JAY JORDAN: UNI film review

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We are conditioned to require scoring to be happy because we play in the Big 12. But the more I think about the UNI game, the more I'm okay with the conservative offensive game plan. UNI couldn't do **** against our defense. Their offense scored 6 points in regulation (3 of which was on a 50 yard FG). I wish we would have been more aggressive in the second half, but all in all, it was clear Campbell was leaving this game in the hands of the defense.

We better get used to this.

I think that is going to be our MO this season.

This defense is legitimate; I am not convinced we really have that much on offense. The line is meh, the running backs are meh, and we do not know how effective Purdy will be without DM drawing all the attention and/or Butler to throw it up to when things get dicey.

I hope this is going to be the "good version" of the 2005 season.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
We better get used to this.

I think that is going to be our MO this season.

This defense is legitimate; I am not convinced we really have that much on offense. The line is meh, the running backs are meh, and we do not know how effective Purdy will be without DM drawing all the attention and/or Butler to throw it up to when things get dicey.

I hope this is going to be the "good version" of the 2005 season.
I still don’t get “the running backs are meh” we had 185 yards rushing on Saturday, very balanced too. The team last year averaged 130 a game last year. Yes David is gone but all the running backs showed flashes on Saturday, Breece Hall is going to be a Star. If we win the game by 14+ people are saying “man the running backs all looked good”.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I still don’t get “the running backs are meh” we had 185 yards rushing on Saturday, very balanced too. The team last year averaged 130 a game last year. Yes David is gone but all the running backs showed flashes on Saturday, Breece Hall is going to be a Star. If we win the game by 14+ people are saying “man the running backs all looked good”.

I give credit to the OL for most of those yards. I wasn't very impressed with the RBs. They didn't really break tackles or make anyone miss. They just took what the OL gave them.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I generally agree with you that Saturday was not as terrible as the final score indicates, and if a few high-leverage plays go another way (and they easily could), then we win comfortably. We definitely dominated them on total and per play yardage measures.

Jay Jordan pointed this out, but with the running backs my concerns are...

-- They left a lot on the table. Montgomery would not have. I feel bad comparing them to one of the best backs in school history, but they have huge shoes to fill.

-- I think you are right that Hall could turn into a bell cow for us, but right now he is a true freshman one game into his college career. The issue with the other guys is none of them are really "complete" in the way DM was... Croney was probably the best but almost lost us the game with that fumble, Kene is a burner but has little else going for him... there is just not somebody I can point to that has the complete package right now.

This game did not hugely change my outlook for the season, though. I still think we are going to lean really heavily on the defense, play for field position and avoiding turnovers, and try to grind down and grind out other teams. We will see if it ultimately works.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
What’s fun about this supercut is that you get to see the pattern of the linemen’s feet during pass plays and run plays. Keeping that in mind, I thought there were three yards from scrimmage that a lineman could go, yet on two pass plays in overtime, UNI had linemen well beyond the three. Do refs see that a qb is just throwing it away and not flag them for illegal man down field? Also it seems that they run a timed quick route and the linemen immediately go down field but when the pass is delayed or busted they are beyond the three and should be flagged.

I noticed this as well. Especially on the 4th down play where they needed a score. Pretty sure a lineman thought his QB was running for it and was well beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball was thrown. Yet, we get called for ineligible man down field on a throw away ball.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
On the hold that called back Purdys TD? The lineman had his hands locked on shoulder pads. When the defender tried to disengage, the lineman yanked him back. If he would have just let go it would have been fine.

It was definitely holding, and it was another one of those plays were if he didn't do it, Purdy would have scored anyway. So, between the two bad calls that gave UNI TDs, the personal foul for the crack back, the personal foul for no helmet and this play it is pretty clear it was not ISU's day.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
It was definitely holding, and it was another one of those plays were if he didn't do it, Purdy would have scored anyway. So, between the two bad calls that gave UNI TDs, the personal foul for the crack back, the personal foul for no helmet and this play it is pretty clear it was not ISU's day.

By the rule book this was a hold. I think the defensive lineman did a great job of emphasizing it once he knew he was out of the play. Almost looked like he decided to flop.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
By the rule book this was a hold. I think the defensive lineman did a great job of emphasizing it once he knew he was out of the play. Almost looked like he decided to flop.

I have no issue with that call. It was nowhere near as bad as several others the refs didn't call on UNI, but I agree it was a hold.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We are conditioned to require scoring to be happy because we play in the Big 12. But the more I think about the UNI game, the more I'm okay with the conservative offensive game plan. UNI couldn't do **** against our defense. Their offense scored 6 points in regulation (3 of which was on a 50 yard FG). I wish we would have been more aggressive in the second half, but all in all, it was clear Campbell was leaving this game in the hands of the defense.
This false dilemma sure is comforting, isn’t it?

We scored just 13 points in regulation with only three trips to the redzone, with only 4 penalties and 1 TO. Being more effective at scoring isn’t a negative in regards to the ability of the defense to shutdown the opponent. We left it in the hands of UNI, and they didn’t blink.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The expert speaks.

Holding has always been a subjective call, as there is holding to some extent on every play. Not doubting Ben, as that guy knows more about OL play that I will ever know. Just irritates the heck out of me when a guy like Lima has 2 UNI guys clearly holding him, one with a arm around his head and ISU doesn't get the call. Certainly not the most egregious call last saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Pat

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Worst of all it was BORING

Agreeed, When people ask whether you'd like to watch us creme a not good team by 70 or have a close game with UNI. That isn't even close. Bring out the whopping because we've been on the receiving end far too often and I can hardly remember being on the right side. utter relief to win your first game is not a good thing.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

And we almost lost. A completely unacceptable loss. That is not a good game plan.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Holding has always been a subjective call, as there is holding to some extent on every play. Not doubting Ben, as that guy knows more about OL play that I will ever know. Just irritates the heck out of me when a guy like Lima has 2 UNI guys clearly holding him, one with a arm around his head and ISU doesn't get the call. Certainly not the most egregious call last saturday.
The refs were garbage. They had no consistency.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell is Ferentz 2.0. In fact, the game offensively was called in a way that would give 2012 Kirk the vapors with conservative excitement. And I'm not a Ferentz or Iowa hater, I have long said we should be trying to emulate that especially in a pass happy league. That said, I need to see more out of this offense right now, and with our two tackles being basically liabilities, we need to be getting Purdy out of the pocket.

I'd like to see more of what KSU did. Ball control, run base plays (or at least that's what it seemed) really well that are complimentary, but always have one or two players that can give you the explosiveness to keep defenses honest.

• Agree

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

We scored just 13 points in regulation with only three trips to the redzone, with only 4 penalties and 1 TO. Being more effective at scoring isn’t a negative in regards to the ability of the defense to shutdown the opponent. We left it in the hands of UNI, and they didn’t blink.
And yet, if three possessions had gone for TD's instead of drive ending mistakes, the score may have been 28-6. Yeah, I get it, they didn't, but what would the collective group be saying if that was the result? Pretty happy...right? Better to make the mistakes against UNI, learn, and improve for the next game.

Now, if we bring out the same boring, conservative offense against Iowa...then I'll jump on the WTF bandwagon.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Except they did blink....they lost.

Clearly the offense needs to get better, no question. But have you watched Campbell's teams over the past two season (two of the better seasons we've ever had BTW)? When we need to score 40 to win, we have. When we need to score 20 to win, we have.

My whole point isn't to have a "false dilemma", its to let all of the crazies who think the sky is falling after one game realize that it's really not.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And we almost lost. A completely unacceptable loss. That is not a good game plan.

No one said it was a "good game plan". Almost everyone is saying the offense needs to greatly improve.

But WE WON THE DAMN GAME. And I think (hope) Matt Campbell has earned the respect to show he will right the ship.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
All good points from Jay.

To an extent, I'm trying to understand CMC's perspective of being conservative. Keep guys healthy. Find out if his guys can execute basic gameplans. Not wanting to show opponents too much....

But the more I've thought about it, I don't like it. First, it almost cost us the game.
Purdy could also get injured being a statue in the pocket (hit his hand on a helmet, get a shoulder driven into the ground, get rolled up on). Why would you limit one of his greatest assets of making plays with his feet? I hope they don't do that all season. Shouldn't you be more concerned about what your team can and cannot do on the field, rather than trying to hide potential film from an opponent?

Jay, what are we doing on punt returns? We're not really selling out for a block, and we sure as hell aren't setting up for any potential return with 6-7 coverage guys running free. I'd prefer to try for a return each time, we have dynamic guys who can gain at least 5-10yds, maybe break a long one. Selling out for a block could potentially create a roughing penalty or burn us with a fake.
THIS. We are doing NOTHING on punt returns. Same as last year, only worse.

Last edited:
  • Agree