POLL: Football Uniforms... Where Do You Stand?

What Category are You In?

• "Get off my lawn" (Stay with our school colors. Cardinal and Gold only)

• "Keep it simple" (Cardinal and Gold for most games. 1 other non-black alternate MAX)

• "Mix it up" (Cardinal and Gold is a good start point. But recruits run the show so mix it up!)

• "Let's get weird" (I want to see black, camo, metallic, chrome, matte, ALL OF IT)

• "Don't change" (Stick with what we have, I like these uniforms)

• "Just win baby" (for the love of God, WHO CARES ABOUT UNIFORMS)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Well I think the football helmets would look odd with the Orr Dribbling Cy.

Just my 2 cents

c4eebed4a82cab3c333f951cf2ccf9df--ames-iowa-iowa-state-cyclones.jpg

There ya go, @KnappShack

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My preference for ISU would be to mirror the OKSt model with the alts and jersey/pant striping.

I just hope like hell we don't do what the Minny Yellow Rodents are doing:

https://hyprrelite.com/

There simplistic jerseys/pants are awful.

Hmm... I'm afraid that may be the EXACT route we're going. The word "PROCESS" will be probably be plastered all over the helmet, ha ha!

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Helping how? I hate adding a lot of black to uniforms when it's not part of your color scheme. But since Campbell and the kids obviously have huge boners for black swag, I say let them indulge themselves every once in a while if they keep winning football games.

I meant you're not helping to ease the fears of the people who hate the idea of a black uniform.
Some of them probably just had minor strokes looking at your images.

I personally don't have any problem with it. I'd much rather they do black and red than black and JUST yellow though.

I truly don't think we'll ever wear just black and gold. That wouldn't go over well with anyone. Black with cardinal and gold included has nothing to do with the TOE.

Personally I say **** em. We can wear whatever we want.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Land Shark is correct in that the '80s Cyclone first originated with the football team and Roger Gade, who worked for Iowa State for nearly two decades, (well after Criner left) and remains a lifetime member of the Cyclone Letterwinners Club.

That era was much more casual with logo usage than today. There were many different logos floating around, but only one logo had both the school name and nickname, hence the '80s Cyclone was put in use as the school logo for about a decade. Some of it made its way over to the basketball program. Just look at the jacket Hornacek is holding here:

Dc1sdHCVQAIj6Gk.jpg

In some of my previous stories, I chose to frame it as the Orr Cyclone, given that Johnny Orr was the most prominent face of ISU athletics at that time, and the Cyclone logo was the most prominent school logo at that time. While Johnny did mostly use Cy, it was the only Cyclone logo during Johnny's time at Iowa State. This cannot be disputed.

Sure, the football team was mediocre, aligning completely with ISU's historical record, but as Pollard explained earlier this year regarding the bugle logo, game results (aka Texas) don't have any bearing on the logo quality.

You know what else happened during the decade of the 1980s Cyclone?

Johnny Orr and Barry Stevens originated Hilton Magic
The 1987 wrestling team won the national championship
The 1989 cross country team won the national championship​

Even with all of that wonderful history, the 1980s Cyclone is undeniably dated. Thus a forum member (IG: Friendan.Design) redesigned the entire Cyclone to be less stilted and modern. It's the best of both worlds--it retains the iconic concept of the 1980s logo and successes without explicitly being attached to Criner.

When I think of the 1980s, I think of Hilton Magic and national championships.

Embrace Heritage.

Embrace the Orr Cyclone.

I'm pretty sure I referred to it as the Orr Cyclone because of your posts, so that explains it. I didn't know Johnny disliked it though. No matter, it is still defining of that era of Cyclone sports and as you said, ISU athletes won titles under it.

hqdefault.jpg

To me it feels like a Classic Big 8 style logo. Something you could look at and immediately make the connection to the ISU Cyclones. The bird in a blender was an attempt on a "modern" take, but it was overly complicated and added blue, which is pretty much universally hated now.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My preference for ISU would be to mirror the OKSt model with the alts and jersey/pant striping.

I just hope like hell we don't do what the Minny Yellow Rodents are doing:

https://hyprrelite.com/

There simplistic jerseys/pants are awful.

Minny has had "simple" jersey style for a long time though. They've embraced the "Old School Big Ten" style like Penn State.

Outside of a few temporary but obvious mistakes...
1647502.0.jpg

Minnesota uniforms have almost always been pretty simple in style.
6337470.0.jpg

The new Nike updates are just adding some flash.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Love the dudes in the top deck drinking from a bota. I-S-U

View attachment 55066

Always find it interesting how few people wore team gear in the 80s/90s. You go to a game now, and everyone is just a couple tweaks from being the mascot. It certainly looks better on TV nowadays. I was young, and maybe it's the nostalgia, but sports were much more casual back then.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Always find it interesting how few people wore team gear in the 80s/90s. You go to a game now, and everyone is just a couple tweaks from being the mascot. It certainly looks better on TV nowadays. I was young, and maybe it's the nostalgia, but sports were much more casual back then.

I've noticed that as well. Highlights from the Johnny Orr era and there are people in pink and blue and green sweatshirts sitting in the expensive seats.

Athletic apparel was just not nearly as popular or as widely available back then.

I graduated high school in 97 and even then, school apparel was not nearly as common or available. Now every high school has entire wardrobes of school gear. My elementary school kids have as much Ankeny Centenial gear as I had school gear when I was in high school. And I was on multiple teams and in band.

Last edited:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I'm pretty sure I referred to it as the Orr Cyclone because of your posts, so that explains it. I didn't know Johnny disliked it though. No matter, it is still defining of that era of Cyclone sports and as you said, ISU athletes won titles under it.

hqdefault.jpg

To me it feels like a Classic Big 8 style logo. Something you could look at and immediately make the connection to the ISU Cyclones. The bird in a blender was an attempt on a "modern" take, but it was overly complicated and added blue, which is pretty much universally hated now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Orr hated that logo because it was introduced shortly after Criner was hired. Associating this logo with anyone besides Criner seems very wrong to me.

It should be noted that the singlets the wrestling team wore as national champions in 1987 and the cross country team wore in 1989 and 1994 did not have this logo present like they do today.
As an athlete in the period, I don't think I had one department issued shirt, or sweats with that logo on it in 4 years.

Attachments

• gibbons.PNG
    gibbons.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 22
  • XC 1994.png
    XC 1994.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 19

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Like anything else, at some point someone realized they could sell team shirts and make money, a lot of money.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It wouldn't surprise me if Orr hated that logo because it was introduced shortly after Criner was hired. Associating this logo with anyone besides Criner seems very wrong to me.

It should be noted that the singlets the wrestling team wore as national champions in 1987 and the cross country team wore in 1989 and 1994 did not have this logo present like they do today.
As an athlete in the period, I don't think I had one department issued shirt, or sweats with that logo on it in 4 years.

I don't think Branding was nearly as big a deal back before the 2000s as it is now. The big schools had their fanbase established and could print money as well as t-shirts, but anyone below that was fewer and far between for apparel.

I remember seeing Iowa stuff more of course, because they had more people to sell to, but schools like ISU didn't spend nearly as much on marketing and apparel as they do now.

I think it's interesting how many times ISU switched logos and helmets in the 70s and 80s. They tried a lot of stuff, but didn't stick with anything and didn't commit to specific apparel enough to make it last.