Pollard Talks JTS NEZ Remodel/Upgrade and Nutrition and Player Performance Center

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
What about maybe updating the hillsides a little to have a more terraced, managed look? Visually it would look little better and still allow kids to run around and have fun. And the terraces would give you a little something to either sit/stand on or lean up against.

Attachments

• XwJFNSiu-3000-1506_1195_600_90_int.jpg
    XwJFNSiu-3000-1506_1195_600_90_int.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
What about maybe updating the hillsides a little to have a more terraced, managed look? Visually it would look little better and still allow kids to run around and have fun. And the terraces would give you a little something to either sit/stand on or lean up against.

Burried utilities would be a concern.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
First off, I think that the whole thing is a moot point. They're going to come up with some 6 story high rise where the Olsen Building sits and connect the concourses with a walkway in front of it. The Jake AND the hillsides will still be there unchanged. And that walkway will be so high that you can look down on the roof of the Jake.

Second, I totally disagree with this approach. I think that if you are really raising $75M, then the first thing you do is bulldoze the Olsen and Jake. What I would do is something similar to Clemson (without the upper level seating):

images

You could make the actual structure not quite as high/long and probably deeper to fit into the Olsen footprint. Stands would be basically half as high as the lower level east and west in JTS. Concourse would connect THROUGH the building with some sort of Hall of Fame display to walk through. AND, you keep a portion of the hillsides in the corners above the stands for nostalgia/kids to run around. Keep the video board above the building and you also have tunnels for the teams to run out of.

To me, this is a no-brainer. And it's almost irresponsible not to go this route if you have the money.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
First off, I think that the whole thing is a moot point. They're going to come up with some 6 story high rise where the Olsen Building sits and connect the concourses with a walkway in front of it. The Jake AND the hillsides will still be there unchanged. And that walkway will be so high that you can look down on the roof of the Jake.
If true, I think we’re looking at having a six-story bugle where the Olsen now sits. Look for the corporate sponsorship of the building to be announced soon. The Iowa State Giant Bugle Center by General Mills.

******* disaster of a plan if true. Hate the new alternative logo? JP says hold me beer.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Second, I totally disagree with this approach. I think that if you are really raising $75M, then the first thing you do is bulldoze the Olsen and Jake. What I would do is something similar to Clemson (without the upper level seating):

images

You could make the actual structure not quite as high/long and probably deeper to fit into the Olsen footprint. Stands would be basically half as high as the lower level east and west in JTS. Concourse would connect THROUGH the building with some sort of Hall of Fame display to walk through. AND, you keep a portion of the hillsides in the corners above the stands for nostalgia/kids to run around. Keep the video board above the building and you also have tunnels for the teams to run out of.

To me, this is a no-brainer. And it's almost irresponsible not to go this route if you have the money.
I will say this for the fifteenth time, you do basically the same thing as Clemson did here, only you make the lower center sections in the end zone the family zone and sell the Jr Cy tickets and family pack tickets there (like at Kansas State) you put the bands in the wings, and you put another club section above with the Score board above it all. The Jr Cy club and families still get their tickets/zone/atmosphere. They get closer to the action, closer to the cheerleaders and Cy for photo ops and interactions, closer to the players for high fives and interactions, closer to other aspects. No one is suggesting leaving them out, we are actually suggesting bringing them into the stadium with more interactions and more inclusion.
You get another club zone with higher revenue, you get the stadium to look way more impressive and sound and feel much more impressive, and complete.
I really doubt this is the plan at this time, but considering that Clemson built this and their performance center for $75 mil, it is possible.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I don't think the hillsides are counted in total capacity right now. My understanding is that capacity is 61,500 and that does not include hillsides
61,500 =
54,800 physical seats
6,200 hillside tickets/seats
500 band/cheerleaders/on-field personnel etc.
That is how they get total capacity. Simply put otherwise games like the Hawkeye game this year would have been maxed out much higher if the hillsides weren't included in the 61,500 number.

Reactions: IASTATE07

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
If they are counting on the hillsides for seating capacity, then they won't have anyone running around and playing in that space if there are 6,200 people in that same space. So if the goal is to fill up the space with people, this is a pointless argument. You either get a nostalgic play area, or you get butts in seats. I'd rather have room for more butts in more seats (even if we don't sell out every game). And I would expect more people would be willing to pay for an actual seat than sitting/standing on the hillside.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If they are counting on the hillsides for seating capacity, then they won't have anyone running around and playing in that space if there are 6,200 people in that same space. So if the goal is to fill up the space with people, this is a pointless argument. You either get a nostalgic play area, or you get butts in seats. I'd rather have room for more butts in more seats (even if we don't sell out every game). And I would expect more people would be willing to pay for an actual seat than sitting/standing on the hillside.
Exactly, as things hopefully continue to improve the less room there should be or will be to run around on those hills anyway. And as things have shown half of the home games even in the last few years that have been not so great have been either sell outs or near sellouts, so with that being said there is no room to run around and toss the ball anyway, you are standing room only on those hills.
So would those with Jr Cy tickets rather have an actual seat for the same or close to the same money down in the end zone close to the action, cheerleaders, Cy, players etc. or on the standing on the hill. Here is a quote from an article on K States expansion of their end zone Family section:
"For phase three of stadium upgrades, though, a $65 million project to be completed for the 2015 season, K-State officials turned their attention to expanding the sold-out family seating section in the north end zone, as well as the Vanier Football Complex behind those seats.

“We had five architects that came in and made pitches on this thing, and at first, all of them talked about the different revenue opportunities we could create in the end zone,” said K-State Athletic Director John Currie. “But we had to remind them that this end zone is not about that.”

About 1,800 general admission seats are tied to the family section and have sold out over the past several years. The expansion will likely push the number of seats to 3,000, Currie said. The school sells those seats as season tickets in groups of four as family packs. For the 2014 season, the cost is $649 for four season tickets.

Families are attracted by the opportunity to be close to field level, where they can slap high-fives with the players as they enter the field from the Vanier building, Currie said. To get in that prime position, when the stadium gates open two hours before kickoff, moms, dads and their children can be seen hustling to the front row of the section and both sides of the team’s entry walkway."

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
There would have to be a way to keep one large or two sections for families if the hillsides were to go away. I don't think the hillsides go away until there's enough demand that after season ticket prices increase and the stadium is actually full into mid/late November. Remember that Iowa couldn't sellout Kinnick for the PSU game and ISU didn't sellout for Texas game that was nationally televised this year (Yes, I know that was BO (Before Oklahoma)).

We also know that Pollard likes to be able to build with the idea of expansion later is demand calls for it. Maybe would could see the hillsides take the form that would be close to whats needed if they were to be covered up by a seating structure down the road and something like the aluminum seats that make up the lower SEZ are easily built over top. The hillsides can still get rounded off to aid in the concourse connecting and for tunnels to be built. Then the Jake can still be renovated as it currently sits. Keep the current deck level as is and then add two stories of suites above it.

Like CW says about the TV deals in 2022-24 it could reshape many things and another big project like this might come after that and more money is secured by the Big 12 or whatever conferences look like at that time.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
There would have to be a way to keep one large or two sections for families if the hillsides were to go away. I don't think the hillsides go away until there's enough demand that after season ticket prices increase and the stadium is actually full into mid/late November. Remember that Iowa couldn't sellout Kinnick for the PSU game and ISU didn't sellout for Texas game that was nationally televised this year (Yes, I know that was BO (Before Oklahoma)).

We also know that Pollard likes to be able to build with the idea of expansion later is demand calls for it. Maybe would could see the hillsides take the form that would be close to whats needed if they were to be covered up by a seating structure down the road and something like the aluminum seats that make up the lower SEZ are easily built over top. The hillsides can still get rounded off to aid in the concourse connecting and for tunnels to be built. Then the Jake can still be renovated as it currently sits. Keep the current deck level as is and then add two stories of suites above it.

Like CW says about the TV deals in 2022-24 it could reshape many things and another big project like this might come after that and more money is secured by the Big 12 or whatever conferences look like at that time.
Do you even read my posts?

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Sorry, didn't read all of it at the time. I think people want to see it completely finished off without waiting and there isn't the rush for that. Just reshape the hillsides to best fit the needs of possible future expansion if needed.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Personally, I think that a project like this is extremely risky given the uncertainty of conference revenue in 6 years. That is, unless they have major donors lined up. But I do trust Pollard to make sound financial decisions.

I just think that IF you are considering a project on that scale (budget-wise), the first thing you need to do is bulldoze the Olsen and the Jake. I do think that the hillsides provide a great amenity to the AD in cultivating future fans. What I would do:

1. Start clean by razing the Olsen and Jake.
2. Put in permanent stands half the height of the E and W lower level connecting the stands. Band in the center, General Admission JR Cyclone Club on either side.
3. Building behind the stands with the concourse connection through the building.
4. Keep the videoboard structure.
5. Fill the hillsides behind the corner stands and up to the new building. So, GA JR Cyclone Club families can sit in the stands or the hillsides.
6. Ground level - Facilities, 2nd level - Locker rooms, players lounge, 3rd level - concourse, hall of fame. Current Olsen footprint - Nutrition center, academic center, AD offices.

What I don't understand is how they are looking to put a locker room there when the rehab/medical, the weight room, the practice facility, the equipment area is all in the Bergstrom. Does not make much sense to me unless they are connecting them somehow. Supposedly, we're going to get renderings next month. It will be interesting to see how they plan to make all of this work.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Personally, I think that a project like this is extremely risky given the uncertainty of conference revenue in 6 years. That is, unless they have major donors lined up. But I do trust Pollard to make sound financial decisions.

I just think that IF you are considering a project on that scale (budget-wise), the first thing you need to do is bulldoze the Olsen and the Jake. I do think that the hillsides provide a great amenity to the AD in cultivating future fans. What I would do:

1. Start clean by razing the Olsen and Jake.
2. Put in permanent stands half the height of the E and W lower level connecting the stands. Band in the center, General Admission JR Cyclone Club on either side.
3. Building behind the stands with the concourse connection through the building.
4. Keep the videoboard structure.
5. Fill the hillsides behind the corner stands and up to the new building. So, GA JR Cyclone Club families can sit in the stands or the hillsides.
6. Ground level - Facilities, 2nd level - Locker rooms, players lounge, 3rd level - concourse, hall of fame. Current Olsen footprint - Nutrition center, academic center, AD offices.

What I don't understand is how they are looking to put a locker room there when the rehab/medical, the weight room, the practice facility, the equipment area is all in the Bergstrom. Does not make much sense to me unless they are connecting them somehow. Supposedly, we're going to get renderings next month. It will be interesting to see how they plan to make all of this work.

A good portion of the Berg will be demolished. The new building be will there and into the parking lot to the east towards the Olson and Jacobson building.

• Funny
Reactions: jkclone

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
So the way I read this is every stadium without hills is not family friendly.

Having 4 hillsides did nothing to grow young Cyclone fans in the past. Know what helps grow the number of Cyclone fans? Winning. Know why DSM was so pro-Hawkeye 15 years ago and it's become much more 50/50 since? Because Iowa isn't winning every CyHawk game. It's also because Iowa State has fielded a few decent teams instead of getting 1-2 wins annually.

You come to a football game to watch football. There are hours before the game to go enjoy the bouncy house or toss the football around in the parking lots with kids.

Iowa State isn't ever going to have a 75k seat stadium so I don't know why you threw out that argument. I'd also be willing to bet a good chunk of change Iowa State's ticket price points at this time are among the lowest in the power 5 conferences so using everyone else's experience as an indicator of ours isn't fair. Iowa State also has pretty much zero competition for people's disposable income as it relates to sports. I'm guessing there are very few looking to drop their ISU season tickets to get Bears/Vikings/Chiefs/Packers season tickets.
Allen Lazard disagrees

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Why? They built that less than 5 years ago.

The administrative offices on the east side is what will be demo'd/remodeled and incorporated into the new performance facility. Lot 85W is is the parking that will be impacted. West part of the building (indoor training facility) with the football laces design on top will stay as is.

Why? No clue. But I can speculate that those offices and training rooms would be replaced with the new building no need for those.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How do we know that it would? I would think the Jacobson's, like any other ISU fans, would be thrilled at the continued progress of the program and improvements of the stadium. The hope for progress is why donors are donating in the first place, you don't donate that kind of cash in the hopes that we maintain the status quo forever. Just find something in the new NEZ to bear the Jacobson name, problem solved.

From what I remember, Jacobson was a bachelor. His foundation or whatever was giving the money is being split and finished off.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The administrative offices on the east side is what will be demo'd/remodeled and incorporated into the new performance facility. Lot 85W is is the parking that will be impacted. West part of the building (indoor training facility) with the football laces design on top will stay as is.

Why? No clue. But I can speculate that those offices and training rooms would be replaced with the new building no need for those.
That would make absolutely no sense. I get that there seems to be redundant plans but I don’t think there actually are. My understanding is the football offices are moving to the new facility but they are repurposing the old ones for a lounge type area that wasn’t included. If they were going to actually demo the new stuff they just built there would be zero excuse to not start fresh in that endzone.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
That would make absolutely no sense. I get that there seems to be redundant plans but I don’t think there actually are. My understanding is the football offices are moving to the new facility but they are repurposing the old ones for a lounge type area that wasn’t included. If they were going to actually demo the new stuff they just built there would be zero excuse to not start fresh in that endzone.

I'm just relaying what I was told right before Christmas. Haven't had a chance to talk to anyone lately about the most updated plan.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I read lots of griping about the appearance of the Jacobson building, but I don't think it is that bad. Perhaps it is just because it is our "baby" and I'm familiar and obliged to it. Or maybe it is also distinctive and makes our stadium unique. More could be done with the corners to tie it into the rest of the stadium, but the Jacobson building itself is not bad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron