Friday OT #2 - Chewing The Scenery

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
A few on my list, with samples scenes.

Jack Nicholson (George Hanson), “Easy Rider”

Robert Shaw (Quint), “Jaws”

Chris Copper (John Laroche), “Adaptation”

Shaw in Jaws, definitely winner there. I haven't actually watched the other two movies, so I'll have to reserve judgement. In Jaws, just those three guys, Shaw, Scheider, and Dreyfuss, loved them together.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
OMG, his rumbling voice as he waxes on about America being recreated every few decades with steam rollers, but baseball being the thread that ties every version together, how the years are defined... chills to my spine. So classic.

He had my favorite line in that movie, one that I use quite frequently:

"We got a learning disability here?"

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
th

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Polly Holliday as Flo on "Alice." Flo got most of the good one-liners ("Kiss my grits!!") in this show. But her own spin-off ("Flo") didn't do so well, only lasting a season and a half, I believe. As with a lot of sit-coms of that era (and this era), it suffered from poor writing/not being funny. "Alice" went on for many years without the wisecracking Flo, but in my opinion, never had the same kick as it did with Holliday in the cast.
I met Linda Lavin (Alice) and her then husband Kip Niven once. Lavin can curse up a blue streak that would make a sailor blush.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Rocket in GOTG.
Bullet-toothed Tony or Brad Pitt in Snatch (great movie)
Rick Moranis in Spaceballs
Alan Rickman in Dogma (pretty much any supporting character in any Kevin Smith movie)

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
When I read about the making of it, I thought it was fascinating how loose the script was and they just relied on the actors' improvisational skills.

From what I understand, the script for the scene where Chevy Chase hits the golf ball into Bill Murray's shack was basically "Chevy Chase hits a ball into Bill Murray's shack". They pretty much improvised that whole scene.

that was also the only scene they were in together in the movie.

Help Support Us

Become a patron