RECRUITING INSIDER: JUCO target for 2020

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Your first comment makes it sound like they've been steering their players away from us which isn't the case.

Maybe back in 2013 but with both schools having new staffs that’s certainly not the case.

Sorry if my comment wasn’t clear or was misleading

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
27.6% from 3

68.3% from FT

chloe.gif

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
When looking at his high school highlights.. The kid looks good. His shot looked nice too. Struggling your FR year from the 3PT line isn't unheard of. Also he did shoot 36% from the 3 in conference play which is nice.
Agreed...look at some of the high school kids trying to hit from the 3 at the U19 FIBA games...that line is a fair bit further out than high school.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agreed...look at some of the high school kids trying to hit from the 3 at the U19 FIBA games...that line is a fair bit further out than high school.
For sure. We'll see if we get him and what he turns out to be but we shouldn't get discouraged about his shooting numbers as a freshman at a JUCO.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I've seen Hills play several times the past season so a few comments.

First take stats like PPG with a grain of salt. They play a deep roster and rotate guys in an out a lot. Their best player (Tomas Woldetensae - going to play at Virginia next year) averaged 14 min/game which was the highest on the team. It's a run and gun fast paced game and players are in and out constantly.

As a point of comparison Tomas Woldetensae averaged 6 minutes per game and 8.8 ppg as a Freshman and turned into one of the top JUCO players in the country as a sophmore (he shot 47.6 from 3 and averaged 17 points a game in 14 minutes - average of 49 points/40 minutes).

Regarding Tyon he is a crazy athletic player. He had a few Rahshon Clark level dunks in games I saw as well as equally impressive blocked shots. Rahshon is probably the Cyclone that most comes to mind actually when I think of him. Not saying he's going to be that level of player, but long, thin, with crazy leaping ability and similar fit on the basketball court.

I would assume based on watching him he likely played mostly in the post in high school since he seemed to look more comfortable around the basket than the perimeter especially early in the season. As the year went out he showed more shooting and a better handle.

I also think his minutes were limited due to the fact that he often seemed out of place and a little lost on both ends of the court at times. With a deep bench and guys rotating frequently the Hills coach doesn't have much patience for not executing. There were several times I saw Tyon check into the game and make a mistake like not rotate on defense and come right back out. He's a freshman so not surprised by a higher level of mistakes.

Hills only had 3 freshman on the roster last year so I'd expect him to have plenty of opportunity this coming season.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Regarding Tyon he is a crazy athletic player. He had a few Rahshon Clark level dunks in games I saw as well as equally impressive blocked shots. Rahshon is probably the Cyclone that most comes to mind actually when I think of him. Not saying he's going to be that level of player, but long, thin, with crazy leaping ability and similar fit on the basketball court.

I would assume based on watching him he likely played mostly in the post in high school since he seemed to look more comfortable around the basket than the perimeter especially early in the season. As the year went out he showed more shooting and a better handle.

I also think his minutes were limited due to the fact that he often seemed out of place and a little lost on both ends of the court at times. With a deep bench and guys rotating frequently the Hills coach doesn't have much patience for not executing. There were several times I saw Tyon check into the game and make a mistake like not rotate on defense and come right back out. He's a freshman so not surprised by a higher level of mistakes.

Hills only had 3 freshman on the roster last year so I'd expect him to have plenty of opportunity this coming season.

So he is a more athletic Zion Griffin?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He does play a lot like Javan Johnson on film. I'd say a more explosive athlete though.

Man he is fast and explosive. Give him another summer and his shot could come along nicely.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
He has better ball handling skills than Hogue and about as athletic as Rahshon. Not as good of a shot as Rahshon though. Not sure who to really compare him with. If the staff wants him I am ok with that. I would rather get one of those freshman but we shall see.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

He even wears #13!