MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I fell asleep listening to it on my phone. When I woke up, phone was dead and I didn't check to see that the game wasn't even over with, so didn't discover the final score until just a few minutes ago this morning. An 18 inning game - not sure what it is about the Giants where they love those so much. They're not great for the fans. Looks your Rockies are off to an even rougher start than SF. Might be a long season for both of us. At least LA is on a 5-game skid!

Started out 2-0 and we are 1-11 since. Pitching for most part has been solid but getting no run support. Crazy since our lineup has solid hitters in it.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Started out 2-0 and we are 1-11 since. Pitching for most part has been solid but getting no run support. Crazy since our lineup has solid hitters in it.
Kinda the same thing with SF - pitching has been decent for the most part, but virtually zero run support along the way. Kevin Pillar joining the team has accounted for nearly 25% (10) of SF's RBIs thus far and he didn't even arrive until the sixth game. Posey has yet to get an RBI, Pillar and Belt are the only players with more than 5. The lack of runs has Bumgarner sitting at 0-2 after three starts and even HE has two more RBIs than wins. :confused: Very frustrating, to say the least.

But, I AM happy that Oakland is playing some watchable ball. Their pitching may not always be solid, but can usually outscore the other team, as evidenced by last night's 8-6 win at Texas after trailing 6-1.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But, I AM happy that Oakland is playing some watchable ball. Their pitching may not always be solid, but can usually outscore the other team, as evidenced by last night's 8-6 win at Texas after trailing 6-1.

Kinda helps that Davis homers everyday single day! :eek:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankee B squad getting shutout by Ivan Nova through 4 but at least Sabathia is matching him but Sabathia ain't pitching more than 5 today in his first game back.

Edit: bottom of 7th and Yankees execute a safety squeeze bunt. Cannot remember the last time they did that. And Wade got a good bunt down for the RBI. :eek:

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
More Yankee B Squad expansion. Another Yankee goes down. Twelve guys on the IL now. :eek: No big loss this time as Greg Bird was doing nothing and looked totally lost at the plate.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/greg-bird-on-il-with-torn-plantar-fascia

Greg Bird has to be the 2nd most fragile player in major league baseball following Jacoby Ellsbury (aka Glassbury). Just so they could have a complete trio they went and signed Troy Tulowitzki in the off season. :rolleyes:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
This was the worst call by an ump that I've ever seen live. The ball wasn't even within 1 ft of Goldy's bat and he called a tipped 3rd strike. What a joke. Cards had 2 on and 1 out with their best player up in a close game...

He obviously didn't tip it, but did he go around anyway?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

It was too close to call, but he looked like he held up to me. The call on the field was a tipped third strike. So that’s where the huge error lies. If he doesn’t make that call, Goldy still gets a chance to hit.

Either way...good lord, ask for some help. Check with the first base umpire.

Also, how is that not a reviewable play? Did the ball hit the bat or not? We’re going to rely on an umps ears in a stadium of 40,000 fans? That’s all the ump could say to Shildt “I heard a foul tip.” No, you heard two clicks and assumed it was a foul tip without any other evidence.

And the umps wonder why we want to get rid of them...

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
He actually hit Pina's glove, which is what the ump heard, so it should have been called catcher's interference. Kulpa actually had to leave the game after taking a pitch off the mask. 3rd home plate ump in our 3rd straight series to leave the game.

• Informative

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It was too close to call, but he looked like he held up to me. Either way...good lord, ask for some help. Check with the first base umpire.

Also, how is that not a reviewable play? Did the ball hit the bat or not? We’re going to rely on an umps ears in a stadium of 40,000 fans? That’s all the ump could say to Shildt “I heard a foul tip.” No, you heard two clicks and assumed it was a foul tip without any evidence.

And the umps wonder why we want to get rid of them...
He actually hit Pina's glove, which is what the ump heard, so it should have been called catcher's interference. Kulpa actually had to leave the game after taking a pitch off the mask. 3rd home plate ump in our 3rd straight series to leave the game.

Good thought. It’s tough to tell if that’s what happened from the slo-mo. But it certainly looks like his bat might have grazed the mitt.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
You know what's really great? Picking Chris Sale in the first round of your fantasy draft.
You know what's more great? Benching James Paxton in your lineup and going with Sale because you thought he'd maybe rise to the occasion of a big rivalry series and do something right.
The best part? Paxton is dominating and Sale is shitting a big ole turd on the mound again!

Yay me!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You know what's really great? Picking Chris Sale in the first round of your fantasy draft.
You know what's more great? Benching James Paxton in your lineup and going with Sale because you thought he'd maybe rise to the occasion of a big rivalry series and do something right.
The best part? Paxton is dominating and Sale is shitting a big ole turd on the mound again!

Yay me!

And game time length, 2:23. :eek:

Most Yankee/Sox game run close to 4 hours. Was just listening to MLB studio talking heads and Harold Reynolds was talking about how quick Paxton was pitching. Get ball, throw ball, get ball throw ball.

Last edited:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Braves bullpen is the biggest pile of steaming poo in baseball, I'd like to DFA everyone of them.
Bartender! One Kimbrel, please!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Braves bullpen is the biggest pile of steaming poo in baseball, I'd like to DFA everyone of them.
Bartender! One Kimbrel, please!

He'll get a contract when he and his agent back far enough off the 5-year $100M they wanted even into this spring. Ain't nobody paying him that or signing him for five or six years like where they started out. Maybe a 3-year for $35M - $40M, something like what Britton got from the Yankees. Maybe.

Same thing with Keuchel. He wants (wanted?) a long term deal for ace money but the teams that can afford him would have him slotted as a #3 in the rotation guy. They ain't paying him #1 money or signing him long term. My Yankee fans are clamoring to sign him but, assuming Severino comes back healthy, Dallas would be like their #4.

• Agree

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land

Yay me!
I'll take the bullet and trade for Sale to make you feel better if I must...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron