Dixon to UCLA

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'll give him credit for at least putting in the time and not just expecting to have a job handed to him. He's been an assistant coach with the Raptors and then their G League team's head coach for a couple years, so it's not as if he'd be coming in with a total lack of experience.
I believe Vandy's AD was running the G-League before taking the Vandy job and thus the tie.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I believe Vandy's AD was running the G-League before taking the Vandy job and thus the tie.

Could be. Anyhow, I agree that it was a mistake to fire Bryce Drew but I get what they're trying to do by hiring Stackhouse. Could end up being a good move if his name recognition brings in some good recruits.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
See West Virginia and Oklahoma State. Iowa State last year. TCU and Texas Tech for years before that. OK to have 1 or 2 like we have had. But the point jbh made is right on. If Tech and TCU go in to the shitter, that is not good for a 10 team league where Ok State and WV already look down (maybe for more than a year or two). It's what happened quickly to the PAC12.

I agree that we don't want to have 4 bad teams in a 10 team league, but we are quite a ways away from PAC 12 level right now. We just sent 60% of our league to the tourney and have one in the Final 4. Having one or two bottom feeders isn't going to hurt us if we keep bringing 5-6 to the tourney every year. *

Plus, we aren't starting our games when 75% of the country is getting ready to go to sleep, like the PAC 12. Viewership is still a big factor when ESPN is pimping out teams and conferences. If Kansas isn't in the mix, the talking heads aren't going to give as much love to the Big XII, though. Like it or not, a blue blood is needed to keep the spotlight on us.

*I also don't envision WVU staying down very long. I could see them easily having the biggest turnaround from this year to next.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
There’s so much talent in Texas and TCU has the money to spend. It’s unlikely TCU ever goes back to being so bad imo.

I'd argue it's not unlikely at all. Look at Illinois. They were a top program for years and now they're a perennial cellar dweller despite having B1G money and being close to Chicago.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Could be. Anyhow, I agree that it was a mistake to fire Bryce Drew but I get what they're trying to do by hiring Stackhouse. Could end up being a good move if his name recognition brings in some good recruits.

The old coach brought in McDonald’s all Americans that got hurt.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The Big 12 will certainly be interesting. KSU and Tech losing firepower means KU likely the favorite. Hoping ISU can be middle of the pack and surprise some folks.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
True, aren't they under investigation?

I don't think they are yet, but one of the assistants has been linked to the Adidas scandal.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ding-court-filings-tcu-reportedly-one-schools

In the indictment filed Thursday, Dawkins allegedly met with the TCU assistant in July 2017 in a Las Vegas hotel room. Dawkins gave the assistant $6,000 to steer players to hire Dawkins’ services once they declared for the NBA.

In Sept. 2017, according to the indictment, Dawkins and the TCU assistant had a phone conversation about arranging a meeting between Dawkins and one particular player. According to the document, they discussed that “the player was likely to be drafted in the NBA draft and that it would be a ‘lay-up’” for Dawkins to sign him.

Three assistant coaches associated with Oklahoma State, Arizona and Southern Cal were listed as defendants in the federal case when it was initially filed in Sept. 2017. All three have pleaded guilty.

The coaches named in Thursday’s indictment are not likely to receive criminal charges, according to Yahoo!. However, the actions described in the federal document are prohibited by the NCAA. The NCAA has not issued any penalties against the schools or coaches previously named in the federal case.

• Informative
Reactions: clone1990

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'd argue it's not unlikely at all. Look at Illinois. They were a top program for years and now they're a perennial cellar dweller despite having B1G money and being close to Chicago.
Any program can be besieged by a bad hire, and Groce was a bad hire. Even then they’ve still had 4 losing seasons in 20 years.

TCU is setup to have success.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Back to the cellar TCU goes. Dixon was a fantastic coach and could recruit to TCU. They better be very careful of who they hire next.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Wanna end up like the Pac-12 and get one or two teams in the NCAA tourney every year? Then fill your conference with crappy coaches. I never understand why people celebrate when the Big 12 loses good coaches. Beating crappy teams accomplishes nothing; nobody is impressed.

Groupthink.

Dixon is outstanding. He will do well there

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Why? I thought fanbases should be happy when our own move on to bigger and better things. It's a bad look to be upset. At least that's what all the pundits and people who are more emotionally secure are saying.

There is a huge amount of irony to the post you quoted here.

Well done

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Having one or two bottom feeders isn't going to hurt us if we keep bringing 5-6 to the tourney every year. *

Lacking consistent bottom feeders has been working well for the Big 12. Why change it? In the decade of 2001-2010, when there were consistent weak teams, there were 3 times where a 12-team Big-12 sent only 4 teams to the tourney.

Why do you want consistent bottom feeders anyway? Does it make you feel better about yourself when ISU beats a bad team? I don't think that consistent bottom feeders in a 10-team league is a good thing, especially when it comes to negotiating TV and media deals.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Yes, the Vandy AD used the run the GLeague and Stackhouse won a GLeague title, so they have history. Plus both have ties to UNC and Stackhouse knows he might be a candidate to replace Roy down the line if he can have some success at Vandy.

Reactions: surly

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Lacking consistent bottom feeders has been working well for the Big 12. Why change it? In the decade of 2001-2010, when there were consistent weak teams, there were 3 times where a 12-team Big-12 sent only 4 teams to the tourney.

Why do you want consistent bottom feeders anyway? Does it make you feel better about yourself when ISU beats a bad team? I don't think that consistent bottom feeders in a 10-team league is a good thing, especially when it comes to negotiating TV and media deals.

I would disagree that its been working all that well.

We've been getting teams in the tournament, sure, but the fact that everyone beats each other up in conference has hurt seeding and that ends up making the tournament paths harder as well.

You want some sort of balance.