Pollard Talks JTS NEZ Remodel/Upgrade and Nutrition and Player Performance Center

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, didn't say that. You didn't see what my thoughts were about how the renovation could look and why the hillsides are important. Keep them. Round them off. Expand Jake by putting a third story on it. Make the 2nd and 3rd stories suites. Add the concourse that connects the two sides. Easy. Show me that Jack Trice stays full when the cheapest season tickets ($175 without a donation) jump to $225 or higher due to winning and if the stadium stays full.

Some people on here act like JT should seat 75k-80k which isn't realistic.
There are 6200 seats in the hillsides so unless we do something similar to the SEZ it will not add much in way of capacity. I still am not sold that they are actually going to do anything do the stadium/Jake/hills proper. But short of them putting in a full NEZ bowl it will not add much for seats just replace the Hillsides with actual seats in the stadium. A lower bowl only would be about the same or even a bit lower capacity probably, a lower bowl with club section would possibly add a couple thousand at most. And something similar to the SEZ would get it to the 65000 range, maybe a little more. Something similar to Clemson's Westzone would be close to equal capacity to just slightly higher and look and feel much better, and have a much higher revenue possibility. With the possibility of moving those hills to a family zone in the lower bowl of the NEZ getting them close to Cy, cheerleaders and players and the tunnels for pictures, meets, and high fives, etc. Like they have at Kansas State. Still allowing a family atmosphere and family pack season tickets to help generate those fans. Plus, an additional club zone above the lower bowl, just as in the Clemson West Zone. Increasing the game day experience and the look and feel of JTS. Its not all about capacity its about the overall experience the types and value of tickets and the possible revenue that can be generated. As well as the overall look and feel of the game day experience for not only fans but for the players and recruits.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, didn't say that. You didn't see what my thoughts were about how the renovation could look and why the hillsides are important. Keep them. Round them off. Expand Jake by putting a third story on it. Make the 2nd and 3rd stories suites. Add the concourse that connects the two sides. Easy. Show me that Jack Trice stays full when the cheapest season tickets ($175 without a donation) jump to $225 or higher due to winning and if the stadium stays full.

Some people on here act like JT should seat 75k-80k which isn't realistic.
I see, you’re not being serious.

I agree, the counter arguments to the NEZ have been weak. If there is any possible way to include enhancing/enclosing the NEZ in this project it must be done.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
How about keeping a hillside for nostalgic reasons, but not within the seating area? Carve out some space on the backside of the embankments. Mount a video board out there, and sell the tickets for next to nothing. Sort of a public space within the stadium but just outside the seating area. It would be kind of like the new Wrigley Field Plaza- a place near the action where you can follow the game, but mostly for kids to play grab ass.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
There are 6200 seats in the hillsides so unless we do something similar to the SEZ it will not add much in way of capacity. I still am not sold that they are actually going to do anything do the stadium/Jake/hills proper. But short of them putting in a full NEZ bowl it will not add much for seats just replace the Hillsides with actual seats in the stadium. A lower bowl only would be about the same or even a bit lower capacity probably, a lower bowl with club section would possibly add a couple thousand at most. And something similar to the SEZ would get it to the 65000 range, maybe a little more. Something similar to Clemson's Westzone would be close to equal capacity to just slightly higher and look and feel much better, and have a much higher revenue possibility. With the possibility of moving those hills to a family zone in the lower bowl of the NEZ getting them close to Cy, cheerleaders and players and the tunnels for pictures, meets, and high fives, etc. Like they have at Kansas State. Still allowing a family atmosphere and family pack season tickets to help generate those fans. Plus, an additional club zone above the lower bowl, just as in the Clemson West Zone. Increasing the game day experience and the look and feel of JTS. Its not all about capacity its about the overall experience the types and value of tickets and the possible revenue that can be generated. As well as the overall look and feel of the game day experience for not only fans but for the players and recruits.

I don't think the hillsides are counted in total capacity right now. My understanding is that capacity is 61,500 and that does not include hillsides

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
We dont need any more seating, just need a look that encloses the north side.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
The hillsides are an important part of a young fan's experience, especially along the route of the player's tunnel. Let the kids run/play while mom and dad can at least attend the game, create life long fans with those kinds of memories
If the parents want the kids to run and play while they attend the game, they could...I don't know...hire a babysitter and leave them at home??? Or if the kids are old enough to sit/stand through a game (which they should be if the parents let them run around unsupervised), have them sit with the family and focus on the game. I'm not buying the argument that you would lose any future fans if you don't have hillsides. By the way, in case you think I'm an anti-kid fuddy-duddy, I have four kids.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Hey I'd like to know if the hillside complainers ever spent anytime there. Its easy to discount what you dont know. Remember there are all types of fans & different stages of raising your kids. Mine started going when they were 5ish & are now ~ 24, 26 & 28. I started going when I was 5. Some fond memories of times past. I hope we keep them or at least 1. This past year I visited the grassy hill when Coach Campbell was shaking the seniors hands before they were introduced on Senior Day, wow so moving. Thanks, have a good day & Go Cyclones!

Oh & I'll try Pollard has a good read on the situation, so ....

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hey I'd like to know if the hillside complainers ever spent anytime there. Its easy to discount what you dont know. Remember there are all types of fans & different stages of raising your kids. Mine started going when they were 5ish & are now ~ 24, 26 & 28. I started going when I was 5. Some fond memories of times past. I hope we keep them or at least 1. This past year I visited the grassy hill when Coach Campbell was shaking the seniors hands before they were introduced on Senior Day, wow so moving. Thanks, have a good day & Go Cyclones!

Oh & I'll try Pollard has a good read on the situation, so ....

My wife and I have been season ticket holders since 2005 and our family has expanded to 4. If Iowa State didn't have the junior cyclone club our season tickets would no longer be feasible. I just don't get how Iowa State fans can point out how family friendly JTS is but then we experience an 8 win season and all of a sudden the narrative is **** the family atmosphere. Be careful what you wish for folks... I have several Iowa friends that have dropped their season tickets because it simply isn't feasible to have to purchase a seat for their kids and other things in life become the priority.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My wife and I have been season ticket holders since 2005 and our family has expanded to 4. If Iowa State didn't have the junior cyclone club our season tickets would no longer be feasible. I just don't get how Iowa State fans can point out how family friendly JTS is but then we experience an 8 win season and all of a sudden the narrative is **** the family atmosphere. Be careful what you wish for folks... I have several Iowa friends that have dropped their season tickets because it simply isn't feasible to have to purchase a seat for their kids and other things in life become the priority.

-People have wanted the hillsides gone for awhile. It didn't just start this year.

-Many of the people suggesting to get rid of the hillsides have mentioned making family friendly seating areas.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hillside seats are included in attendance figures but not capacity. It’s how we have more attending than there are seats....

Hillside/SRO got added to the official capacity in 2007.

2006 - 45,814
2007 - 55,000

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Show me one post from anyone who said we should eliminate the family atmosphere. Believe it or not, we can eliminate the hillsides and still remain family-friendly.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Look, again those that have fond memories of their time spent over the years on the hillside I get it. But there are a lot of things that change and are necessary to do so. I hate to break it to the "don't take away the hillside" people but if it's what is best for ISU and the football program and the great majority of the fans then it should be done. JT can be fan and family friendly while also doing what makes the most sense for the majority of people.

And as far as those that can only take their kids because of the Jr. Cyclone club again I get it but if ISU continues to have success on the field and demand becomes greater for tickets prices are going up and the days of the $99 season tickets will be gone sooner rather than later.

It sucks but there are a ton of things that would make my life a lot easier that I have to deal with because my views aren't the be all and end all for everyone around me.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

50ShadesofMustard

May 24, 2017
The hillsides are nostalgic for some because as kids you could play instead of watching ISU get wrecked on the field. If Iowa state continues to improve and the games are competitive people are going to fill the hillsides so there won't be any room to play anyway.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
People let their kids sit in a section without supervision? My wife would never allow it. Our kids have always sat with us.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron