Iowa State Uniform Discussions

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We've got the "150" patches this year, so I'd say it's the perfect year to whip out some cool retro uniforms!
No. Those are so hard to do well. I agree with the spirit of this but it just doesn’t ever look good.

• Disagree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No. Those are so hard to do well. I agree with the spirit of this but it just doesn’t ever look good.
If you're going to do a retro uniform, you HAVE to get it right. You can't just order a crappy set of them and call it good. We'd have to get the correct colors for all aspects of the uniforms and get it perfect. A lot of throwbacks turn out bad because they don't spend the money on high quality uniforms because they're only going to be used one time.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well one of those "state" flags is the country of Australia. So there's that.
Well for most of the world "state" is used to mean "nation" more than it is used to mean "province" like it is used in the United States. The whole thing comes from the idea that we are a confederation of sovereign states (or nations).

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
View attachment 65324 Yes I agree this should be in our Home rotation for sure. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time.

It is still surprising to me how many fans are against the gold pant, jersey or helmet. Kind of weird. It kind of makes sense to me though with some of our past uniforms.

Times have changed though. This uniform set is different, well thought out, simple and classic IMO. And we have a coaching staff that embraces alternating looks. What's not to like. I think there would be something for everyone if we were to add gold. Fans would eventually get one of their favorite looks during the year. Players, I think, love the the different looks, love different gear, etc.

I've never understood the loss of the gold/yellow helmet option. I remember when they did the I-State redesign and had the uniform options with white helmets it struck me as odd. We don't have any white trim on the home uniforms, so the white helmet just looked out of place. I'll admit, they look fantastic with our away uniforms though. I guess since they've added the black, we'll never see them, but I would rather have had the yellow helmet to go with a yellow pant, red jersey combo. Keep the red helmets, they still look OK with the away uniforms and we would want them for an all cardinal look. Could be I'm old school and when I became a fan, we had yellow helmets, but I think we are missing out on a really sharp look that few teams have.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I do not get why there would be any opposition to gold.

It is just as much of a school color as cardinal and differentiates us from the bevy of red and maroon schools out there. Our gold basketball uniforms...

san-diego-state-iowa-state-basketball-shutterstock-editorial-9989592a.jpg

...are absolutely great, too.

All gold is pretty good for basketball.

Not a huge fan of them in football...definitely that 'Ronald McDonald' thing. Maybe gold helmets too? I also think the below looks more yellow although a darker shade of gold is more of a 49ers look. Maybe an inbetween.

upload_2019-7-26_13-11-49.jpeg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
All gold is pretty good for basketball.

Not a huge fan of them in football...definitely that 'Ronald McDonald' thing. Maybe gold helmets too? I also think the below looks more yellow although a darker shade of gold is more of a 49ers look. Maybe an inbetween.

View attachment 65329

I ain't asking for gold jerseys and am mixed on gold helmets compared to many on here.

I just want C-C-G for home games and maybe C-W-G for road games occasionally. :)

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Well for most of the world "state" is used to mean "nation" more than it is used to mean "province" like it is used in the United States. The whole thing comes from the idea that we are a confederation of sovereign states (or nations).
Good Point! Now the former Boy Scout in me wonders if the Australian flag will be placed under the US flag, or side-by-side?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The I-State logo just does not look good on a gold background is the problem.

It looks good on white and black and okay on a red background, but the gold outline on a gold helmet just makes the thing kind of wash out and look like a thin "I" logo.

I thought Parks Library had the original cloth patches that defined our cardinal and gold...?

The I-State logo looks just fine on the gold helmet if it's a stencil.....

Ckw76XWVAAEsEcR.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yuck. I want a gold helmet option, but if we actually do it, the branded I-State logo could be adapted to the background. I prefer not to go half-*****.

Wut? I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Isn't the stencil one still the branded I-State logo? What makes is half-***** in your opinion?

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wut? I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Isn't the stencil one still the branded I-State logo? What makes is half-***** in your opinion?

I admit I was feisty when I wrote that. :) I should've said I prefer standard logo over the stencil --- I don't like that stencil prototype for some reason -- @Draf stencil example above is quite cool.
When streaming ideas I would suggest not getting too particular on shade of color. Both of these are 'about' the same. So no biggy either way, right?

I like the @Draf gold helmet with his stencil a little better because the cardinal color is more true, and I also prefer the solid cardinal "I", just looks better and more contrast to the gold background.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not bad, but I think I still prefer the stenciled look.

My first choice would obviously be the one on the right below (but it sounds like it will never happen)....

View attachment 65351

My second choice, and I know this will be unpopular, but a stencil of just the Cy below without the "Iowa State" part.....

View attachment 65352
Here we go!

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your opinion, that's fine. I hope we don't get into too much of a re-hash (OK I guess, I don't really care) on alternate logos though.

That said, yes, the Orr-tornado would be awesome!

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I was thinking, the Akron look last year, c-c-w (wht socks), my least favorite combo to date (that we've used anyway)... how would that look now with the new Cardinal jersey? Would it improve any? CyUni 2020  c7 - r r w 12 Redface RedSocksw a01ColCY.png OK a little better, red socks help but still not a great combo for me. CyUni 2020  c7 - r r w 12 Redface YelSocksw a01ColCY.png Would yellow socks help? Not so much. CyUni 2020  c7 - r r w 12 Redface BlkSocksw Blka28ColCY.png How about black socks and alternate modified black collar (that ship has sailed I think)? Maybe a little better, but I like black better than some on here. Still a meh for me.

C-c-w still not a great combo for me. Would gold pants solve that, use c-c-g instead, say once per year. Well, duh, yes!

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Does anyone know if it’s coaches, players, ath dept, Nike, or all of the above that don’t want gold (not yellow) helmets or pants?

Last edited: