KU Selling Alcohol at Games

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What does everyone else doing it have to do with anything? If we sellout games there's no reason to change. Is there money in it? Yes, but there's money in it now and he's not interested. Something will need to change beyond "everyone else is doing it".

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ust because one drinks, it doesn't mean they are alright with drinking in every situation. J

I think the athletic dept sees it as a bit of an additional liability, so there are legal drawbacks, and they also want to maintain the "family atmosphere" of college football games.

Like I said in my other post, this is all a moot point because we will be forced to sell beer stadium-wide sooner than later when that is the norm in the market.

True, but I really don't think the refusal to sell booze in all of Jack Trice is a moral one. We already offer alcohol for those willing to pay a premium for that luxury. If we let everyone do it, it devalues that.

Also, if people know they can have beers at the game, they're going to be less likely to party before it. The pregame atmosphere is one of our biggest selling points.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If people know they can have beers at the game, they're going to be less likely to party before it. The pregame atmosphere is one of our biggest selling points.

I would bet large sums of money beer sales in the stadium wouldn't even put a dent in tailgating. I go to every game and tailgate at every game and guarantee you it wouldn't affect my habits. I think it would be the same for most.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jamie drinks. It ain't about that.

It's about protecting the value of luxury areas that sell alcohol, and preserving the tailgating culture (which is the only reason we draw well when we suck).

Only game I've been to where alcohol was sold was CU two years ago so not a great example but the beer garden kept most of the stadium too busy to watch most of the 1st quarter.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
True, but I really don't think the refusal to sell booze in all of Jack Trice is a moral one. We already offer alcohol for those willing to pay a premium for that luxury. If we let everyone do it, it devalues that.

Also, if people know they can have beers at the game, they're going to be less likely to party before it. The pregame atmosphere is one of our biggest selling points.

All fair points.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If drinking $10 beers appeals to you then you should be able to afford premium seating that serves alcohol.

IMO There are already plenty of drunks in the stands. Don't need more.

Almost every school that allows alcohol sales has seen a reduction in alcohol related incidents.

Because people aren't getting piled up right before the game, which ties back to my point on tailgating.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
If drinking $10 beers appeals to you then you should be able to afford premium seating that serves alcohol.

IMO There are already plenty of drunks in the stands. Don't need more.

There is also plenty of beer in the stands too. Not as easy to get it in there as before but it can be done .

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The title of the article is a good chuckle itself: "KU bringing beer, wine sales to masses at football games this fall"

I wouldn't quantify their football crowd using any word remotely related to "masses." Heck there may be more people in attendance at Sunday morning mass at a church down the road than some of their FB games lately...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
People complain about the lines at the concession stands now. Imagine the lines for beer...

Plastic cups (which is my understanding is all that are allowed) spill. There's no place to set them down, there's no cover to prevent them from sloshing all over your seatmates. Where I went to college beer was allowed in the stands. I have spent enough time coming home wearing other peoples' beer.

Seriously, you can't make it through a game without continuous booze? Seems like a personal issue to me.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I believe it is already over half the schools in the country are now selling beer and the number keeps growing. And it isn't just schools trying to get people to games that are selling it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
People complain about the lines at the concession stands now. Imagine the lines for beer...

Plastic cups (which is my understanding is all that are allowed) spill. There's no place to set them down, there's no cover to prevent them from sloshing all over your seatmates. Where I went to college beer was allowed in the stands. I have spent enough time coming home wearing other peoples' beer.

Seriously, you can't make it through a game without continuous booze? Seems like a personal issue to me.

I was recently at a venue where they had plastic spill reducing covers for plastic beverages. Worked great.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Yes, because anyone who likes to enjoy a drink at dinner, a movie, games, etc is an alcoholic. Insinuating anyone who supports beer sales at games is an alcoholic is a sh*tty take. I don't see anyone saying they are going to stop going to games over this.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This makes me think of the age-old question: So, you say you are selling alcohol now at games, but.....if there is nobody there in the stands to buy the alcohol, can you really say you are selling it?????? Its like an actor who says they are a professional actor, yet has never had a paid acting gig. Same thing pretty much.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yes, because anyone who likes to enjoy a drink at dinner, a movie, games, etc is an alcoholic. Insinuating anyone who supports beer sales at games is an alcoholic is a sh*tty take. I don't see anyone saying they are going to stop going to games over this.
Not what I said, but okay.

Edit:
Meh...in retrospect, that's probably how it sounded. My apologies.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
First point, the biennial ISU takeover in Lawrence just got even more enjoyable.

Second point, stadium wide alcohol sales at JTS instantly turn our fancy new south endzone club seats back into what they always were, the crappiest seats in the stadium. But now they come with armrests!

• Winner
Reactions: pulse