JAY JORDAN: UNI film review

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I find it interesting that you praise the offensive line play here. The site's posters have been ripping the their performance left and right.

@JJIII if I understand correctly, you're placing the lack of explosive runs on poor RB vision. Is this a system issue (RBs being taught to always follow their block) or a personnel issue?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I find it interesting that you praise the offensive line play here. The site's posters have been ripping the their performance left and right.

@JJIII if I understand correctly, you're placing the lack of explosive runs on poor RB vision. Is this a system issue (RBs being taught to always follow their block) or a personnel issue?

I would imagine this is a talent and RB thing --

DM was good at making nothing into something and something into a jackpot. We talked way more about the former, but he was equally good at the latter.

I am not trying to pick on our current guys. DM was just special. They will improve with more time and experience, but Saturday made them look like a young group.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017

I think the plays that stick out in the minds of fans are the costly plays that resulted in sacks (one a "fumble" recovery for a touchdown), or third down runs that didn't produce first downs.

I thought overall the offensive line played well. The running game was generally pretty efficient and Purdy didn't do a lot of scrambling out of the pocket.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017

Just a quick reply...the blocking in the run game was better than we have seen from these guys. We have rarely seen any explosive plays in the run game. Just the fact that there were opportunities is an encouraging sign.

That said, the RB’s missed some things, and failed to break some arm tackles that I would have expected them to run through.

I think it had more to do with the first game versus any teaching point or outright lack of ability. They will see better after the film study and run harder with the coaching references.

Nothing to be concerned about in my view.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Just a quick reply...the blocking in the run game was better than we have seen from these guys. We have rarely seen any explosive plays in the run game. Just the fact that there were opportunities is an encouraging sign.

That said, the RB’s missed some things, and failed to break some arm tackles that I would have expected them to run through.

I think it had more to do with the first game versus any teaching point or outright lack of ability. They will see better after the film study and run harder with the coaching references.

Thanks for the reply. Your weekly film room sessions are must-reads for me, so thank you for doing them!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Looks to me that #3 on that longish run in the article could have kicked it outside a bit at the second level and created that explosive play.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

great2baclone

May 7, 2014
Jay, I agree 1,000 percent that are RBs missed some opportunities on Saturday. You are correct that they almost always went down from arm tackles by the second line of defense. I will give Breece Hall a pass, because right now he runs like he is still in high school and needs to adjust to the speed of the game. However, my concern/question to you is this: Do we have a back on our roster that can make that second line of defense miss and break arm tackles? Iowa's second line of defense are always great tacklers, we need a back that can make them miss/or break arm tackles. Kene is very fast, but he runs high and has no moves. Johnnie Lang so far hasn't shown he can break arm tackles consistently. Sheldon Croney hits the hole when it is blocked correctly, and sometimes can break through arm tackles, but ball security could be an issue with him. Your thoughts? Maybe David spoiled me last year, but he never had the holes to run through that they had on Saturday.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Great take! Interestingly, Heacock on TV was irate about the first McDonald play at one of the players. Wonder whom and why. I suspect, not forcing the quarterback back and out instead of up and out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
upload_2019-9-3_13-12-20.png

-- DM bounces that outside and...
-- one defender is dead on the block, and the other one has to turn his momentum around and/or ends up tangled up in that block, freeing the outside
-- DM either just runs around him or runs him over
-- likely a big gain or more

Yeah, running right into the pile and potential tacklers (counting six of them up there, maybe seven if #2 coming over counts) is not exactly the optimal play.

It is really the offense in a nutshell on Saturday -- fundamentally sound in most ways, but lacking in the vision and aggressiveness to hit the home run.

There were a few bad pitches to take yard there for us. We just chose the easy singles. I hope we come out firing against Iowa. We are going to need to.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think the plays that stick out in the minds of fans are the costly plays that resulted in sacks (one a "fumble" recovery for a touchdown), or third down runs that didn't produce first downs.

I thought overall the offensive line played well. The running game was generally pretty efficient and Purdy didn't do a lot of scrambling out of the pocket.
One play that really stuck out in my mind was one where the left tackle blocked air and just to his left was an unabated UNI player who sacked Purdy. There was no linebacker deep and there weren't enough players on that side to stunt. The only thing I could think of is that he thought he had RB blocking on that side. Other than that, I could not imagine why he didn't place a hand on the UNI guy.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Jay, I agree 1,000 percent that are RBs missed some opportunities on Saturday. You are correct that they almost always went down from arm tackles by the second line of defense. I will give Breece Hall a pass, because right now he runs like he is still in high school and needs to adjust to the speed of the game. However, my concern/question to you is this: Do we have a back on our roster that can make that second line of defense miss and break arm tackles? Iowa's second line of defense are always great tacklers, we need a back that can make them miss/or break arm tackles. Kene is very fast, but he runs high and has no moves. Johnnie Lang so far hasn't shown he can break arm tackles consistently. Sheldon Croney hits the hole when it is blocked correctly, and sometimes can break through arm tackles, but ball security could be an issue with him. Your thoughts? Maybe David spoiled me last year, but he never had the holes to run through that they had on Saturday.
I agree w/ much that is being said here. Wondering if Brock may be that guy as he gets up to speed. The lack of burst or ability to break tackles was surprising. Only exceptions I can recall were Croney in OT on a few runs (wow, was impressive; where has that been?) and Kene on some of his outside runs - but, he appears to be purely a speed guy with no shake n bake.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Great take! Interestingly, Heacock on TV was irate about the first McDonald play at one of the players. Wonder whom and why. I suspect, not forcing the quarterback back and out instead of up and out.
I'm pretty sure I heard him yell, "You let him outside!" or "Don't let him outside!"

Reactions: isutrevman

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Jay - Whats the deal with #74? Was he struggling that bad last year? #74 was the one that let the end by that led to the "fumble" return for a TD for UNI.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
All good points from Jay.

To an extent, I'm trying to understand CMC's perspective of being conservative. Keep guys healthy. Find out if his guys can execute basic gameplans. Not wanting to show opponents too much....

But the more I've thought about it, I don't like it. First, it almost cost us the game.
Purdy could also get injured being a statue in the pocket (hit his hand on a helmet, get a shoulder driven into the ground, get rolled up on). Why would you limit one of his greatest assets of making plays with his feet? I hope they don't do that all season. Shouldn't you be more concerned about what your team can and cannot do on the field, rather than trying to hide potential film from an opponent?

Jay, what are we doing on punt returns? We're not really selling out for a block, and we sure as hell aren't setting up for any potential return with 6-7 coverage guys running free. I'd prefer to try for a return each time, we have dynamic guys who can gain at least 5-10yds, maybe break a long one. Selling out for a block could potentially create a roughing penalty or burn us with a fake.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
I will say for those of us that have been vocal about the offensive line its not due to run blocking. Shoot we didnt even run for it on the 4th downs. The pass blocking was not good especially as the game went on. Maybe Brock just ran for his life last year that skewed our perception.

• Creative
Reactions: bstegs

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron