What is this and how do I kill it?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ever since the wind storm in Indianola a couple weeks back, this **** has been growing prolifically in my yard and my dad's yard (about 6 blocks away). Almost reminds me of corn (there is an elevator within blocks of each of us). At any rate, it grows way, way faster than my grass, and is appearing throughout the yard after initially just showing up in areas where the wind might have collected it (by my patio and deck).

IMG_0095.jpg

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You could try to choke it out by seeding your yard in the fall. The cooler weather, and extra rain is perfect growing conditions for grass.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yellow nutsedge. Just pull it and keep pulling it until it freezes. Any selective spraying attempt won’t be that effective.

Nice part is that it is easy to pull. I spent about an hour pulling up the worst of it around my patio, but a week later, I'm seeing scattered patches throughout the yard. The good news is that the patio area has stayed clear.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As others have said it is definitely yellow nutsedge. This stuff will kill it and not harm your lawn but it is so shallow rooted if you have the patience just hand pull them. If you have a lawn service that sprays their weed treatment will kill it too. It's an annoying weed that usually pops up with the ground is really wet which we had a lot of not long ago. My lawn has browned out now which have made the weeds stand out more so I have been spot spraying with this stuff too.

https://www.roundup.com/en-us/produ...=AL!4676!3!256662224364!b!!g!!+roundup +lawns

• Dislike
Reactions: Sparkplug

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
(Pulling up a lawn chair and six-pack) Waiting for the epic "burn it, burn it all" memes.

Then I learn it is a f__king weed. Don't you have a spider running around somewhere?

Freeze it! Kill it with freeze!

giphy.gif

Reactions: jcyclonee

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Sorry guys but lots of bad advice. Nutgrass, aka, nutsedge, has rhizamatous roots and nutlets that remain in the ground after pulling. The little nuts are edible so you could eat your way out of the problem. Pulling the mother plant encourages these nutlets to sprout and grow additional plants.

Your main options in cool season turf are sulfentrazone (dismiss) and halosufuron (sedge hammer). I prefer sulfentrazone as it comes pre-mixed from common companies like Ortho, unlike halosufuron which comes as a granular powder or tablet that you mix in your hand sprayer. Sulfentrazone is a quicker kill of the mother plant, but some people think it's less effective at killing the little nutlet roots underground.

Head to the hardware store and find something that says nutgrass or nutsedge right on the label. Some of the cocktail weed killers contain a boost of sulfentrazone at a lower rate and will list nutsedge control, but I prefer a stand alone product of sulfentrazone as it's mixed stronger. You'll likely need to spray it and then spray again in like 14 days. Some will still come back next year so it's usually a multi year process to eliminate nutsedge.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have it too. Seems like somehow as the grass is going dormant due to the lack of rain since the end of June, this stuff has been thriving.

Yeah, seen a good amount of it as well of it as well.

My lawn started dying when that lack of rain hit.... had to run a backflow test in mid-june, didnt realize the guy had turned off my irrigation system, then we got those 2 weeks of rain so i never noticed the irrigation system was off (plus it runs at 4-5 AM so i don't usually see it run). Spent some time travelling and came back to a rough looking lawn... weeds taking advantage of the weakened state.

• Creative
Reactions: ianoconnor

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I worked in lawn and tree care for a summer back in college. Nutsedge is pretty resistant to many types of herbicides. We use to use this stuff call sedgehammer iirc that worked pretty well.

Do not pull it! Pulling it just makes it worse because when you pull it the weed releases it’s seeds/roots so it spreads more.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I worked in lawn and tree care for a summer back in college. Nutsedge is pretty resistant to many types of herbicides. We use to use this stuff call sedgehammer iirc that worked pretty well.

Do not pull it! Pulling it just makes it worse because when you pull it the weed releases it’s seeds so it spreads more.

I hate this weed. So hit it up with something like 2-4D? I usually just spot spray or pull this stuff as it only pops up when we get a lot of rain.