Ohio State Egomania Trademarking "The"

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The best part is the Michigan tweet trolling this stupidity by pretending they were going to TM the word of.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">™ <a href="https://t.co/bx2vTBUtst">pic.twitter.com/bx2vTBUtst</a></p>&mdash; University of Michigan (@UMich) <a href="">August 14, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I feel like this is the kind of thing Urban Meyer is working on when I pass him on the bike trail every day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If you have ever met a true Ohio State fan, you understand how this is a thing.

Different than a Tavern Hok, but equally punch-able.

in college I attended a few events with clubs from various other colleges and without fail, if someone failed to announce them as "The" Ohio State, their group would all yell it back. So insufferable.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
in college I attended a few events with clubs from various other colleges and without fail, if someone failed to announce them as "The" Ohio State, their group would all yell it back. So insufferable.
Yes, I have had the same experience. They always accentuate the "THE" and my hand immediately makes a fist.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Who are they trying to look down on when they say "the"? All the other Ohio State Universities?

If someone called me Nard Dog, and I corrected them with "THE Nard Dog", that would just be me differentiating myself from all the other Nard Dogs, correct? I'm confused.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Who are they trying to look down on when they say "the"? All the other Ohio State Universities?

If someone called me Nard Dog, and I corrected them with "THE Nard Dog", that would just be me differentiating myself from all the other Nard Dogs, correct? I'm confused.

It probably stems from older times when nomenclature was different. Iowa has 3 “state” universities, Ohio has like 9. Now it’s just a self fellation.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yes, I have had the same experience. They always accentuate the "THE" and my hand immediately makes a fist.
WaterloggedMisguidedGuineapig-small.gif