Home court

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fred won 87.5% of his home games.
Steve has won 76.6, but last year really drags that down (84.1% otherwise)

So still doing very well.

I'm too lazy...where's it stack up vs. Johnny, Larry, Tim, etc.?

Fred's one or two losses at home/year rate (post first year) had to be close to the best aside from the 99-00 undefeated stretch.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So still doing very well.

I'm too lazy...where's it stack up vs. Johnny, Larry, Tim, etc.?

Fred's one or two losses at home/year rate (post first year) had to be close to the best aside from the 99-00 undefeated stretch.

I'd only looked back as far as morgan (i'd actually just looked this up the other day)

Mcdermott: 69.6%
Morgan: 80%

Though worth keeping in mind they had some advantages- they had a few more games at home that were gimme wins, that we've replaced with neutral site holiday tournaments.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd only looked back as far as morgan (i'd actually just looked this up the other day)

Mcdermott: 69.6%
Morgan: 80%

Though worth keeping in mind they had some advantages- they had a few more games at home that were gimme wins, that we've replaced with neutral site holiday tournaments.
B12 today also is so much stronger vs "old" B12.

• Dislike
Reactions: titleist

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If that's including Fred's first year, I think including last year for Steve is fair. 76.6% isn't that great for how good of a home court advantage Hilton is.

But that first year for fred, he also got to take advantage of those few extra home wins from not having the neutral tournament, and also the big 12 schedule was only 16 games back then- so one less home conference game, when we lost most of our home conference games that year

• Winner
Reactions: fsanford

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I don't get what the point is of constantly comparing Fred and Prohm.

But if you do it, you knock out Fred's entire first year, and you knock out last year's season, and then compare so it's apples to apples.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't get what the point is of constantly comparing Fred and Prohm.

But if you do it, you knock out Fred's entire first year, and you knock out last year's season, and then compare so it's apples to apples.

I'm usually in CSP's corner when someone comes on acting like not winning a Big 12 Title or losing an occasional basketball game is unheard of at ISU, but I will say that CSP has not only lost but gotten housed a few times in Hilton even with his good teams which actually seems weird.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Iowa State has the most talented team in the Big 12. Iowa State also has the deepest bench in the conference should CSP choose to use it. When the Clones give great effort physically and mentally, offensively and defensively, they are almost unbeatable.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
If that's including Fred's first year, I think including last year for Steve is fair. 76.6% isn't that great for how good of a home court advantage Hilton is.

They mentioned on the broadcast today that ISU is at 75% all time in Hilton. So if that stat was accurate, Prohm has basically been average at home relative to our history.

Reactions: CyBobby

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Back on the topic of this thread. Since 2011-2012 how many home losses does Prohm have compared to the previous coach?

Hoiberg was 32-4 at Hilton during the 4 year stretch in Big 12 play. Prohm is now 22-11 in 3.5 years in the conference.

Even if you added Fred's first year where he inherited a complete dumpster fire he still only has 9 conference losses in 5 years compared to Prohm's 11 losses in only 3.5 years.

Not good!!!!

So if the trend continues 9 vs 13 losses over 5 years

Wonder how road records compare.
Probably similar

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
So right now a 2 loss dir

So if the trend continues 9 vs 13 losses over 5 years

Wonder how road records compare.
Probably similar
It seems like Prohm's teams have performed better on the road, but I have no idea if the stats back that.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Love Phrom but he was way out coached today. How do you not make any changes and let them make 50 open layups (slightly exaggerated). Surprised we didn't at least try a zone.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
I'm usually in CSP's corner when someone comes on acting like not winning a Big 12 Title or losing an occasional basketball game is unheard of at ISU, but I will say that CSP has not only lost but gotten housed a few times in Hilton even with his good teams which actually seems weird.

What coach beat Kansas by 17 at home? Anyone bashing our coach is an absolute moron. We played a horrible game...it happens. Get k state.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What coach beat Kansas by 17 at home? Anyone bashing our coach is an absolute moron. We played a horrible game...it happens. Get k state.

He's literally had some of the best wins in school history (beating a #1, etc.) and I'm pretty sure is up there for most wins vs. top ten and definitely vs. top ten on the road, which makes some of the home losses a bit baffling. I'd hope for or expect a good game out of ISU next week. Win that one and it's back on track.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
We couldn’t buy a basket and our guys battled to the end. There is something to be said for that. Hopefully it pays off in March.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Iowa State has the most talented team in the Big 12. Iowa State also has the deepest bench in the conference should CSP choose to use it. When the Clones give great effort physically and mentally, offensively and defensively, they are almost unbeatable.
Consistency seems to be our biggest issue. Before today's game I thought we had that figured out, but apparently not. Oh well

• Agree
Reactions: titleist and bos