True Detective Season 3

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
First 2 episodes were on HBO tonight. Watched the 1st one thus far and thought it was pretty good. Like after a lot of 1st episodes hope the pace picks up a bit but at least there seems to be hope that it is going to be better than Season 2, which I know to many isn't saying much.

Last edited:

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Just watched the first episode and it seems to be loosely based on the West Memphis 3 case.

Hopefully they are just using that case as inspiration.

***spoiler alert below just in case***

I know those 3 ended up in prison and then were released quite a few years later. Would hate for them to follow that storyline since I already know it.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just watched the first episode and it seems to be loosely based on the West Memphis 3 case.

Hopefully they are just using that case as inspiration.

***spoiler alert below just in case***

I know those 3 ended up in prison and then were released quite a few years later. Would hate for them to follow that storyline since I already know it.

From what I've read it sounds like Season 3 is based more on the satanic panic around West Memphis more than the actual case itself.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I just picked up HBO and thought I'd try this show out last night... I thought the first two episodes were good.

Were season 1 and 2 not very good?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I just picked up HBO and thought I'd try this show out last night... I thought the first two episodes were good.

People loved season 1 and thought season 2 was a let down. Each season is a different story with all new characters and no overlapping stories

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
People loved season 1 and thought season 2 was a let down. Each season is a different story with all new characters and no overlapping stories

Yeah, I knew that and figured that's why I could jump in Season 3.

Maybe now with HBO Go, I can go back and check out 1 and 2.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Season 1 was one of the better shows they've done. Season 2 was not.
I know I'm in the minority, but I thought what everyone ripped Season 2 on was prevalent in season 1. People were just more encaptured by the story and Woody/MM's roles and characters that viewers were willing to look past it a bit. Then everyone was expecting the masterpiece season 2 and it just couldn't live up to the hype.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge

Season 1 is one of the my favorite things hbo has done. It is definitely worth your time. I saw most of season 2 and what I saw was really good it just didn't have the same pull as the 1st season.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just looks like a slog.

If I decide to jump in, I'll be caught up before the day is over.

Maybe it's just not for you then. The first season was fantastic, the second was good but not as good as season 1. I'll watch season 3 and hope for the best.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Mahershala made me believe his three different ages in the first 2 episodes. I wasn't sure how it was going to be seeing him at "3 ages" constantly, but each has their own little things that really make them believable for me. His "confusion and longing to remember" was very prevalent in his eyes throughout the episodes, and I enjoy the style of story they have started. The past is all in memory form and it shows how Wayne Hays is working through the story in his memory. I enjoyed the few times they were in the "past" and it snapped to reality, like with an elder Hays saying "I don't want to be here" talking about the "Trash Man"s home but in reality he was saying it in real time. You can tell he is working through some difficult memories, and as they come back you can see his aging mind work.

I'm very optimistic about this season after what we've seen. They story is set up to be suspenseful and a lot of little tid bits can lead us to a numerous suspects (a lot of the tid-bits are surely decoys). The hole in Will's room, the Trash Man and Wayne saying "well, you know what happened to him.", the dolls and halloween, the "Black Sabbath" comment, etc.

Should be fun to watch them untangle this knot.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
-Hays getting "screwed" by prosecution of the original trial
- Roland "saving" Tom Purcell's life in '85.
- Elder Hays having 90s Amelia talk him through what he needs to do in his "episode"
- What were the kids hiding? Why'd they lie?
- The scene in Wal-Mart has a big meaning behind it, imo. The way he responds to Becca is more anger than relief. (Is this type of relationship why he doesn't have a close relationship with Becca now, I think there is something more that happened other than just "the case made him worry more")
- Another creepy thriller with Dungeons & Dragons incorporated somehow. Thought an interesting point was made on this that D&D is regularly used because it "is a fear-mongering over role-playing game and it effects the psychologically susceptible."
- The creepy hand positioning of the communion photo is classic TD.

Thought episode 3 was a solid set up episode. The final scene with Roland and Purple Hays taking jabs but also meeting as old friends who haven't seen each other in years was great, can't wait to see how the 90s storyline plays out.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Enjoying it so far but hope the action picks up here soon. Based on the preview looks like it might starting next week.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
-Hays getting "screwed" by prosecution of the original trial
- Roland "saving" Tom Purcell's life in '85.
- Elder Hays having 90s Amelia talk him through what he needs to do in his "episode"
- What were the kids hiding? Why'd they lie?
- The scene in Wal-Mart has a big meaning behind it, imo. The way he responds to Becca is more anger than relief. (Is this type of relationship why he doesn't have a close relationship with Becca now, I think there is something more that happened other than just "the case made him worry more")
- Another creepy thriller with Dungeons & Dragons incorporated somehow. Thought an interesting point was made on this that D&D is regularly used because it "is a fear-mongering over role-playing game and it effects the psychologically susceptible."
- The creepy hand positioning of the communion photo is classic TD.

Thought episode 3 was a solid set up episode. The final scene with Roland and Purple Hays taking jabs but also meeting as old friends who haven't seen each other in years was great, can't wait to see how the 90s storyline plays out.

My impression on Hayes getting screwed is that he didn't agree with who they originally prosecuted. He saw all the evidence of the brown sedan and knew they should have dug into it further. He ruffled someones feathers and got taken off of Major Crimes. Seems like maybe Roland played ball and got promoted. Interested to see if Hayes holds a grudge against Roland for that.

Reactions: srjclone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Side note: I think it's hilarious that Roland looks 20 years older in 1983 than he does in the 90s. That 80s haircut is brutal.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Side note: I think it's hilarious that Roland looks 20 years older in 1983 than he does in the 90s. That 80s haircut is brutal.

When he first showed up it took me a second to figure out who he was.

I'm guessing they tag the trash man with the crime and Hayes knows that's wrong. Good show so far. Interested to see how everything plays out. These shows have been much more about the journey than the destination.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Season 1 is one if the greatest tv mini series that’s ever been made. Season 2 is also really good, however it was hyped up so much that it was a let down just because season 1 was so good. Season 3 appears to be on track to be almost as good as season 1.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp