Alright WSU fan here

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Didn't we also play Alabama in Mobile, AL one year, or am I imagining that one?

Edit: Nevermind, that was in La (Independence Bowl)

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Not Mobile but Shreveport which is close enough.

Which is still "only" about 6 hours from their campus.

When we played in our "first" Liberty Bowl (the one to be non-remembered), we played Tulsa, which was also less than 6 hours from Memphis.

Bottom line, kinda excited to be the "close team" for once!!! (only the 2nd time in the "modern" era, I think).

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Yeah, David had a rough year with the injury and the suspension. He need to have a good showing in the bowl game to improve his draft standings. Heck he didn't even make all conference this year. Kid has something to prove, and he most likely will.

BUT he was just named 1st team All-American by the writers of Pro Football Focus

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Psiclone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Wazzu's D-Line is anchored by a former walk-on Taylor Comfort up the middle and Logan Tago and Nick Begg on the edges. All are undersized and frankly got abused in the snow vs UW in the snow in the Apple Cup. Their success is tied to the success of the line backing corps, which is the strength of the D. To make up for their size, the D compensates with their speed to the ball. UW exploited this with counters, misdirection and play action. We do not blitz a ton, but when we do it is strangely effective.

Yes. We were playing the Toejams in the first Pac game of the year when the Pac's VP and General Counsel apparently from the comfort of his recliner overruled a targeting call on the field by one of our guys on SUC's QB. This apparently made the refs very apprehensive to later call an obvious targeting by head-hunter Porter Gustin (who had just entered the game in the 2nd half after being intelligible in the first half for targeting) on Minshew (i.e. "why call targeting, it's just going to be reversed in the booth?" ). That play was on 3rd down when the Cougs were down 3 in the 4th qtr with about 2 mins left. A proper targeting call would have put the ball inside the 10 with 1st and goal. Instead, Cougs have to settle for FG attempt which was blocked and the rest is history.
Presume you meant "ineligible," but I prefer your explanation.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I am sure he wishes that in retrospect too. He went to an incompetently run ad where his program was woefully under funded.

He was a great interview, they told him to win without any money. He never had a chance
You forgot the NCAA sanctions Criner left him with. He didn't have a chance.

Edit: But he could have given Troy the ball a few more times....

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
When we played in our "first" Liberty Bowl (the one to be non-remembered), we played Tulsa, which was also less than 6 hours from Memphis.

Even if you ignore the travel distance, that also was vs. an opponent ISU had defeated that season already. I HATE bowl-game rematches of regular season games, regardless of who's involved. (Exceptions, of course, for playoff and obligated bowl pairings).

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
BUT he was just named 1st team All-American by the pro football writers...

I believe that was Pro Football Focus, an outfit that specializes in statistics and analysis of NCAA players draftability and NFL player value as potential free agents. They matter in terms of which players are the most NFL ready.

I always look at their All America team as a preview of their draft rankings by position.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Wazzu's D-Line is anchored by a former walk-on Taylor Comfort up the middle and Logan Tago and Nick Begg on the edges. All are undersized and frankly got abused in the snow vs UW in the snow in the Apple Cup. Their success is tied to the success of the line backing corps, which is the strength of the D. To make up for their size, the D compensates with their speed to the ball. UW exploited this with counters, misdirection and play action. We do not blitz a ton, but when we do it is strangely effective.

Yes. We were playing the Toejams in the first Pac game of the year when the Pac's VP and General Counsel apparently from the comfort of his recliner overruled a targeting call on the field by one of our guys on SUC's QB. This apparently made the refs very apprehensive to later call an obvious targeting by head-hunter Porter Gustin (who had just entered the game in the 2nd half after being intelligible in the first half for targeting) on Minshew (i.e. "why call targeting, it's just going to be reversed in the booth?" ). That play was on 3rd down when the Cougs were down 3 in the 4th qtr with about 2 mins left. A proper targeting call would have put the ball inside the 10 with 1st and goal. Instead, Cougs have to settle for FG attempt which was blocked and the rest is history.
I saw a video in which a coach (I believe it was Ferentz, but I can't find it now) told his new players the "nobody gets cheated". I thought it was a good way to look at life or athletics. Don't think you're getting enough playing time? Probably you're not working hard enough or you're not good enough. Your team lost? Probably you needed to make a few more plays. Everybody has What-ifs. ISU had some bad calls in the K-state when the flags were picked up. We probably would have won the game if not for that last bad call. BUT we also let them drive the field on us after we punted. We could have overcome that bad call by getting a defensive stop. AND, had we played to our capability the rest of the game, it wouldn't have been close enough for one call to make a difference. We need to own our losses as well as our wins. Cougars want to play on New Years? Win the conference and you'll be in the Rose Bowl.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
. ISU had some bad calls in the K-state when the flags were picked up. We probably would have won the game if not for that last corrupt call. BUT we also let them drive the field on us after we punted.

There was no way the refs were going to allow ISU to win that game.

• Agree
Reactions: amishclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Rutgers (before they went to the big10) playing against us in the Pinstripe Bowl, which was about 45 minutes from their home campus . . .

does that count?

Nah. The Big East was a BCS league and they already knew they were going to the B1G.

But it did suck being in their back yard.

Coug

Dec 4, 2018
What is Wazzu bitter about? Wazzu **** the bed and the Pac 12 sucks. Get ready to get pounded.

Another Coug here. The bitterness has nothing to do with ISU. Anyone who knows football (including Vegas) knows that it’s a great matchup.

The bitterness comes from dropping 5 spots from a loss in a rivalry game and being out of the NY6.

Last week a 4part expose came out showing that our conference VP interfered in the USC game and overruled the replay official. It also showed that the conference is enriching the executives and the schools are getting screwed out of money. We wanted a hard lobby to the CFP from our conference and got nothing. Every team in the PAC 12 lost $350,000 because of it.

It’s just a series of events. We lost to a rival in a blizzard, dropped out of the NY6, got no help from conference leadership who it turns out are paying themselves insanely and taking private jets while we are scraping up $$$ from donors.

All in all we are just pissed, but not at the Alamo bowl or ISU.

Other than that the two fan bases are like looking in a damn mirror. This will be the party to end all parties!