Friday OT #2 - Chewing The Scenery

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@harimad suggested this - thanks so much!

Who are secondary characters who stole the show? I'll let her use her suggestion, but one I can think of that's obvious is that Kurt Russell was supposed to be the star of Tombstone, but that was Val Kilmer's movie.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
For me, it was Kieran Culkin's role as Scott Pilgrim's roommate in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. For a movie with a lot of great one-liners, I think his were the best.

These are probably the most obvious ones, but also:
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Polly Holliday as Flo on "Alice." Flo got most of the good one-liners ("Kiss my grits!!") in this show. But her own spin-off ("Flo") didn't do so well, only lasting a season and a half, I believe. As with a lot of sit-coms of that era (and this era), it suffered from poor writing/not being funny. "Alice" went on for many years without the wisecracking Flo, but in my opinion, never had the same kick as it did with Holliday in the cast.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
For me, it was Kieran Culkin's role as Scott Pilgrim's roommate in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. For a movie with a lot of great one-liners, I think his were the best.

These are probably the most obvious ones, but also:
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder.

Mic-1436636346.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bill Murray was not part of "Caddy Shack" as originally written. He was a mid-production addition.

Pretty much read the script and improvised the character. That, and loads of blow and weed, fueled the movie.
When I read about the making of it, I thought it was fascinating how loose the script was and they just relied on the actors' improvisational skills.

From what I understand, the script for the scene where Chevy Chase hits the golf ball into Bill Murray's shack was basically "Chevy Chase hits a ball into Bill Murray's shack". They pretty much improvised that whole scene.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Bill Murray was not part of "Caddy Shack" as originally written. He was a mid-production addition.

Pretty much read the script and improvised the character. That, and loads of blow and weed, fueled the movie.
I listened to a podcast with someone heavily involved in the production of the movie. Bill Murray had no lines -- he adlibbed the the whole movie.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now.

Slim Pickens and George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove

Walter Brennan in a bunch of old westerns.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Help Support Us

Become a patron