L J Needs Our Support!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
My 16 year old daughter was a terrific athlete, but put a girl on the floor during an AAU basketball game. It was over the top, but it happened. Nothing I could have said could have made her feel worse, she felt horrible. But it happened. Instead of grilling her, I let it pass and she never did it again. In this case, best thing for LJ is to let him play football. You don't want to ruin his career by dwelling on this. He knows what happened and is living it. Let it pass...

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Considering the brains he has shown on the field, I imagine his fate will be decided in the classroom rather than on the field.
nothing of much intelligence comes from you huh?? that just a stupid thing to post when you have no idea what the kid is like personally. you are making a very harsh assumption

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Considering the brains he has shown on the field, I imagine his fate will be decided in the classroom rather than on the field.

If you knew a dang thing about the players other than what you see on your TV you'd know he is a GREAT student.

Given the content of your post, I'd say you are the one who may need an education check.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
I disagree. I think that this is getting way blown out of proportion. You've got a kid that by all means has done everything right off the field just made a stupid play on the field. It happens in every sport. Personally I don't like the cheap shot but I'm not going to throw the kid under the bus either and banish him for the rest of eternity over it. It was stupid yes but we need to move on. I like agressive play and a little meaness, I think some of our teams in years passed really missed that quality. Again not saying I condone the hit because I don't but I also realize when playing aggressively that things can happen. Personally I welcome him with open arms when he's able to get back on the field and hope that he is able to harness the agressive recklaus abandon that he plays with. I think the person that said he saw a little Bob Sanders in him was right on and I for one am excited about that. The deadball penalties need to stop but I hope he stays agressive.

Interesting observation from somebody with a screen name of 'jberryma'. Just saying.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We all make mistakes. Im ready to move on. This will be handled by the coaches and if he doesnt learn then he can move on.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
My 16 year old daughter was a terrific athlete, but put a girl on the floor during an AAU basketball game. It was over the top, but it happened. Nothing I could have said could have made her feel worse, she felt horrible. But it happened. Instead of grilling her, I let it pass and she never did it again.

That was once. LJ has done this 4 times in 4 games, including twice on the same drive in the last game. That's a big diference. Would you have let it pass if your daughter had done it again and again and again?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Let's keep hashing this out in different ways today.....

not one of you is good enough to change any others mind.....

ugh.

-keep.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
The coaches will find a way for him use his aggression in a more positive manner. He is a freshman, he is talented, and he can hit like a SOB. When they get him going in the right direction, he will be a special player.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
Interesting observation from somebody with a screen name of 'jberryma'. Just saying.

i am absolutely not associated with jason in anyway what so ever if that's what you're implying.

Also if anyone watched the Bills game yesterday there was a hit on one of the running backs six yards in the end zone. It drew a personal foul, no ejection. These hits do happen. Not saying I condone it just that it does happen and that we're making it a much bigger deal that it needs to be at this point.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I didn't read through the whole other thread, but has anyone bothered to mention that there's been 2 times on TV this year where a cyclone has just punched someone after the play was clearly over? To me the talk of kicking LJ off the team isn't so much because of him making one cheap shot and that warranting him being thrown off the team as much as a lot of us as Cyclones are proud or ISU and what we stand for. And frankly the play so far this year when it comes to class on the field has appeared to me to be horrendous. I think it was the SDSU game where we got a PF for what looked like just punching the guy while he was down and then Sat. against UNLV on one of the 2 personal penalties on them the TV coverage showed one of our guys hitting one of theirs. Between those and things like leveling the punt returner after the fair catch call in the Iowa game we just haven't looked good from a class standpoint. I think the strong reactions to LJ are just him becoming the focal point in Cyclone fans dissapointment in the manner our team has carried themselves on the field this year.

At the bottom of the Northeast hill at Jack Trice where the players leave the field for halftime and after the game there is a brick pillar with a sign that reads "honor before victory", I think what people are reacting to is about us not looking like we have any class or honor when we play a football game, and they want to see drastic measures taken to stop that, LJ has become the unfortunate focal point

Please don't twist this into a pro Mac or anti Chiz comment either, I hugely believe Chiz can make ISU great and fully support him, but it has appeared to me this season that the coaches don't have a handle on the players emotions on the field, and it's making Iowa State look like a bunch of thugs. This is not an LJ issue, it's an Iowa State integrity issue.

I think LJ is probably a good kid as so many people have said, and is having a tough time adjusting to a non-QB position where you are in contact every down, but since he has 3 pf's and one that was a very bad looking penalty he's become a focus of all the frustration.

Just my 2 cents, it may not mean anything to anyone but that's how I'm viewing this situation.

I'm getting tired of people calling this ISU team "thugs". Are you freaking kidding me? Call U of I a thug team, call Penn State a thug team, but don't call this team a thug team because of what they do ON THE FIELD. Jerrod Homan was a huge thug, but everyone liked him (including me) because he played for us (he also had some off the court issues that didn't seem to get people too upset).

Our teams that "played with class" didn't win many games, except for one year. They also didn't keep their noses clean OFF THE FIELD (Jason Berryman).

And, people saying that they can "live with the poor play in the first half" but that PF really was over the top are talking like losers.

I'm tired of this crap. I'm tired of the personal fouls. But, I'm damn confident that this team can be a winner. I'd rather be trying to ratchet my players down than trying to figure out how to keep Nebraska (or any team with a winning record) from hanging 50 on us.

We are close this year, and we will be improving. With this team, I don't see a sure win OR a sure loss.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The coaches will find a way for him use his aggression in a more positive manner. He is a freshman, he is talented, and he can hit like a SOB. When they get him going in the right direction, he will be a special player.

I agree he is a special player. And that he has made a couple bad PF penalties. But definitely, we should not be having a "Sky is Falling" type of discussion and be calling for LJ's possible expulsion from the football team. He needs to be reigned in a bit. But for goodness sakes, can you imagine the impact that he has in a game when an opposing player knows that he can be leveled if he lays himself out to make that catch (I'm talking legal hits). Think of some of the best players out there in the NFL. Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, and others were known for their aggressive nature and sometimes PF's. The QB hit at UNLV was stupid. Shouldn't happen. He will learn. But the IOWA PF that was called was pure BS. Another PF that was called was ticky tacky. So he really has ONE really bad PF called against him. Maybe two.

I swear that the ones who are calling for his ouster, either have an agenda, or are the ignorant types who have never played competitive sports. LJ has to learn that he needs to be aware of where he is on the field. And that if a player is over the goal or out of bounds that you have to make an effort to not make contact. But how many times have we lost games where players let up before the whistle was blown and it has resulted in big plays for the opposing team?

We NEED the Dead Horse picture. Because some of you are being totally unreasonable and unrealistic. Let it go.

I remember years ago when Buddy Hardeman broke a run and an opposing coach came off the sideline and tackled him. I don't even think that guy was fired or even fined. Far worse IMO.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Extremes at each end are fueling this discussion. I think most do not want to see this continue, want to see corrections made and keep him playing.

However, in reviewing the thread, the most argumentative posts are those seem to be shouting down those that feel that this is out of control. Very few are calling for his ouster, most just want it stopped.

The bottom line is these as a whole need to stop. It could impact perception of ISU teams, opponents will try to exploit it, and refs will watch closely.

It has impacted the games this season, and should come to an end before it impacts future games.

See below, granted it is a homer press article, but look what impact it is already having:
UNLV-ISU Notebook: Early cheap shot fueled Rebels' fire - Las Vegas Sun

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I just watched the late hit for the first time. I was only able to listen to the game on radio but have read the comments before viewing. Some of the comments made me think that this was going to be one of the worst things I would ever see. I saw someone make a personal foul and a very bad decision and he deserve to get tossed. (being his 2nd PF) It was far from the worst thing I've ever seen on the football field.
All this does is remind me that this team and staff is VERY YOUNG and is still learning. Unfortunately they are learning on the job against more experienced players and may be getting a little outplayed because of the lack of experience. What to young players (kids) do when they are frustrated? They lash out. Right or wrong that is what they do. We are watching players and coaching grow up and learn right before our eyes and it is not always going to be pretty. I made some dumb dumb dumb mistakes as a freshman and I'm willing to give the staff and players some opportunity to learn and improve like people were with me. I'll make my decision on LJ after he sits out the game and see how the staff handles it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Extremes at each end are fueling this discussion. I think most do not want to see this continue, want to see corrections made and keep him playing.

However, in reviewing the thread, the most argumentative posts are those seem to be shouting down those that feel that this is out of control. Very few are calling for his ouster, most just want it stopped.

The bottom line is these as a whole need to stop. It could impact perception of ISU teams, opponents will try to exploit it, and refs will watch closely.

It has impacted the games this season, and should come to an end before it impacts future games.

See below, granted it is a homer press article, but look what impact it is already having:
UNLV-ISU Notebook: Early cheap shot fueled Rebels' fire - Las Vegas Sun

There a very vocal few that wouldn't mind LJ being tossed from the team. Yes, we want the PF's to stop. But at the same time there have been a few PF's called against us that should NEVER have been called. I don't think the PF cost us the game. I think it was our inept play in the first half.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
There a very vocal few that wouldn't mind LJ being tossed from the team. Yes, we want the PF's to stop. But at the same time there have been a few PF's called against us that should NEVER have been called. I don't think the PF cost us the game. I think it was our inept play in the first half.

Has ANYONE said that LJ needs to go?

Seriously?

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Can't we give him a break, I mean come on, we all make mistakes, it just matters what we do after we are given that second chance. Look at OJ, whoops, bad example. How about Berryman, nope, Pierre Pierce? Oh, that's right, the difference between LJ and these guys is his mistakes are on the field, not in the real world. It's a football game, lots of adrenaline, split second reactions, intensity. He made a couple of dumb penalties, he will probably make some more. Just relax people, It's not like he raped someone and the athletic department tried to cover it up.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Serious question...ISU is racking up personal fouls at a rather alarming rate, and LJ himself already has 4. At some point, if this continues, will the NCAA or Big 12 step in and levy some penalty against the team, or against specific players like LJ if they continue to pick up PFs? Is there a precedent for this?

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Considering we've only played 4 games, he has had personal fouls that were certainly momentum gainers for the opponents, I would call those pretty pivotal. The helmet incident obviously wasn't on purpose, but when put together with a very purposeful hit in the end zone last night, they don't add up to something to not address.

I don't agree with this.

Just what part of either PF had to do with the 38 yds of total offense we had in the first half? Notta.... We couldn't do anything less after the ejection than we did before his ejection.

These two LJ threads are emberassing to say the least....:no:

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Serious question...ISU is racking up personal fouls at a rather alarming rate, and LJ himself already has 4. At some point, if this continues, will the NCAA or Big 12 step in and levy some penalty against the team, or against specific players like LJ is they continue to pick up PFs? Is there a precedent for this?
If they didn't sanction Miami in the 80's & 90's, they won't do anything to Iowa State. That's why officials carry penalty flags.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Serious question...ISU is racking up personal fouls at a rather alarming rate, and LJ himself already has 4. At some point, if this continues, will the NCAA or Big 12 step in and levy some penalty against the team, or against specific players like LJ is they continue to pick up PFs? Is there a precedent for this?

The Big 12 can suspend players, and undoubtedly if he picks up any more he would be risking it.