OT: New Tarantino trailer

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Saw it today. Generally liked it. Loved the 60's ambiance which was a bit overdone but not awful or anything close to that. Some pretty great supporting minor roles especially Bruce Dern as George Spahn and Al Pacino as Leonardo's mentor/agent or whatever the heck he was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
This is Tarantino’s most reserved and funny movie he’s ever done. I loved it. It’s his love letter to the city and medium of movies that he grew up on.

But many will absolutely hate it. Gonna be a love it or hate it movie for sure. Leo and Pitt are at the top of their game in my opinion. Both will be up for oscars and Pitt might be tough to beat in supporting.

It’s staggering how Robbie channeled Sharon Tate.
I am a big fan of Tarantino, and the violence married to humor is absolutely brilliant and wonderful. But I have to ask - was it callous or disrespectful to Manson's victims?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It was good but it could have been edited down so much. It is 2 hrs and 40 minutes and feels like 2 hrs and 40 minutes.They could have easily shaved off 30 minutes and not lost any plot or ambiance.
So it's every Tarantino movie ever where it could be an hour shorter

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Loved it. I was crying from laughing in the parking lot still, bit sure what that says about me and that's a rare event to get me that good.

Performances were amazing, the true characters mixed in is uncomfortable for me but otherwise it was a greatly told story.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I saw it this afternoon, and while it's not my favorite Tarantino movie, it's also better than some of his I've seen.

Both Pitt and Leo are fantastic. Hopefully they both get recognized for their work.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I saw it this afternoon, and while it's not my favorite Tarantino movie, it's also better than some of his I've seen.

Both Pitt and Leo are fantastic. Hopefully they both get recognized for their work.

Both will, without a doubt.

Don't know about winning, but they'll be in the game.

Reactions: Angie

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I am a big fan of Tarantino, and the violence married to humor is absolutely brilliant and wonderful. But I have to ask - was it callous or disrespectful to Manson's victims?

After seeing it today I don’t think any reasonable person would find it disrespectful.

Movie really takes you to 1969 with wardrobe, cars, advertising in background, etc. Thought some of the stronger scenes were when Leo and Pitt were not on camera together.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
This is Tarantino’s most reserved and funny movie he’s ever done. I loved it. It’s his love letter to the city and medium of movies that he grew up on.

But many will absolutely hate it. Gonna be a love it or hate it movie for sure. Leo and Pitt are at the top of their game in my opinion. Both will be up for oscars and Pitt might be tough to beat in supporting.

It’s staggering how Robbie channeled Sharon Tate.

Yeah, I agree with it being the funniest one he's done yet, filled with laugh-out-loud moments. The pace definitely picked up after the first 1/2 hour. And the range and amount of music in the film is staggering, loved "California Dreaming" rendition by Jose Feliciano!

As with the Coen brothers, you know that at a minimum, the movie will be unique and interesting, especially when compared to the usual mundane fodder being peddled out there.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I just got back from four days backpacking through Zion NP but going to see this in the next few nights.

I live near Tarrantino's little classic theater he runs and it's playing there, although I think I'll opt to go see it at a big modern theater. It's a pretty cool place (New Beveryly Cinema). They always show two movies. One of his rotating by the week and a second movie that's an influence of his from the 60s, 70s or 80s. About half the time it will be a spaghetti western which I really love.

Reactions: Angie and simply1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, I agree with it being the funniest one he's done yet, filled with laugh-out-loud moments. The pace definitely picked up after the first 1/2 hour. And the range and amount of music in the film is staggering, loved "California Dreaming" rendition by Jose Feliciano!

As with the Coen brothers, you know that at a minimum, the movie will be unique and interesting, especially when compared to the usual mundane fodder being peddled out there.

His soundtracks never disappoint.

I can listen to the Django soundtrack on loop for an entire day. Who knew you could weave James Brown, Tupac, John Legend and classical Italian film scores and Italian ballads into a perfect work of art.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If you're going to do it, LA is probably the easiest city to make it authentic in.

I was around there a lot in those days, incredible work achieving that look.

Even the freeways looked right.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was around there a lot in those days, incredible work achieving that look.

Even the freeways looked right.

I really like watching movies I've seen a lot and now pairing them up to the real places they were shot. LA Confidential in particular was already one of my top 10 movies but now I can pair it to places they shot it.

I commute through Laurel Canyon half of the time and it seems anytime I read or listen to stories of rock and roll history there are rock legends talking about living there when they were coming up. Some parts of that area seem straight from the 60s while other parts look incredibly modern. I'm guessing quite a bit of this movie is shot in the hills?

• Informative

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Just watched it today and it felt like I took a time machine to 1969. Pitt outshined DiCaprio in my opinion, but both were great.

I really liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it for people who aren't fans of Tarantino. Several people walked out of the theater towards the end... I don't think they knew what they were getting into.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
On my facebook I have half the people loving it, half of them are saying they almost walked out it was so bad. Never really seen a movie get so differing opinions. Then again I bet Pulp Fiction would have got the same type of reviews back then online and now it's a masterpiece.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Saw it yesterday. Thought it was great, but can see how some would have a differing opinion.

I’ve never been a real big DiCaprio fan, but I thought he was really, really good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It was a bit self indulgent at times but overall an incredible experience. The shots of him driving around LA were incredible. It should definitely win some technical photography Oscars.

I'd rank it toward the middle of his films, which is a pretty impressive spot. Definitely an improvement from Hateful Eight and probably similar to Django comparing to the recent two. I think it might have been better without the narrator portions.

The "El Coyote" restaurant they go to is across the street from the 50s/60s style small New Beverly Cinema he runs that is playing the movie and always plays one of his movies. Would be a pretty cool thing to do on an LA vacation that few know about.