*** Official #20 IOWA STATE VS Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I'll say the same thing for this game that I said for the Iowa game. If we settle for forced 3s against their zone and let them beat us up inside, then we will lose. I do like our chances better in this game, though. Our defense could be the difference.

ISU 75 - Baylor 68

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
IOWA STATE-BAYLOR SERIES NOTES
• Iowa State and Baylor are meeting for the 36th time, with ISU owning a 19-16 edge in the series...the team's split last season's series, with both teams winning on their home courts...Baylor holds a 13-2 edge in Waco, with the Cyclones looking to win at the Ferrell Center for the first time since the 2012-13 season...the Cyclones only other win in Waco came in 2000, giving Iowa State the Big 12 regular season title outright.

Let's go Cyclones! Break that zone and hit your threes!

^This is why the must win talk is overstated.

ISU struggles in Waco, while I do think this is a different team with a better defense to mitigate any poor shooting performances any win on the road is difficult in the league.
I expect a similar tight game to last Wednesday at Okie St. The team played well sans a coupe 3-4 minute stretches to allow the Cowboys to stay close but ISU comes through in the end. That game could have been a blowout if ISU could have converted a number of open looks, but we need to remember these new gyms/environments are first time experiences for a number of the players as such they likely won't shoot as well to start. I am hopeful the team can carry some momentum from the second half of KU to this game and have a comfortable win.
I do feel good about the chances tonight and think the team is still trending up. I do feel the Cyclones walk out BU with another W. (but won't freak out if they don't)

Go State!!! Beat the highlighted care bears!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'll say the same thing for this game that I said for the Iowa game. If we settle for forced 3s against their zone and let them beat us up inside, then we will lose. I do like our chances better in this game, though. Our defense could be the difference.

ISU 75 - Baylor 68

An underrated part of our defensive effort in this game, if we get it, is that it will allow us to take it up the court more quickly and try to score before the zone is set up. Can't do that when you're taking the ball out of the basket.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
^This is why the must win talk is overstated.

ISU struggles in Waco, while I do think this is a different team with a better defense to mitigate any poor shooting performances any win on the road is difficult in the league.
Not really overstated. Most of the must win talk has been in the context of having a level of success, competing for conference championship.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Scary game, there is a chance for a let down in Waco in front of their dozens of fans. Need extra effort in rebounding and excellent ball movement.

• Funny
Reactions: fsanford

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Win tonight, take care of Ole Miss to end the month and defend home court gives us a +2 heading to February.

Then, I think we only need 1 road win to finish the season and we unseat KBoo

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

ISU 75 - Baylor 68

Solo may get more time than he has if Baylor starts hurting us on the boards. I can see Wigg penetrating their zone with his quickness off the dribble and drawing fouls or kicking out for open 3's. Definitely expecting an emotional letdown after the KU high.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
From what I've seen, Baylor's zone is susceptible to drives and high post play. I think NWB and Wigginton will have really good games here with driving/kicking. And also Jacobson if his midrange jumper is on point. That's how you beat the zone.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Solo may get more time than he has if Baylor starts hurting us on the boards.
He and Jacobson will shoot Baylor out of their zone on kickouts from our guards.

Only somewhat kidding. Young may have his outside shot going like Prohm mentioned last preseason

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Beat Baylor
476c39cddd4e8fe66eaae1721ea31c5c

-like a drum!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
An underrated part of our defensive effort in this game, if we get it, is that it will allow us to take it up the court more quickly and try to score before the zone is set up. Can't do that when you're taking the ball out of the basket.

This is what is different about this team. You can always bring defensive effort, even if shooting is off. Even if they have a smothering zone (which they don't). If 80% of the defensive effort against KU shows up, the scoring will take care of itself.

I just don't sense this team will have a problem with defensive effort thanks to the competition for minutes.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
From what I've seen, Baylor's zone is susceptible to drives and high post play. I think NWB and Wigginton will have really good games here with driving/kicking. And also Jacobson if his midrange jumper is on point. That's how you beat the zone.

That's what I was thinking. Get Babb, Wigginton or even Jacobson at the top of the lane with the ball in their hands and be ready to kick out to a cutter or shooter.

Reactions: ComCY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We really need THT to get out of his funk and become a factor again.
Only if our defense falters. We can beat KU without Wigginton and Lard playing that much and THT not shooting well.

That’s the great thing about having a deep team that plays defense is that our margin for error is high. Guys can have funks on offense and our chances for winning remain high.

Status
Not open for further replies.