L J Needs Our Support!

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
He hurt us multiple times in each of the game. His "mistakes" have been pivotal game-defining moments. Until he gets his head together, he's doing far more damage in the game than on the sidelines.

Really Jeremy? Each game? "pivotal game defining?" c'mon. I was disgusted with the cheap shot on the QB in the end zone, but his other penalties WERE NOT cheap shots.

Give me one example of these "pivotal game defining moments?"

And the Moeaki hit was clean at best and inadvertent at worse.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Considering we've only played 4 games, he has had personal fouls that were certainly momentum gainers for the opponents, I would call those pretty pivotal. The helmet incident obviously wasn't on purpose, but when put together with a very purposeful hit in the end zone last night, they don't add up to something to not address.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
He has my support. He will get things going in the right direction.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
its all relative, and most are taking it way to far. Us not having a 1st down until 14 min in was a lot more momentum for them than a late hit.
This loss is not pinned on his PFs, sure they had an impact, but that is facing adversity. The team that is able to do that wins.

Reactions: jmb

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
If an opponent did a cheap shot like that against us, our fans would hate that player for the rest of time.

This is absolutely true. And if it was from a team we play each year, it would be brought up before that game in the future.

With all of the personal fouls by the whole team and the endzone cheap shot, we will be viewed as either a dirty team or one filled with players unable to keep their composures. Opponents will attempt to exploit this by baiting our players into making 15 yard penalties all the time. I noticed UNLV was doing this last night after the ejection by jawing with our defense after plays and flopping to the ground, hoping to draw a flag.

These continued mistakes WILL hurt us in future games as well as the past games.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
Considering we've only played 4 games, he has had personal fouls that were certainly momentum gainers for the opponents, I would call those pretty pivotal. The helmet incident obviously wasn't on purpose, but when put together with a very purposeful hit in the end zone last night, they don't add up to something to not address.

Like I said - the end zone hit was inexcusable and stupid. It will be corrected. However, the rest is just exuberant youth. And I completely and whole heartedly disagree with the characterization you seem to be going after which is that one person's mistakes somehow have "pivotal" or monumental effects on a 60 min. football game. Unless that one person is a coach or a QB, I'm not buyin' it.

end zone hit => stupid and cheap => deserves punishment => after that I'm over it

The rest of his play has been outstanding and I absolutely love his play so far.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I saw with my own two eyes what happened during the game. And it's inexcusable. LJ got himself ejected from the game. I bet there are only a handful, if that many, Cyclones who have EVER been ejected from a game before.

I don't care how good he is on or off the field, if he can't learn to play football the right way, I don't want him on the field. I don't want him associated with ISU.

If he can learn to play the game properly and with emotion from whistle to whistle, I will be his biggest fan. If he can't reign it in, he needs to be shown the door.

Reactions: HILLCYD

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
The people who are advocating that he gets thrown off the team for this are overreacting big time. But those who are saying that it's just football and kids like to hit are underreacting big time. How in the hell do we expect to get to a championship level if we just shrug our shoulders with bush league plays like that?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
you dont show someone the door for a personal foul, im sorry.

I have never said that once.

I don't think many, if any, people are saying that. What they are saying is if he can't learn to play the game properly, he needs to go.

If he comes back and does the same thing against Baylor he did in this game, I think then you have to start considering it, though.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I saw with my own two eyes what happened during the game. And it's inexcusable. LJ got himself ejected from the game. I bet there are only a handful, if that many, Cyclones who have EVER been ejected from a game before.

I don't care how good he is on or off the field, if he can't learn to play football the right way, I don't want him on the field. I don't want him associated with ISU.

If he can learn to play the game properly and with emotion from whistle to whistle, I will be his biggest fan. If he can't reign it in, he needs to be shown the door.

You make it sound like he murdered someone, Noone will care about this hit in 2 weeks. Noone.

Reactions: ketelmeister

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
you dont show someone the door for a personal foul, im sorry.
Excellent!

This would have terrible implications on so many levels it is almost impossible to believe that I am reading some of the posts here. The saddest is equating him to PacMan Jones-:skeptical:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You make it sound like he murdered someone, Noone will care about this hit in 2 weeks. Noone.

I will. That's someone.

And I bet there are more than a few fans around here that will.

You have to remember we don't play for 2 weeks.

I honestly don't remember a more bush league hit by an ISU player since I've been watching ISU play. It makes me sick, to be quite honest.

I can live with the team stinking up the field. I can live with that first half. But I can't live with us being a dirty team. And worse yet, we are currently a bad dirty team.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Like I said, nothing but rehashing the previous thread and no one is budging here. The extremes (boot him vs. not a big deal) on both sides need to check themselves.

Period.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I will. That's someone.

And I bet there are more than a few fans around here that will.

You have to remember we don't play for 2 weeks.

I honestly don't remember a more bush league hit by an ISU player since I've been watching ISU play. It makes me sick, to be quite honest.

I can live with the team stinking up the field. I can live with that first half. But I can't live with us being a dirty team. And worse yet, we are currently a bad dirty team.
Jumbo
Serious question for you:
Did you not think something like this was possible? How much is a part of the growing up process(both program, staff, and athlete)? This is a series of athletic mistakes, from a young man that has been said to have strong charachter but it seems as though baby out with bath water here.

Wouldn't the coaching staff be failures if they didn't work with this student athlete? Wouldn't ISU be a failure if it couldn't be a place that helped him?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Jumbo
Did you not think something like this was possible? How much is a part of the growing up process? This is a series of athletic mistakes, from a young man that has been said to have strong charachter but it seems as though baby out with bath water here.

Wouldn't the coaching staff be failures if they didn't work with this student athlete? Wouldn't ISU be a failure if it couldn't be a place that helped him?

They aren't athletic mistakes. They are mental mistakes, firstly.

I'm not saying to toss him. I'm saying he's got to learn. And if he doesn't learn, then toss him. I've got no problem with the kid. I've got a big problem with the way he's currently playing.

The coaching staff fails if they continue to let this sort of stuff happen on the field. I honestly don't care what it takes to make that happen. All I care is that it does happen.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Jumbo
Did you not think something like this was possible? How much is a part of the growing up process(both program, staff, and athlete)? This is a series of athletic mistakes, from a young man that has been said to have strong charachter but it seems as though baby out with bath water here.

Where in his posts has he said he wants ISU and the staff not to try to work with LJ and correct this?

I did read him clearly state if it continues, he should be gone. And I agree with that 100%. If he's still doing this the next time he steps on the field, whenever that is - it's time to seriously consider moving on.

People need to quit painting the people that are upset about this as fans that want to abandon him on the side of the road somewhere. There is a very, very, very small minority that want to boot this kid. And I'm ******* tired of reading posts that behave like that is what I, or a large number of people here want to take place.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Where in his posts has he said he wants ISU and the staff not to try to work with LJ and correct this?

I did read him clearly state if it continues, he should be gone. And I agree with that 100%. If he's still doing this the next time he steps on the field, whenever that is - it's time to seriously consider moving on.

People need to quit painting the people that are upset about this as fans that want to abandon him on the side of the road somewhere. There is a very, very, very small minority that want to boot this kid. And I'm ******* tired of reading posts that behave like that is what I, or a large number of people here want to take place.
here is the problem-context is being lost here.

I think after our conversation privatley, and reading the thread with that in mind I read this a bit differently.

I think you are reading folks like 33 and I saying that this isn't a big deal. It is a big deal, but not like he raped a fellow student. It seems as though this is being charachterized as some type of felony. I was pissed at the mental **** ups, but I see mistakes and know that i have made many mistakes...especially when I was 18, 19, 20 etc. and as such I am a bit more willing to give the kid the chance to learn without me piling on.

I think we all agree on the following:
1-dumb, dumb mistakes.
2-he is a great athlete that we need on the field
3-to accomplish #2 we must have an athlete that is honorable and making smart plays, and choices.

One thing I haven't said here is that I have developed a bit of concern with LJ. If he is struggling to adjudicate his emotions on field what is going to happen when some drunk student wants to test LJ at a party?

Reactions: ketelmeister

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron