Grading the Players Thus Far

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This is how I would grade the performances thus far.

A
Haliburton: great fit on a team of scorers. He can be a huge plus on any team. Look out as he gets his man muscles.

A-
Weiler-Babb: His finishes at the rim yesterday were 10/10. He plays above guys. I give him a minus because I think he should get to that level more.
Shayok: If can get a tinge better at his decision making he would be an A.

B+
THT: I expected big things and he delivered. Just needs to shoot better. He’s starting to feel his oats.

Jacobson: Turned himself into a good post scorer. Doesn’t have the game to be a plus against really big guys.

B
Lard: he’s getting assists and making 15 footers now. Look the **** out.

B-
Wigginton: Amazing athleticism. Struggling to fit in.

Last edited:

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
A. Haliburton and Shayok
A-. Jacobsen
B+. Horton Tucker and Weiler-Babb
C+. Lard
D-. Wigginton

Based solely on conference play only. Everyone, especially Lard and Wigginton, with much more room to grow and get better. When those two start getting into form, which is looking like it could be soon, look out Big 12.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Mostly agree with your assessment so far. I think by the end of the year Wiggy and Lard will climb up up to A- to B+ range while Jacobson may fall a little just because I expect Lard to take up more of his minutes as the year goes on.

The one area this team concerns me is rim protection. Jacobson just doesn't impact shots down in the lane like Lard/Conditt can. Yesterday at Ole Miss it was a problem when their guards were driving to the rim and getting multiple offensive rebounds. We're gonna need Lard to become the 5 getting most of the minutes if this team is going to max out. Foul trouble permitting of course.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don’t really feel comfortable grading our players but I will say that our starting lineup has all been great and I do feel Lard and Wigginton keep getting closer and closer to being back to form. I think Lard is possibly the most important piece on this team. When he stays out of foul trouble, he gives us a physicality and defensive presence nobody else can. I have to also say Conditt has been way ahead of where I thought he would be in his first year. I still think our ceiling could be the highest since the early 2000s, although 2013-14 was a great team as well.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Weiler Babb: A- His game fits well with a team of chuckers. Him and Haliburton are tailor made to run this type of team. He plays within himself, has improved his outside shot, and developed a deadly pull up midrange shot that can bail out a bad possession. He can get lazy on defense, but has been more consistent lately. He's also getting back to rebounding.

Haliburton: A- Completely blown away expectations. It's amazing how much he can affect the game without shooting. That said, his outside shooting added a much needed dimension when the rest of the team was struggling. Steals, blocks, great passing. Now he needs to find some finishes at the rim and/or floater. He has struggled on defense at times. Too much gambling.

Shayok: B+ He's been exactly what I hoped. I love bucket getters. He scores 20, and it doesn't feel like anything special. He's a good offensive rebounder and a decent defender. The turnovers are frustrating and keeps him from an A- or A.

THT: B- We're starting to see his game emerge. When he gets space, he's tough to stop going to the hoop. He's starting to shoot better, but his three-point accuracy has been a little disappointing. I was expecting something closer to 37% than 30%. He does a lot of little things. Good passer and fights on the boards. Shot selection has been borderline awful. Even yesterday, he gifted them several three pointers because he forgot he wasn't playing a Chicago high school game. He's not a great defender but causes problems with his length. If he wants, he can be an elite defender.

Jacobson: B He's improved from his time at Nebraska, but coming back to earth after a great nonconference. He's a power forward playing center and doing a decent job. He fights inside and has done a good job of contesting without fouling. He has a valuable role on a team that doesn't love mixing it up inside.

Wigginton: C It's hard to fault a guy for getting injured, but it's safe to say his season thus far has been disappointing. The good news is he's starting to play better, and there's still two months of season left. He's made a noticeable adjustment to his outside shot, and it looks to be working. He's still a little sloppy with the ball and his midrange game has mostly disappeared (might not be a bad thing). His defense has been underwhelming considering his physical ability. Looking forward to his February.

Lard: C- Obviously getting suspended for 7 games wasn't a good start. As we saw yesterday, he has a lot of ability. That pass to Wigginton after a quick move to the baseline was awesome. He's a great weakside rim protector. If I were coaching against him, I'd be sure to throw it into his man a lot because he is not a good one-on-one defender. Leaves the floor on pump fakes way too easily, shows little discipline, and doesn't try to deter drives. But when he's able to play free safety, he changes the game for ISU.

OK, I'm tired.

Lewis: C
Conditt: B+
Griffin: C+
Talley: D-
Young: Pass

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is how I would grade the’ performances thus far.

A
Haliburton: great fit on a team of scorers. He can be a huge plus on any team. Look out as he gets his man muscles.

A-
Weiler-Babb: His finishes at the rim yesterday were 10/10. He plays above guys. I give him a minus because I think he should get to that level more.

B+
THT: I expected big things and he delivered. Just needs to shoot better. He’s starting to feel his oats.

Jacobson: Turned himself into a good post scorer. Doesn’t have the game to be a plus against really big guys.

B

B-
Pretty much agree but based on expectations I would give Jacobson an A-. Maybe I was in the minority but I thought MJ wa going to be a healthy Hans Brase kind of player. Glad I was wrong.

Reactions: Doc

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Pretty much agree but based on expectations I would give Jacobson an A-. Maybe I was in the minority but I thought MJ wa going to be a healthy Hans Brase kind of player. Glad I was wrong.

Makes you realize how limited our roster was last season...

It was painful watching Brase and Beverly at the end of last season. Not their fault, but yikes.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This is how I would grade the’ performances thus far.

A

A-

B+

B

B-

So, is your grading against expectations for a player? Or in terms of who is most valuable to us? Because I'd argue that Shayok is more important to Haliburton but the latter has produced much more than I expected.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
How Shayok is anything other than an A is beyond me. Less than nine points a game to leading the Big 12 in scoring. He's always getting a "quiet" 20 and apparently his grades are pretty quiet too.

My grades were relative to expectations. I expected Shayok to be our leading scorer and be a 16-17 ppg guy. He's surpassed that but his turnovers are a problem. As one college professor told me, a "B" is a good grade.

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
My grades were relative to expectations. I expected Shayok to be our leading scorer and be a 16-17 ppg guy. He's surpassed that but his turnovers are a problem. As one college professor told me, a "B" is a good grade.

You expected Shayok to score more than Wigginton, who everyone thought was a future lottery pick at the time? Impressive. He's literally scoring more than you expected him to. That's A material. Quit being so hard on him.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and bosco

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You expected Shayok to score more than Wigginton, who everyone thought was a future lottery pick at the time? Impressive. He's literally scoring more than you expected him to. That's A material. Quit being so hard on him.

I love Shayok. Not hard on him at all. Giving out all A's is boring.

Yes, given the offense he played in at Virginia, his age, and what I saw in CCL, I expected him to be our best player. He's a better scorer at this point than Wigginton, and it wasn't that difficult to see that coming.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I love Shayok. Not hard on him at all. Giving out all A's is boring.

Yes, given the offense he played in at Virginia, his age, and what I saw in CCL, I expected him to be our best player. He's a better scorer at this point than Wigginton, and it wasn't that difficult to see that coming.
Shayok is definitely our best player. He has a shot to receive Big 12 player of the year. Anything lower than A for him is just silly.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
A for everyone. From 10th in the Big 12 a year ago to 15-5 and top 15 on KenPom, Net Rankings and ranked top 25. Basketball is a team game. We couldn’t be where we are if you eliminated any player from our rotation.

Reactions: isutrevman