Winter Weather 1/18-1/19

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Ive seen up to 18", so plan for that.

How do you plan for up to 18 inches of snow and wind blowing it around, with cold below zero? Good thing I am picking up the new keg of beer tomorrow after work.

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
As I was guessing based on what I'm seeing, the 10 p.m. local forecasts are really downplaying this storm and noting the trend is for less and less. Still going to snow, but they were talking in the 3-5 range. Cold and wind will still make it bad, but storm seems to be trending (currently...and that can always change) towards this smaller range rather than the crazy numbers internet models were sharing earlier in the week.

Reactions: Angie

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
As I was guessing based on what I'm seeing, the 10 p.m. local forecasts are really downplaying this storm and noting the trend is for less and less. Still going to snow, but they were talking in the 3-5 range. Cold and wind will still make it bad, but storm seems to be trending (currently...and that can always change) towards this smaller range rather than the crazy numbers internet models were sharing earlier in the week.

Se we are either going to get 15 inches or nothing based on that. This far out it is really a guess for them. Today is the first I have saw any amounts out of this, with some still holding out.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I’ve never seen a prediction from earl that wasn’t much higher than we get. I don’t know why anyone takes that seriously.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Liking the general setup for northern Missouri and southern Iowa to see the brunt of this system. However, there's a spoke of energy coming in out of the Dakotas at the same time which needs to be integrated into the whole scenario... That's inducing a bit of uncertainty on the northern edge of this system (Northern, NW Iowa, So. Minn., et al)

I see some signals to distinct bands of snow to produce decent marks but also see potential for the southern system to rob moisture so to speak.

The southern low has had fairly consistent marks for the last three days. Pretty high confidence of major snow impact either side of the MO/IA border.

It's that northern energy that leaves things more uncertain north of I80 as far as amounts. I'd still plan on snow in these areas up through about US 14, lacking the sharp cutoff gradient too... but just not as much as the southern part of the state too.

At this point, if you are model surfing, you should really be focused in on ensembles rather than one deterministic run. Right now they're still struggling on how to bring this northern wave into the equation.

GEFSMW_prec_ptypens_090.png

I'll take #19. Thanks!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Was planning to leave Sunday afternoon to stay over night in the Twin Cities and hit up Afton Alps on Monday....but with the frigid temps and snow, probably not worth that much driving.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Well there is your first problem...

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I’m seeing a lot of very early 2-4 for eastern Iowa. As of now they are thinking the north half of Missouri is the target at the moment.

Every time we've expected a light snow this year we've gotten 8" plus so I'm just counting on a good ole blizzard. Anything less will be good news.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Why can't they be trending the temps the other way? They always overestimate snow but temps are usually spot on. (sarcasm)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Neither KCCI or WHO have given many details for central IA.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
4-6" are likely across most of the state with higher amounts NW and near Missouri. Snow will end Saturday morning...likely around sunrise but I wouldn't count out some lingering flurries. The biggest issue will be the light fluffy snow blowing around.

Since the game is at 5PM take your time driving to and from and you should be fine.

Help Support Us

Become a patron