RECRUITING: Wheeler impressed by Iowa State visit, eyes May 6 decision

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think landing a grad transfer wing is the difference between going to the tourney or not. I don't believe the team will be 2017 awful in any way.

I do believe if we roll into next season functionally with what we have now, and Prohm makes the tourney, he's Big 12 COY. We'd be picked toward the bottom of the league for sure and making it would mean guys on the roster made MAJOR strides. Not impossible, just not anything I'd be banking on.

If we roll out with this team. I don't think we make it to the tourney. Maybe not 2017 bad but still not good enough. Maybe an NIT type team. I think adding a grad transfer that can add 9 points 6 boards might put us up to the next level.
Still would like to get Grill. I see him going to UNLV though. Which again we lose to UNLV every time. It's actually funny how much better we are year in and year out than the team we always lose recruiting battles to.

We are due for a year where we surprise and overachieve relative to expectations and talent.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not adding anyone would simply make the margin for error (or injury) much slimmer. The 2017 team could have been much better if they had dodged the injury bug but they didn't and didn't have much functional depth to speak of. Having more capable bodies gives you something to fall back on if (when) bad things happen.

• Agree
Reactions: hoosman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'll say this, I'm not particularly long term focused. I don't really care about the freshman. It'd be nice to have them in our back pocket, but ultimately they won't swing next year. To be totally frank just having Wigginton come back (obligatory I know this is a long shot) would be a successful spring.

Agree. I think we need:

1. Wigginton or an impact grad transfer
2. A role player
3. A sit out

Obviously, Wigginton is the best option, and if he comes back, I'm not too concerned about it. For the record, I think we have a chance to be good with what we have in the stable right now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'll say this, I'm not particularly long term focused. I don't really care about the freshman. It'd be nice to have them in our back pocket, but ultimately they won't swing next year. To be totally frank just having Wigginton come back (obligatory I know this is a long shot) would be a successful spring.

True enough -- if Wigginton were a graduate transfer, he'd be the best in the country except for maybe that guy from Virginia Tech. He could go just about anywhere.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I’m counting on Halliburton and Conditt improving, Jacobson being as solid as last year, and a healthy Solo. Not a bad returning core.

I think it’s going to come down to how much of an impact Nixon makes, and if we see any improvement from Terrence and Zion to see if we are a tournament team or not.

Agree with this. I don't know why everyone is so up in arms. People keep discounting the incoming recruits like they are Beverly and Brase. They are going to surprise just like last years crop of freshman. Leech is the real deal and barring any more injuries......we won't have him for 4 years. I see him stepping right into where THT left off. Except without the attitude. Nixon is a smaller version of Kane and Solo is better than Lard. Shayok and LW will be hard to replace. But like I said above.....it's not like Brase and Beverly are on the bench. We have talent with Terrance, Zion and George. Personally, even if they don't add one recruit.......I will be surprised if they DON'T make the tourney next year.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Agree with this. I don't know why everyone is so up in arms. People keep discounting the incoming recruits like they are Beverly and Brase. They are going to surprise just like last years crop of freshman. Leech is the real deal and barring any more injuries......we won't have him for 4 years. I see him stepping right into where THT left off. Except without the attitude. Nixon is a smaller version of Kane and Solo is better than Lard. Shayok and LW will be hard to replace. But like I said above.....it's not like Brase and Beverly are on the bench. We have talent with Terrance, Zion and George. Personally, even if they don't add one recruit.......I will be surprised if they DON'T make the tourney next year.

Wondering if he will return to the athlete he was before the leg injury or will he become a Peter Jok. I would love if he returned. However, I would take a Peter Jok type player that is better at defense. Kid that can constantly knock down the 3. Jok's problem was defense.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Just checked 247 one last time to see if any crystal balls had been changed/updated and that was not the case. Onto the next it seems!

Help Support Us

Become a patron