Dixon to UCLA

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
While I think Dixon is a good coach, that's a job that needs some flash. I don't know if he's got that LA personality.

He's got the LA hair, though.

upload_2019-4-3_10-6-25.jpeg
images

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
In what way?

Look what he did with TCU. TCU has never had good teams and Jamie turned that program around. He was totally unlucky this season when he best guard got hurt otherwise they could have done some serious damage. Alford took the Iowa program down. Then didn't do much at New Mexico, then did Jack squat at UCLA

Dixon has been to the Elite 8 and sweet 16 numberous times at Pitt and you see how good Pitt has been since he left. Has had some good records of 31-5, a couple 8 loss seasons, 28-6 one season. He has done a really good job at non power schools. Give him the recruiting of Socal and I think he will kill it.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Look at Alford's resume. Not much different than Dixon's. Pretty similar winning percentage. Alford has more sweet sixteen appearances but Dixon has an elite eight. Alford recruited well at UCLA.

Alford had three sweet 16's at UCLA, but prior to that he couldn't get past the round of 32. It's also MUCH easier to have success at a blue blood school like UCLA that basically sells itself, as opposed to TCU that has zero basketball history.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
They realize they are getting Ben Howland again right?

After dealing with Alford they probably would take Howland back again.
'
Dixon is a good hire for UCLA, he is originally from North Hollywood should be able to recruit and respected for his coaching.

I do agree this is a major hit for TCU basketball, he was getting some players there and with the new facilities had them as difficult win. (as ISU has experienced). It won't be a desirable job for a coach to take over, considering Texas is always there, TxTech rise nationally, Baylor has some success and now A&M getting Buzz Williams are going to be recruiting against them. TCU is going to really need to commit to a big deal to recruit a coach even near the level of Dixon to stay relevant.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Look what he did with TCU. TCU has never had good teams and Jamie turned that program around. He was totally unlucky this season when he best guard got hurt otherwise they could have done some serious damage. Alford took the Iowa program down. Then didn't do much at New Mexico, then did Jack squat at UCLA

Dixon has been to the Elite 8 and sweet 16 numberous times at Pitt and you see how good Pitt has been since he left. Has had some good records of 31-5, a couple 8 loss seasons, 28-6 one season. He has done a really good job at non power schools. Give him the recruiting of Socal and I think he will kill it.

They have very similar winning percentages. Alford has been to 4 sweet sixteens. Dixon has been to 2 sweet sixteens and one elite eight. I don't know. Seem to have pretty similar resumes to me.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Billy Tubbs was at TCU for 5 years, and for all five of those seasons, he had winning records, including 20+ wins in his last 3 seasons.

That was in 2000 and they have nothing since. If that is the benchmark then UNLV should have a pick of any college coach since they have a fantastic history.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wanna end up like the Pac-12 and get one or two teams in the NCAA tourney every year? Then fill your conference with crappy coaches. I never understand why people celebrate when the Big 12 loses good coaches. Beating crappy teams accomplishes nothing; nobody is impressed.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Point taken, but that was a while back. For the majority of the 21st century TCU basketball has been a garbage program.
That was in 2000 and they have nothing since. If that is the benchmark then UNLV should have a pick of any college coach since they have a fantastic history.

Hire crappy coaches...get crappy results...it's not rocket science. The point is that a good coach can be successful at TCU.

I expect them to break out the checkbook.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Wanna end up like the Pac-12 and get one or two teams in the NCAA tourney every year? Then fill your conference with crappy coaches. I never understand why people celebrate when the Big 12 loses good coaches. Beating crappy teams accomplishes nothing; nobody is impressed.

Well, it would be nice to have one easy team on the schedule in conference play. Doesn't mean people want the whole league bad.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

There's a plethora of ****** coaches in the ACC. They don't seem to mind. They're rewarded with amazing seeds come tourney time. People love good-looking records.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride