Home court

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
It will probably only end when CSP wins a regular season title or gets us to the Elite 8 or in alternative if someday Iowa State moves in a different direction.
A few posters on here hate Fred for leaving Iowa State. A few posters refuse to give CSP credit for anything. A much larger majority recognize that CSP has some strengths but still has a ways to go on in-game adjustments. But the biggest reason why the debate will continue is because a few posters just like insulting the other side regardless of the strength of the argument.

So once Prohm does something that Fred was unable to do himself? That seems fair.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It will probably only end when CSP wins a regular season title or gets us to the Elite 8 or in alternative if someday Iowa State moves in a different direction.
A few posters on here hate Fred for leaving Iowa State. A few posters refuse to give CSP credit for anything. A much larger majority recognize that CSP has some strengths but still has a ways to go on in-game adjustments. But the biggest reason why the debate will continue is because a few posters just like insulting the other side regardless of the strength of the argument.

So is that why you spent all your time ripping him two years ago without allowing for any context, and then disappeared while they won 11 of 14, and came back in force after Purdue and last year when we had to rebuild? What about this year, around when we lost, and nowhere to be found after Kansas at home, or the recent 4 game win streak?

And why would you hold him to a higher standard than Fred ever achieved? A standard that has been reached exactly two other times in the history of this place.

You and your crew try to project insecurity at people that want the team to succeed, yet nothing is more insecure and childish than only being here to complain, and disappearing when we are successful because you are against the coach.

Never claim to be innocent when you are the instigator of ******** cause you don’t like the coach.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Consistency seems to be our biggest issue. Before today's game I thought we had that figured out, but apparently not. Oh well
We have not consistently hit open 3 point shots the last 3-4 games. Yesterday that effected our defense. Which it shouldn't...but it did.

• Agree
Reactions: titleist

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
If you told me Iowa State would start 2 freshman who play a bunch of minutes and Wigginton would struggle and we'd have double digit conference wins there isn't a person here who wouldn't have made that deal.
And not have Solomon Young either.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
It’s almost like you willfully don’t understand so you can forward an agenda
What is apparent to me is you know little to nothing about basketball so instead of responding with reasonable points of view you resort to insults and not only to me but others as well. If you would have watched SY trying to defend the pick and roll the last 2 years you might have noticed he doesn't do it very well. At some point it might have been from a leg injury but since he has never been able to I assumed based on your comment you must be implying he has had the leg injury the whole time he has been at ISU.
I am curious, do you even actually go to the games and see what is going on or do you just watch on tv and assume your are seeing everything that is happening? Or based on your user name are you high during the games and generally clueless?

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Going into the season, I thought we could finish around fourth in the league. When the injuries and suspensions happened I figured us for the middle of the pack. As things ended up going better, I too got excited about the potential for a conference championship. That may be gone, but finishing in the top four in the league is still in play. I will be disappointed if we don't stay in the top four and end up playing the first day of the conference tournament.

As for Coach Prohm, I see him much like Matt Painter at Purdue, He took some lumps his first five years after he replaced Gene Keady (sp). However, most would agree that Painter is a solid coach now.

Finally, my last point is actually a question. Should we put on a press at TCU following the first media time-out. The Frogs did not react well to our press, and I think that we might disrupt and shake them up a bit at home if they don't react better than they did yesterday.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So is that why you spent all your time ripping him two years ago without allowing for any context, and then disappeared while they won 11 of 14, and came back in force after Purdue and last year when we had to rebuild? What about this year, around when we lost, and nowhere to be found after Kansas at home, or the recent 4 game win streak?

And why would you hold him to a higher standard than Fred ever achieved? A standard that has been reached exactly two other times in the history of this place.

You and your crew try to project insecurity at people that want the team to succeed, yet nothing is more insecure and childish than only being here to complain, and disappearing when we are successful because you are against the coach.

Never claim to be innocent when you are the instigator of ******** cause you don’t like the coach.

Show me the post after the Purdue game because you are full of ****. That year was his best coaching job and I had nothing negative to say after the Purdue.

You act like you are a basketball savant but never want to talk X’s And O’s. When a person disagrees you call them names and belittle them instead of addressing their questions or comments. You add nothing to the conversation and I have yet to see anything you bring to the basketball conversation other than a “yes” man.

But name calling as a 49 year old must mean you have really succeeded in life.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What is apparent to me is you know little to nothing about basketball so instead of responding with reasonable points of view you resort to insults and not only to me but others as well. If you would have watched SY trying to defend the pick and roll the last 2 years you might have noticed he doesn't do it very well. At some point it might have been from a leg injury but since he has never been able to I assumed based on your comment you must be implying he has had the leg injury the whole time he has been at ISU.
I am curious, do you even actually go to the games and see what is going on or do you just watch on tv and assume your are seeing everything that is happening? Or based on your user name are you high during the games and generally clueless?

I guess if there is an expert on being clueless, you’re certainly one. Maybe I should defer to your expertise and experience of the life you lead and take it under consideration.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
I guess if there is an expert on being clueless, you’re certainly one. Maybe I should defer to your expertise and experience of the life you lead and take it under consideration.
You probably should as it would benefit you and many others that have to deal with you.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Show me the post after the Purdue game because you are full of ****. That year was his best coaching job and I had nothing negative to say after the Purdue.

You act like you are a basketball savant but never want to talk X’s And O’s. When a person disagrees you call them names and belittle them instead of addressing their questions or comments. You add nothing to the conversation and I have yet to see anything you bring to the basketball conversation other than a “yes” man.

But name calling as a 49 year old must mean you have really succeeded in life.

Thanks I have. The reason no one can have a reasonable discussion about actual x’s and o’s Is because of the folks with the agendas.

You said it yourself, you’re holding this guy to a higher standard than any other coach in the history of this place, other than Larry for two of his five years.

Sounds like you’re all in for a reasonable discussion of x’s and o’s

But I’ll ask a simple question. If a coach runs actions that consistently gets good looks, and the players miss wide open shots, is that on the coach?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks I have. The reason no one can have a reasonable discussion about actual x’s and o’s Is because of the folks with the agendas.

You said it yourself, you’re holding this guy to a higher standard than any other coach in the history of this place, other than Larry for two of his five years.

But I’ll ask a simple question. If a coach runs actions that consistently gets good looks, and the players miss wide open shots, is that on the coach?

No you haven’t because it doesn’t exist. And you are misrepresenting my comments to promote your agenda. I said the comparisons with Hoiberg will stop when he wins a conference championship or he goes to the Elite 8. Full acknowledging that he would have surpassed anything CFH did.

But let’s talk X’s and O’s. If you are designing your actions for a 21 footer until it is a special that isn’t the proper design and you can get that shot at any point in the shot clock.

Why did we struggle for 1.5 years to get good looks consistently at end of the games. Where were the wide open looks against Baylor or Kansas State down the stretch? On the players all the time?

You talk about Solomon Young’s pick and roll defense but clearly SY struggled with the hedge and recover for the last 1.5 years. You apparently don’t see that or don’t understand the concept of hedge, show and recover in the pick and roll.

CSP is a solid head coach who wants to be at Iowa State. If he can consistently get to the tournament 4 out of every 5 years then he has at least keep the bar at the previous level. Which is success.

Last edited:

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Hilton doesn't feel as impossible to win in anymore. With Fred tossing out the first year we only lost to UNI, Kansas, and Baylor there. With Prohm, throwing out last year, we've lost to WVU, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and TCU. We're winning road games more, so that evens things out a little, but god does it suck knowing anyone can walk into Hilton and win now

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
No you haven’t because it doesn’t exist. And you are misrepresenting my comments to promote your agenda. I said the comparisons with Hoiberg will stop when he wins a conference championship or he goes to the Elite 8. Full acknowledging that he would have surpassed anything CFH did.

But let’s talk X’s and O’s. If you are designing your actions for a 21 footer until it is a special that isn’t the proper design and you can get that shot at any point in the shot clock.

Why did we struggle for 1.5 years to get good looks consistently at end of the games. Where were the wide open looks against Baylor or Kansas State down the stretch? On the players all the time?

You talk about Solomon Young’s pick and roll defense but clearly SY struggled with the hedge and recover for the last 1.5 years. You apparently don’t see that or don’t understand the concept of hedge, show and recover in the pick and roll.

CSP is a solid head coach who wants to be at Iowa State. If he can consistently get to the tournament 4 out of every 5 years then he has at least keep the bar at the previous level. Which is success.

My agenda is to support the coach.

Solo was solid his first season when he had good perimeter defenders playing with him. Last year sucked because DJack and Wigginton were bad on the ball defenders, and NWB was hurt much of the year. Remember he got shut down early last year because of his knee. And of course that team was ridiculously undermanned. Prohm missed on some transfers that could have helped, but all of the non recruiting from the last 2 years of Fred caught up the first 3 years he was hers

This year, he tried to play after surgery, and couldn’t go. So that three game sample is not one I’m going to use against him.

• Optimistic
Reactions: rochclone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
My agenda is to support the coach.

My agenda is to support the ISU MBB program and I have done in person for 35 years and financially for the last 18 years. If CSP can grow the program then prefect. My expectation to have him keeps ISU as the Top 25 program that he inherited. I don’t support a coach I support the program. Most of those times things align but not always.

Last edited:

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
But there is the problem we do have another way of scoring that would allow us to really take off on offense and use our one true mismatch, THT in the midrange/post ups. What also crushes me is if other teams play zone against us we still only send our one post to crash the glass when that is a weakness of the zone is offensive rebounding.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
No you haven’t because it doesn’t exist. And you are misrepresenting my comments to promote your agenda. I said the comparisons with Hoiberg will stop when he wins a conference championship or he goes to the Elite 8.

IMO roch there should be no comparisons.....because Fred wasn't fired. He left of his own volition. This isn't a Morgan/Mcdermott deal where Greg never reached what Wayne did. Thus making the firing questionable to some. If anyone should be questioned it should be JP. But why? This time last year we were the worst team in the conference...and it wasn't even close. Now.....we are just a game and a half behind KSU for first. And whose to blame for that? Certainly not Fred. I know...we have lost two home games......but there are 7 left, and anything is possible. No one thought TCU would come and do what they did. Whose to say we can't do the same at KSU or anywhere the rest of the year? Because Prohm.........we are ISU? That is a loser's mentality. One I wish wouldn't be so loud of CF but it is what it is. And those who want to spiral down that toilet of misery.......have a nice trip. Just prefer they stew in their own personal h*** than pollute what is otherwise becoming a very exciting season.

• Winner
Reactions: fsanford