***Official Smoking (Meat and Stuff) Thread***

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m smoking some stuff called Durban Poison. It’s South African and it smells like a citrusy cleaning agent.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Doc

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I have some bullhead I'm going to smoke this weekend, anyone know if it will make other meats taste fishy if in there at the same time? I don't want fishy tasting pork loin.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have some bullhead I'm going to smoke this weekend, anyone know if it will make other meats taste fishy if in there at the same time? I don't want fishy tasting pork loin.

I’ve never tried it with bullhead but soaking the fish in milk will pull out some of the odor in the fish.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Looking to get out the smoker this weekend, trying to decide between pork shoulder and brisket. Anyone have experience with how well Brisket freezes for leftovers?

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
How long does an average sized frozen brisket take to thaw out before throwing it on the smoker? I've had one in the freezer since November and want to cook it soon.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How long does an average sized frozen brisket take to thaw out before throwing it on the smoker? I've had one in the freezer since November and want to cook it soon.
All day. From morning to night.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Like you said, depending on the size of it, it could take a day or two. I have taken a 15 lb one out and has taken 3 days before. If you take it from the freezer to fridge. If you let it set on the counter and thaw, it would obviously take less time. I have taken partially frozen briskets on the smoker before but I start them at 150 for at least an hour and then bump the temps up 20 degrees or so every hour for at least the first 4-5 hours (love my GMG WiFi with the ability to set up profiles on the phone app). Have seen people trying the hot and fast method of cutting the time in half, but I still prefer low and slow. Nothing fancy just kosher salt and pepper at 50/50 rate.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Last Sunday I bought a 4 pound brisket from Sam's and put a rub on and covered it over night. Put it on the smoker Monday and left it on 225 all day with no attention as we were gone. Came home after 8 hours or so and it was a bit over done, but so effing good nevertheless. In fact I've had a brisket sandwich every lunch this week. Sadly I'm eating the last one now.

Reactions: Acylum

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Bullheads?

200w.webp
They were pretty good and I don't like fish really. I only eat catfish, cod and tuna. I'd throw em on there again but they aren't something I would consider a whole meal, need another meat to go with. A good different taste in small doses.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've done eye of round before. Did a reverse sear on it to finish it. Got a 7 lb one at Sam's. Doesn't take but 4-5 hours to complete.

upload_2019-5-30_13-40-37.png

Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron