Lisa Bluder Retires

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sure. Just wondering if she got a head coach offer somewhere else and they had to push up the timeline.

I doubt it. She seemed very willing to stay at Iowa as an assistant.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Welp.

They just announced it's Jensen without a search.

Kind of takes the intrigue out.

All Iowa universities have to interview 3 people. That being said it was gonna be Jansen no matter what. Same with any contracting job.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Jensen seems like a safe hire but I would be concerned that she hasn't had a HC job. FTR I absolutely don't want the keys handed to Billy unless he drops down a level and cuts his teeth. This rarely works out.

This is a bit different than Billy getting to job. Bluder may have been head coach but from all aspects Jan has longevity and credentials. She's been post guru for all the successful players they have had come through.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
UI players get a new 30-day transfer window starting tomorrow.
i can never keep up with rules these days. Makes sense.

Would be really curious to know if they were straight with the transfers that just committed. I would think they would be, but who knows.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Ehhh...you never want to be the person that follows a legend.
I don't see Bluder as a legend. She is a good coach who ran a successful program, but to me "legend" status implies national championships and someone who is automatically in the running for the top recruits in the country. Bluder only won two B1G regular season championships.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I just saw the Jan Jenson announcement on Twitter. To me it is so weird that the Women's basketball has a title like a building? I believe it was written that it is the P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach Jan Jenson.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is a bit different than Billy getting to job. Bluder may have been head coach but from all aspects Jan has longevity and credentials. She's been post guru for all the successful players they have had come through.
This is what has me wondering if there's going to be a change up from Bluder's system of running with very little post presence, not having two bigs on the floor at the same time, etc. Will be interesting if JJ puts more emphasis on front court play.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Jensen was the best coach on the staff, including Bluder. Should be a good hire, but last time Iowa hired an assistant for the WBB program it was a disaster.

Hope history repeats itself. But in no way is Jansen and Angie Lee comparable other than the Iowa successor connection.

Lee was only a scout when promoted at Iowa. Jansen has a 30 plus year career as a lead assistant coach.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't see Bluder as a legend. She is a good coach who ran a successful program, but to me "legend" status implies national championships and someone who is automatically in the running for the top recruits in the country. Bluder only won two B1G regular season championships.

She's a legend for Iowa women's basketball.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I just saw the Jan Jenson announcement on Twitter. To me it is so weird that the Women's basketball has a title like a building? I believe it was written that it is the P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach Jan Jenson.

Lot of schools have people that sponsor the title of a coach if they have enough money.

Reactions: MJ29

Help Support Us

Become a patron