Home court

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So if this team gets to 12-6 or 11-7 in the conference that would be very good historically for ISU. Do people really care where the wins happen? All things being equal give me a team that slips up in a few home games but gets some big road wins. Bodes way better for March.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cyfamily

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
So if this team gets to 12-6 or 11-7 in the conference that would be very good historically for ISU. Do people really care where the wins happen? All things being equal give me a team that slips up in a few home games but gets some big road wins. Bodes way better for March.
Obviously winning the regular season would be great, but winning in March is what matters to me most. If we can get to the sweet 16 and beyond, I'll be very happy.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Start of the year all I wanted was to get back to the dance. The team has grown and improved all year to the point of being in the title chase. Then when this fairly young team hits a bump, we tend to overreact. Let's remember only one starter played any Big 12 games last year....it's a long season with more fun to come. Go State!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ehhhh. Thinking about it...not sure this team is as good as we want to believe it is.

Last 3 games have been brutal even though we win two of them. We have some glaring shortcomings and teams have figured them out.

"teams have figured them out.".............Might just be the best comment today, I will say that Jamie Dixon with 3 straight wins over ISU has us figured out......I had to laugh when csp said..."everytime we got a run going Jamie Dixon would call a timeout.....

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
According to Bart Torvik's ratings, only tied for the 9th-worst home loss in the Hoiberg/Prohm era. Then again, most of those losses were from two not-great years.

TCU.jpg

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like Steve and what he's done to help keep the program relevant post Hoiberg. But today sucked. Dixon totally depants prohm today, and has beat us 3 times in a row. Starting to get some insecurity in prohms ability to play chess. We win when we're shooting hot and out athleting the opponent. But when that doesn't work like today, like Kansas State, like Iowa... where is the drawing board? Where are the adjustments? He seems to just cross his fingers and hope our guys can shoot themselves out of slumps, make a big play, get a stop even tho they are getting torched. I'm not gonna overreact more than I already have, just want some answers for tonight and want to believe prohm can actually coach, not just recruit and manage personalities

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Does prohm shoot the free throws? Does he shoot the wide open 3s? Does he drive into the lane (repeatedly) and dribble it off his foot?
I'm guessing you must not have seen the game because lack of effort until the last 5 or 6 minutes was the big problem. We gave up 92 points. TCU had multiple 4 on 1 fast breaks while our other 4 guys jogged back half heartedly.
Ya it would have been nice to have shot better but we scored enough points to win unfortunately we gave up way too many.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Start of the year all I wanted was to get back to the dance. The team has grown and improved all year to the point of being in the title chase. Then when this fairly young team hits a bump, we tend to overreact. Let's remember only one starter played any Big 12 games last year....it's a long season with more fun to come. Go State!

I would agree with that expectation to start the season, but since then this team has shown it has a much higher ceiling and there is nothing wrong with adjusting expectations. 24 hours ago the computers had us over 60% odds to win the league and we were double digit favorites at home against a team that has been getting destroyed on the road.

The thing that adds to the frustration to me is that I think our window to win this thing closes quite a bit after this year. We lose a lot this year, and this KU dumpster fire isn't a gift that we are going to get again next year. Just a major wasted opportunity if we don't get it done.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Remind me again how many regular season championships did Fred win, with his stellar home record?

If they go 7-2 at home and 6-3 on the road I think that points to a more consistent team overall. Vs a 8-1 and 3-6 kind of team..

Last time you ranted about a home loss, they went on a nice run, I hope it has the same effect.

Couldn't agree more....

1981-82 Iowa State Big 8 10 17 .370
1982-83 Iowa State Big 8 13 15 .464
1983-84 Iowa State Big 8 16 13 .552
1984-85 Iowa State Big 8 21 13 .618 NCAA Tournament
1985-86 Iowa State Big 8 22 11 .667 NCAA Tournament
1986-87 Iowa State Big 8 13 15 .464
1987-88 Iowa State Big 8 20 12 .625 NCAA Tournament
1988-89 Iowa State Big 8 17 12 .586 NCAA Tournament
1989-90 Iowa State Big 8 10 18 .357
1990-91 Iowa State Big 8 12 19 .387
1991-92 Iowa State Big 8 21 13 .618 NCAA Tournament
1992-93 Iowa State Big 8 20 11 .645 NCAA Tournament
1993-94 Iowa State Big 8 14 13 .519

This guy has a statue... Iowa State career winning percentage of .552....

We have such a sliding scale on what is good or not it's funny. And yes... I am old enough to appreciate how bad we were prior to his arrival.

What some of you younger fans miss is that we are good. Prohm isn't perfect... but neither were Johnny or Fred. Ya'll need to get over it.

It is what it is.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Does prohm shoot the free throws? Does he shoot the wide open 3s? Does he drive into the lane (repeatedly) and dribble it off his foot?

No, but he can certainly call a timeout to stop an opposing team's run. He sure likes to call timeouts to stop our own.

He can maybe switch the defense up or try to pressure them maybe a little bit sooner than when you're down by 18 with 5 minutes to go at home to an average TCU team.

Hell I wouldn't care if he showed a little bit of fire and got T'd up. JUST DO SOMETHING.

Hoping that you can shoot your way to a victory in March in every game won't get you very far.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015

I would agree with that expectation to start the season, but since then this team has shown it has a much higher ceiling and there is nothing wrong with adjusting expectations. 24 hours ago the computers had us over 60% odds to win the league and we were double digit favorites at home against a team that has been getting destroyed on the road.

The thing that adds to the frustration to me is that I think our window to win this thing closes quite a bit after this year. We lose a lot this year, and this KU dumpster fire isn't a gift that we are going to get again next year. Just a major wasted opportunity if we don't get it done.

You make valid points. It could also be we just played a very poor game, and TCU played one of their best. It happens. Keeping a team focused and on point for every game has to be impossible....especially when dealing with freshman not used to the grind of conference play. Time will tell...lots of ball left to be played. Personally, I'm enjoying the year and watching this team grow.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just skimmed this thread. I do agree that we've had some head-scratching losses at Hilton under Prohm, which is a little perplexing with how good some of his teams have been. Especially considering he's been able to pull off the usual upsets (OU and KU in 16, Baylor in 17, TT, WV and OU last year, KU this year)

There does seem to have been a trade-off, as his teams have also won road games that many of our past teams would not have won. Can we agree that Fred would have beaten TCU and KSU at home, but probably would have lost the game at TT?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Just skimmed this thread. I do agree that we've had some head-scratching losses at Hilton under Prohm, which is a little perplexing with how good some of his teams have been. Especially considering he's been able to pull off the usual upsets (OU and KU in 16, Baylor in 17, TT, WV and OU last year, KU this year)

There does seem to have been a trade-off, as his teams have also won road games that many of our past teams would not have won. Can we agree that Fred would have beaten TCU and KSU at home, but probably would have lost the game at TT?
I don't think we'd have won @OSU. Fred's team couldn't win shooting poorly on the road because they couldn't get stops consistently.

Kansas game would've been a lot closer because those teams weren't forcing 24 turnovers.

I don't know that we'd have won @OU just because (and this could be revisionist history) we couldn't close games that were close down the stretch. Our game plan was give it to Niang and if he outscored the opposition on his own we'd win but if he missed one or two shots we likely weren't getting defensive stops on the road.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Hoiberg was 32-4 at Hilton during the 4 year stretch in Big 12 play. Prohm is now 22-11 in 3.5 years in the conference.

Even if you added Fred's first year where he inherited a complete dumpster fire he still only has 9 conference losses in 5 years compared to Prohm's 11 losses in only 3.5 years.

Not good!!!!

Now do road wins and losses?

Then do wins against ranked teams?

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Home conference losses by year:
2010-2011: Throw away year
2011-2012: Missouri (8-1 home, 4-5 road)
2012-2013: Kansas (8-1 home, 3-6 road)
2013-2014: Kansas (8-1 home, 3-6 road)
2014-2015: Baylor (8-1 home, 4-5 road)
2015-2016: Baylor, WVU (7-2 home, 3-6 road)
2016-2017: Kansas (8-1 home, 4-5 road)
2017-2018: Throw away year
2018-2019: KSU, TCU (4-2 home, 3-2 road)

Still very possible to win out at home and the only game I would say is a likely loss is @KSU. I would no question take 12-6 or 11-7.

If you told me Iowa State would start 2 freshman who play a bunch of minutes and Wigginton would struggle and we'd have double digit conference wins there isn't a person here who wouldn't have made that deal.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No, but he can certainly call a timeout to stop an opposing team's run. He sure likes to call timeouts to stop our own.

He can maybe switch the defense up or try to pressure them maybe a little bit sooner than when you're down by 18 with 5 minutes to go at home to an average TCU team.

Hell I wouldn't care if he showed a little bit of fire and got T'd up. JUST DO SOMETHING.

Hoping that you can shoot your way to a victory in March in every game won't get you very far.
Coach Prohm actually cares about defense and for the most part coaches it well. The year that McGee, Clyburn, Lucious, and Babb were Seniors under Fred was one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen. Think if we didn’t have Babb that year, who was our only saving grace on D.