What Position will Zion Griffin play?

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I noticed in the article on what Nixon's commitment means to Iowa State, that Zion Griffin is referenced as incoming freshmen a long with the returning guards., making him sound like a guard. I may have misunderstood, but I was thinking Griffin might be a wing, but not what I would consider a guard unless you are thinking broadly of a 3-guard lineup. If I remember correctly, he mostly played post in high school, but his recruiting really took off when he got more time on the perimeter and showed range to 3 and handles to slash. I hear about THT playing the 1-4, but always thought he was more of a 2-3 that could potentially play the 1, and even the 4 ala Burton. I was thinking of Griffin as more of a 3, that might have range to go to a 2, but just as likely, or even more so, could play the 4 in a smaller ball line-up. I haven't personally seen either of them play, so am looking for insight from those who have. Ah, speculation...this is what we do with no games to watch!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I noticed in the article on what Nixon's commitment means to Iowa State, that Zion Griffin is referenced as incoming freshmen a long with the returning guards., making him sound like a guard. I may have misunderstood, but I was thinking Griffin might be a wing, but not what I would consider a guard unless you are thinking broadly of a 3-guard lineup. If I remember correctly, he mostly played post in high school, but his recruiting really took off when he got more time on the perimeter and showed range to 3 and handles to slash. I hear about THT playing the 1-4, but always thought he was more of a 2-3 that could potentially play the 1, and even the 4 ala Burton. I was thinking of Griffin as more of a 3, that might have range to go to a 2, but just as likely, or even more so, could play the 4 in a smaller ball line-up. I haven't personally seen either of them play, so am looking for insight from those who have. Ah, speculation...this is what we do with no games to watch!

I think he has the versatility to play the third guard in a big line up, or something like that, but my impression is that he's more like a 3-4.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think he has the versatility to play the third guard in a big line up, or something like that, but my impression is that he's more like a 3-4.

Yeah, I think Zion will play SF/PF for ISU. I have thought he'd develop an Ejim type player. ZG has played PF/C upto this point but gained the recruiting attention once he added an outside game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IMO he's a classic SF that can guard 2-4. Reminds me a lot of Marquis Gilstrap.

Strengths: A strong and athletic wing player who is physically ready for the next level … He has a nice mix of tools that he brings to the game, and he is able to contribute in a variety of ways … A lanky player with a good build, he can get to the basket and use his body to finish plays ... He shows a decent first step, and can get to the basket using jabs out of the triple threat ... As a jump shooter, his form is pretty good and he is a capable threat from beyond the arc ... He is very good from midrange, where he has a well balanced pull up, shooting it with good elevation and rhythm ... As a rebounder, he is extremely effective, because he can use his physicality and athleticism to go get the ball ... Has the ability to block shots ...

Weaknesses: Can do a number of things well, but doesn't have one area that he is great at ... His perimeter game lacks polish, and he is not very effective attacking off the dribble ... He is a fairly inconsistent shooter, needing to get into a rhythm before he can make shots ... He is not the smoothest player when attacking the basket, needing an extra step to gather himself before exploding ... Makes poor decisions and tends to panic when he gets pressured ... Has only one season of D1 basketball under his belt as he spent time in JUCO and rehabbing a leg injury ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marquis-gilstrap

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclone84cowboy

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I don’t think Fred or Prohm do traditional 1-5 like old school. Minus lard and young. The 2-4 are basically interchangeable and when u get a guy like Niang or THT they might even bring the ball up.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
KU wanted him as a small ball 4 man I think that's all you need to know. If he develops his ball handling and ability to dribble drive he could be an absolute nightmare to defend by the end of his career.

THT and Griffin should be mainstays for us at the 3 and 4 respectively for the next several years. Lard at the 5 not a bad young nucleus for our frontcourt right there.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I don’t think Fred or Prohm do traditional 1-5 like old school. Minus lard and young. The 2-4 are basically interchangeable and when u get a guy like Niang or THT they might even bring the ball up.

I get that and like the flexibility...yet we saw how "positionless basketball" worked for Iowa last year. I believe what it does do for the coach is that if gives him a variety of combinations, with more flexibility if there is foul trouble, he can put on the floor during the game, as well as to play different ways.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I get that and like the flexibility...yet we saw how "positionless basketball" worked for Iowa last year. I believe what it does do for the coach is that if gives him a variety of combination he can put on the floor during the game, as well as to play different ways.

Iowa scored plenty last year. They just could not stop anybody.

Fran finally came around to Hoiball.

• Funny
Reactions: SoapyCy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I get that and like the flexibility...yet we saw how "positionless basketball" worked for Iowa last year. I believe what it does do for the coach is that if gives him a variety of combinations, with more flexibility if there is foul trouble, he can put on the floor during the game, as well as to play different ways.

I get what you're saying, but ISU isn't going to try to play "positionless basketball" with a bunch of unathletic 6-8 power forwards.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I get what you're saying, but ISU isn't going to try to play "positionless basketball" with a bunch of unathletic 6-8 power forwards.

You forgot the 6' 180 white guy who can shoot -- yet nothing else -- playing PG!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Think Ejim

IMO he's a classic SF that can guard 2-4. Reminds me a lot of Marquis Gilstrap.

First player I thought of:

530ec5dba29b9.image.jpg

Hogue.JPG