New build issues with local area builder.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
So we just moved into a new construction in the middle of December. Today, while at home with the kiddos, my wife notices some wet spots in the exterior wall/ceiling joints, one of which has started to freeze. The builder sent out a foreman to inspect and he says to my wife, that there is just nothing he can do and that we just have too many people under one roof. He left a hygrometer at the house to measure the humility, which is currently reading in the mid 20 percent. We have not had any condensation on or windows as of yet, even with the extreme cold temps. I'm no contractor/builder, but the Engineer in me says that this is an area that has been poorly insulated and the cold wall is drawing moisture out of the air. There is NO reason that my walls should be getting cold enough to freeze water. Anyone else ever experience this problem? What was the root cause, fix? Was it a new build? Did your builder resolve the issue, or was it a fight?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If u are in the mid 20s for humidity, u shouldn't have condensation issues. I was literally at a home on Tuesday because they were having problems with doors closing. First thing we checked was their humidity. He said the heating and cooling company turned it up to the mid 40s-50. They had to turn it down because there was condensation on almost every window. So from my experience, it would aalmost have to be the fault of the builder.

Down

Oct 25, 2009
Enemy Territory
Possible ice dam? Is there a lot of snow/ice in the gutter or along the eave of the roof? If there is a lack of insulation in the attic, heat can escape and melt snow on the roof, which then gets trapped by the ice along the eaves/gutters and works its way inside. Might check whats above the areas of the interior spots.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Possible ice dam? Is there a lot of snow/ice in the gutter or along the eave of the roof? If there is a lack of insulation in the attic, heat can escape and melt snow on the roof, which then gets trapped by the ice along the eaves/gutters and works its way inside. Might check whats above the areas of the interior spots.

I haven't had a chance to inspect it myself, but she did find the same problem in two other rooms, one of which is in the interior of the house and nowhere near any of the gutters or eaves.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I have nothing to add, but sorry you have to deal with that. In a brand new house, you shouldn't have to deal with anything.

EDIT: If you can't get resolution within a week or two from the builder, a negative Google Review can really get their attention.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
sounds like they skimped on the extra ice damn protection felt. I am not sure of the name but it goes over the felt so when an ice damn melts it doesnt melt inside your house. That is my guess. Look at it and get some heat chord in the gutters in case it gets cold again

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
This is the issue with a builder that contracts out projects without inspecting or supervising the project. If I were you I'd sick the wife on the builder, contact the better business bureau and call the city. F'em. they need to stand by their work or forfeit all future building permits.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
How long have you been in the house. Warranty? Let the builder know you are going to hire an inspector, and bill him.

Reactions: khardbored

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IMHO, you need to have an independent inspection and figure this out before you get some real damage. The builder is full of **** and just trying to get you to go away.

I did all of the insulation and vapor barrier myself for my 1000 SF addition (basically a full house redo). City inspector noted my work was better than almost all of the "pro" work he saw. I know I did a good and thorough job but hearing that was still disappointing as hell with respect to the quality of local construction.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I’m not sure how the builder can just walk in and examine the issue from the interior and come to a decision.
Is easier when the decision was already made! Sounds like the builder is full of crap. Dealing with them frequently I can day that's not unusual.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Got home to get a quick look at things before heading out to the game..... three different spots all on outside walls. All of the frost was gone and most of the moisture was gone. It looks like it must be condensation. They are going to blow insulation on the new house going up across the street in the next couple of days.... hopefully they can blow some more for us. If that can't happen, i will see if i can get a thermal imager and see if i can't find an air leak somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm