timeouts and they just run the clock out. Super lame. It's almost like Campbell doesn't care about winning these early games. Like seriously guys, this isn't a preseason game, it counts.

Agree. Whether we like it or not, CMC is more concerned about the long-term, how we do throughout and at the end of the season, than the first couple games of the year. He wants to see what he has to work with, what the team identity needs to become.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Campbell is conservative by nature. It's going to cause us to lose a game every now and then, but it'll keep us in most games and steal a few wins we otherwise might not have had. We started on the 9-10 yard line that drive, its not like we had field position in our favor.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell and the staff know what they're doing here. Doesn't make sense to publicly criticize the team after you get a win, no matter how ugly it was. But there are going to be plenty of teachable moments behind the scenes during days leading up to CyHawk game. Didn't like the early bye at the beginning of the season, but I think this young team needs that extra time to clean things up.

Bolded is key words here.

I think we as a fan base are associating 'returners' with being a straight veteran team and there's still plenty of learning and improvement ahead.

October has been when a real shift has taken place under CMC and if ISU is 4-0 or even 3-1 going in, plenty of good things on the table.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That’s not bad, but odd following throwing on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 at midfield the series before