2026 World Cup

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I think CONCACAF will get 6 teams in the finals including the 3 automatics?

That's my understanding too. We would have had 6 slots if it were in North America or Morocco. Since 3 are auto qualifying, CONCACAF will have a qualifying tournament for the other three.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
USA, Mexico and Canada will all automatically qualify.

It has not been decided yet. Typically CONCAF has three spots, that means they have 0 spot left for other CONCAF members? That seems silly. With expansion to 48 teams, I am sure they all qualify plus they will take 3 more teams from CONCAF.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...-cup-auto-bid-qualification-usa-canada-mexico

When Japan and Korea hosted 2002 WC, they both received auto-bids and two other AFC members received a bid.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I better be retired by then, I want to watch a lot of games! (I'll be 49 at the time)
There will be kids my oldest sons age that could technically play on USMNT. I'll be curious if any teammates or opponents of his will be playing.

Oh and pay to play model needs to change so that more kids from all parts of the country can have a chance.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So where's the final? Mexico City? Dallas? New York? Atlanta? Los Angeles?

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
So where's the final? Mexico City? Dallas? New York? Atlanta? Los Angeles?

USA will have all quarterfinal and later rounds. I think Dallas and Atlanta are favorites for the semis and New York is likely to get the final.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Canada is the only one who would be nervous going into qualifying when it's top 6 slots anyway. US and Mexico would easily get in.

I expect them to all auto qualify with them all playing a match on opening day in their home country.

Final will be at MetLife stadium in New Jersey. Already confirmed. So is Atlanta and Dallas Semi Finals

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Canada is the only one who would be nervous going into qualifying when it's top 6 slots anyway. US and Mexico would easily get in.

I expect them to all auto qualify with them all playing a match on opening day in their home country.

Final will be at MetLife stadium in New Jersey. Already confirmed. So is Atlanta and Dallas Semi Finals
Uhhhhh...should - should easily get in, but not a given.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

So I guess quarterfinals in Mexico City, Toronto, LA, and...? Seattle maybe? Chicago? Denver?

I would think that big new stadium they are building for the Rams and Chargers might have ranked a little higher, but the DAL, ATL, and NYC ones are nice.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
So I guess quarterfinals in Mexico City, Toronto, LA, and...? Seattle maybe? Chicago? Denver?

I would think that big new stadium they are building for the Rams and Chargers might have ranked a little higher, but the DAL, ATL, and NYC ones are nice.

No to the bolded. All knockout stage games will be staged in the US from my understanding.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

As mentioned above, no to any city outside of US for anything after the group stage and Chicago isn't even in the discussion as a host city.

Possibilities in the US are - LA, NY, DC, Dallas, KC, Denver, Houston, Baltimore, Atlanta, Philly, Nashville, Seattle, San Fran, Boston, Cincinnati, Miami and Orlando.

It is my understanding that any stadiums with artificial turf wont be considered unless it gets changed out before the WC.

Honestly, I don't get why these small countries with no infrastructure even can apply to have events like the WC or the Olympics. It doesn't bring in more money than they lose especially if they have to build new stadiums. I'm sorry but Morocco shouldn't have had an outside shot at winning this bid and Qatar has no business hosting the WC in 4 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
mens_underwear_brief_worldcup_flag_3_in_1_1484477779_2cac9409.jpg

World Cup?

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS

US didn't qualify for 2018, what makes you so sure? I don't think anything is guaranteed when it comes to the World Cup qualifying. Italy and Netherlands can attest that too.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The US would easily qualify because never in the history of the CONCACAF have we fallen below 6th place. We're adding 3 additional slots to our 3 we already had.

For reference these were our finishes in CONCACAF qualifying for the last several world cups:

2018 - 5th
2014 - 1st
2010 - 1st
2006 - 1st
2002 - 3rd
1998 - 2nd
1994 - AUTO
1990 - 2nd
1986 - Tied for 4th/5th
1982 - Couldn't figure out our place so this might actually have been a rough year.

Regardless top 6 is a joke in the CONCACAF

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
No to the bolded. All knockout stage games will be staged in the US from my understanding.

"The plan for the U.S. to host every game from the quarterfinals remains, however. The bid book proposal calls for Mexico and Canada to each host seven group-stage games, two matches in the round of 32, and one in the round of 16."

If you read through the full bid book, Mexico City and Edmonton would each get a round of 16.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

No games will be played at that stadium. It was taken off the list along with Vegas's new stadium.