****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No doubt we will reach out to this kid. Could be a nice fall back from Harris if we feel we aren't going to land a transfer we want. Lots of moving peices though, so we'll have to see. I just remember Prohm liking Akinjo's play.

Sorry, I don't have a link but I did see Patrick Ewing meet with Akinjo about Georgetown last night right after his release.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Akinjo is definitely the type of high school player to target if that's the route the staff chooses to go. He possesses "true point guard" skills in that he is a really good passer with an elite handle for his age.

Haliburton stock has really been on the rise the past month or so though imo. He's going to be a great facilitator with talent around him.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Akinjo is definitely the type of high school player to target if that's the route the staff chooses to go. He possesses "true point guard" skills in that he is a really good passer with an elite handle for his age.

Haliburton stock has really been on the rise the past month or so though imo. He's going to be a great facilitator with talent around him.

Why would Halliburton's stock go up this past month? Just curious. He won't go from a 3 star to a 4 star or anything like that will he?

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Why would Halliburton's stock go up this past month? Just curious. He won't go from a 3 star to a 4 star or anything like that will he?

He's been playing really well. Had 42 points in the team's biggest match up of the year and then led his team to a state title. Very efficient player. Better than my expectations at least. The physical development is still necessary but I wouldn't completely count him out on contributing next year.

Right now he's #216 on 247 so he almost surely won't get moved up to a 4 star. But based on how much Evan Flood likes him, I'd expect him to get a healthy ratings bump in the next update.

Edit: Evan Flood, not Daniels, but here are some of his tweets about Haliburton from this season...

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No ISU Akinjo connection yet, not sure if you need to re-offer if you had perviously.

@coreyevans_10 Now available, four-star guard James Akinjo, within the past 24 hours, has received offers from Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, WVU, Providence, Tennessee and Georgetown, per source

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He's been playing really well. Had 42 points in the team's biggest match up of the year and then led his team to a state title. Very efficient player. Better than my expectations at least. The physical development is still necessary but I wouldn't completely count him out on contributing next year.

Right now he's #216 on 247 so he almost surely won't get moved up to a 4 star. But based on how much Evan Flood likes him, I'd expect him to get a healthy ratings bump in the next update.

Edit: Evan Flood, not Daniels, but here are some of his tweets about Haliburton from this season...

I had really been hoping ISU could land Harris or Akinjo as a "true PG" to pair with Haliburton. I'm skeptical of guys labeled as combo guards really being able to play PG at a high level. It seems this happens a lot with these taller guys, they are labeled as PGs, but they struggle. After watching Haliburton over the past couple months he looks like a legit PG. would still love to get Akinjo or Harris, but I won't be too concerned if it doesn't happen.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I had really been hoping ISU could land Harris or Akinjo as a "true PG" to pair with Haliburton. I'm skeptical of guys labeled as combo guards really being able to play PG at a high level. It seems this happens a lot with these taller guys, they are labeled as PGs, but they struggle. After watching Haliburton over the past couple months he looks like a legit PG. would still love to get Akinjo or Harris, but I won't be too concerned if it doesn't happen.

Haliburton is labeled as a point guard on 247 and rivals and has said he's played point guard his whole life. I don't think I've seen him called a combo guard anywhere, but his length certainly gives him versatility. I think they will go the sit out route.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
To Add to the "Talen isn't going to Memphis" info

Talen just won City/Suburban Hoops Report Player of the Year
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsport...hoops-report-player-year-talen-horton-tucker/

and he had a nice little blurb about his hopes/plans/aspirations after college and it seems he is planning on making it to Ames.
" A big part of becoming the player I can be will be about maturing, dealing with different people and being in control of my life. I’m ready to get started right now. Going in with these guys — the two guys from Illinois, Zion [Griffin] and George [Conditt], and Tyrese [Haliburton] from Wisconsin — just has me really excited about college, about what is happening at Iowa State. It’s something completely new, not being in high school anymore and having more freedom that comes with going away to college. It all has me pretty excited. Also, it’s taking the next step in preparing and trying to reach my goal of the NBA. That’s my ultimate goal."

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Haliburton is labeled as a point guard on 247 and rivals and has said he's played point guard his whole life. I don't think I've seen him called a combo guard anywhere, but his length certainly gives him versatility. I think they will go the sit out route.
I think you're right, seems based on size he's going to get some mentions as a guy who can play multiple positions, though is really a pure PG. considering his ranking and Prohm's love for PGs I could see them looking at another HS PG, but with how Haliburton has finished the season the staff has to feel good about using the open slot on best available, including a sit out transfer.