L J Needs Our Support!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Lenard Johnson is the best player on defense for Iowa State, and in my view has a great shot to be a pro. He's a freshman, who played quarterback in high school, and has made a tremendous conversion to defense and returns. He is a super young guy, and quite frankly I'm ashamed at the comments that have been made on CF. No one on here knows what happened during the game, or what comments were made or other shots taken. But I know this kid is a gem. He needs our encouragement and support, not "cheap shots" from those not on the field. If we had a team full of LJ's we be competing for the Big 12 championship. His overexuberance will be handled, but hopefully this won't break his spirit.

Reactions: bos

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
LJ is the man. He has a ton of talent, but right now it's raw talent. Chizik can and needs to mold that talent into a All-Big 12 DB.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
He is a great player, but he is hurting his team with these incredibly boneheaded plays. He needs to learn to channel that during the play and not after it.

Reactions: joefrog

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Considering the brains he has shown on the field, I imagine his fate will be decided in the classroom rather than on the field.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
He has our support, but only if he learns from incredibly stupid mistakes. You have to look at it as somebody that has made several very dumb personal fold plays already this year and they are very dangerous plays. What he did in the end zone last night is simply inexcusable, regardless of how "good" somebody may be. Talent doesn't offset stupidity or carelessness. He made a play that was incredibly dangerous for the QB and that cannot and should not be forgiven.

However, he will have all the support in the world if he can show that he learns from his mistakes and doesn't make the same mistakes again. I will support him like every other player, just not any more just because he may be of great talent.

Reactions: CY ST8T

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA
agreed, he made some mistakes. but the kids young, and really talented. why not support him instead of suggesting he gets kicked off the team. really, that's not even close to a logical solution.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This will be nothing but a rehash of the other thread.

LJ is a great player that needs to get his head right - period. And I hope like hell he does...our defense needs him.

Next subject...

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
No one on here knows what happened during the game, or what comments were made or other shots taken.

Actually we all saw what happened during the game. Doesn't matter if trash talking prompted it or not.

Stupid is as stupid does, and don't worry his reckoning will come from the coaching staff not from a handful of dudes on Cyclone Fanatic.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I think this was a thread about supporting LJ....

Those of you who aren't here to support him..

BUHBYE!!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Enough with the “he’s young” crap. Pleezzzzzzz!

If that was a valid accuse, we should expect personal fouls in the same type of number from all 1st year players.

Give me an excuse I can use!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Actually we all saw what happened during the game. Doesn't matter if trash talking prompted it or not.

Stupid is as stupid does, and don't worry his reckoning will come from the coaching staff not from a handful of dudes on Cyclone Fanatic.

I agree, but kids read the boards too. Some want to persecute this kid, but I agree he needs support. Look at some of the garbage said on the previous thread. Let's say something positive about him. He's a top student, good kids and a talent. He just needs his exuberance throttled a bit.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If an opponent did a cheap shot like that against us, our fans would hate that player for the rest of time.

+1 on that.

I'm dying to know the flavor of the kool-aid going on around here. It's on sale at Hy Vee and I want to stock up.

FWIW - LJ is on a full ride scholarship, footed by fans like most all of us, so he's getting a hell of alot of support IMO. He needs to get his head out of his arse and play a alot smarter. And he's not the only one.

I can deal with the youth and the new program. What I don't like is this cheap play. Some members of this team need a "Coach Carter intervention".

Last edited:
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It will not be difficult to get better if he changes a few things such as avoiding dead ball personal fouls. He has hurt us by being kicked out at UNLV and for Kansas already. That should be enough reinforcement.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It will not be difficult to get better if he changes a few things such as avoiding dead ball personal fouls. He has hurt us by being kicked out at UNLV and for Kansas already. That should be enough reinforcement.

He hurt us multiple times in each of the game. His "mistakes" have been pivotal game-defining moments. Until he gets his head together, he's doing far more damage in the game than on the sidelines.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
If an opponent did a cheap shot like that against us, our fans would hate that player for the rest of time.

I disagree. I think that this is getting way blown out of proportion. You've got a kid that by all means has done everything right off the field just made a stupid play on the field. It happens in every sport. Personally I don't like the cheap shot but I'm not going to throw the kid under the bus either and banish him for the rest of eternity over it. It was stupid yes but we need to move on. I like agressive play and a little meaness, I think some of our teams in years passed really missed that quality. Again not saying I condone the hit because I don't but I also realize when playing aggressively that things can happen. Personally I welcome him with open arms when he's able to get back on the field and hope that he is able to harness the agressive recklaus abandon that he plays with. I think the person that said he saw a little Bob Sanders in him was right on and I for one am excited about that. The deadball penalties need to stop but I hope he stays agressive.