Any interest in discussing coaching moves?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
i'm not worried about CMC leaving Iowa State in the near future. However, I'm very concerned about losing Tom Manning at the end of this year or possibly next.

Just guessing but CMC seems like the type that will suggest JP spread the wealth to his staff. However, if we do lose somebody assistants are going to be lining up to be a part of what's happening.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
i'm not worried about CMC leaving Iowa State in the near future. However, I'm very concerned about losing Tom Manning at the end of this year or possibly next.
i think Heacock is the real assistant teams are going to go after. He has been shutting down offenses which traditional don't get shut down. Even OU fans are drooling at the thought of trying to lure him away.

Even though Ruffin McNeill will be the next DC for OU.

cystate1

Sep 8, 2017
  1. Florida- Mullen
  2. Tennessee- P. Manning next coach :)
  3. Les Miles Michigan as I think Jimmy H is gone
  4. Neil Brown leaves Troy for Oxford
  5. Nebraska Frost, which opens UCF job no clue who goes there
  6. Oregon State takes McElwain off Florida's books
  7. aTm, if it fires Sumlin, takes SMU's Chad Morris
  8. Ku keeps their dude after Saturday's monumental moral victory over Bill Snyder
  9. TxT think KK is out, no clue who would want that job
  10. Arkansas has a huge buyout and will pass rather than pay

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Charlie Strong would be crazy to take the UF job. UF = UT. Same types of egos and expectations and people pulling you in a million directions. Why would he sign up for that again?

I think NU is screwed whether they fire Riley or not. I think at this point, I would lean toward doing so because even recruits notice he is circling the drain. I hope ISU can poach a few of their recruits.
Nebby just lost another 4-star recruit who decommitted. The bigger problem here is that this recruit was a central focal point for 3-4 other recruits, who now are "reviewing" their choice. Per 24/7, Nebby now #10 in the BIG for recruiting and falling fast with no one left in the local area. They can continue to try the California pipeline...yeah, that has worked well...

Reactions: cyfanatic

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think if Bielema gets fired at Arkansas, he'd be a good fit at Nebraska. He was great at Wisconsin in the midwest and could certainly give the corn an identity running the ball.

I dont know why he sucks at Arky, but just seems like he belongs in the midwest finding big farm kids to pound away with up front. He'd make the Iowa/Nu game an actual rivalry.
Bielema might be a good fit at Nebbie. However, it seems they may still be haunted by the Pelini drama. Being that Bielema's a similar style of coach, I don't know if they can stomach that right now.

I know Frost is the one they talk about but I don't think he wanted the job last time. I don't know if it's because he didn't think he was ready or if it was because he didn't want to deal with the expectations from that fan base, especially as a hometown hero.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Funny, cause a couple of people I have talked to would like to see him here. I question if they are really 'sker fans.

Here's my take on Leach going anywhere else, particularly Nebraska.

Leach is not going to instantly improve any team he goes to. He will need multiple years to recruit and get his system into place. He's not someone who can go to Nebraska and turn it around in a year, which is what they want. He's not a guy who instantly improves the recruiting of his schools. He wins more on scheme than talent.

Nebraska wants/needs a coach who can come in and instantly improve recruiting so he can turn things around in a year or two.

I think Les Miles would be perfect there, as he has that recruiting chache. He is a run oriented coach which fits Nebby's historical philosophy, and he's a very good coach period. He's just crazy enough that he won't care what local media are complaining about either. And he wouldn't have Saban ruining his seasons every year. In a few years, a Les Miles Nebraska could likely unseat Wisconsin in the B1G West.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Question for Surly-

Is there still life to the rumor that Snyder wants his son to take over the reins?
It's not a rumor, it's Coach's wish. He's said it many times.

When John Currie left for Tennessee, his associate A.D., Laird Veatch, was expected to be named. It didn't happen. Veatch was best described as Currie-lite. Everyone knew - that had he stayed - Currie would not hire Sean after Bill left. So Veatch was passed-over and is at Florida today.

What the new A.D. will do is unknown. But my guess is that he'll follow Bill's lead and name Sean. Whether that's a good thing or not is to be determined.

Bielema would also be a nice fit at K-State. He was Snyder's d'coordinator for a time and has the Iowa tie.

Last edited:

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Here's my take on Leach going anywhere else, particularly Nebraska.

Leach is not going to instantly improve any team he goes to. He will need multiple years to recruit and get his system into place. He's not someone who can go to Nebraska and turn it around in a year, which is what they want. He's not a guy who instantly improves the recruiting of his schools. He wins more on scheme than talent.

Nebraska wants/needs a coach who can come in and instantly improve recruiting so he can turn things around in a year or two.

I think Les Miles would be perfect there, as he has that recruiting chache. He is a run oriented coach which fits Nebby's historical philosophy, and he's a very good coach period. He's just crazy enough that he won't care what local media are complaining about either. And he wouldn't have Saban ruining his seasons every year. In a few years, a Les Miles Nebraska could likely unseat Wisconsin in the B1G West.
Not to mention his son, Ben, already plays for Nebraska which would be a nice incentive. It's already been speculated that Moos, while he likes Riley, has a wandering eye for another head coach and the Chancellor/administration want somebody who can return the team to their glory days. As much as I hate Nebraska, Les Miles is the guy they need, IMO.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
It's not a rumor, it's Coach's wish. He's said it many times.

When John Currie left for Tennessee, his associate A.D., Laird Veatch, was expected to be named. It didn't happen. Veatch was best described as Currie-lite. Everyone knew - that had he stayed - Currie would not hire Sean after Bill left. So Veatch was passed-over and is at Florida today.

What the new A.D. will do is unknown. But my guess is that he'll follow Bill's lead and name Sean. Whether that's a good thing or not is to be determined.

Bielema would also be a nice fit at K-State. He was Snyder's d'coordinator for a time and has the Iowa tie.

No way this works out well. Bill Snyder is 1 in 1,000. Sean is not Bill.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
No way this works out well. Bill Snyder is 1 in 1,000. Sean is not Bill.

It's likely a recipe for mediocre football to return to KSU. Bill is one of the best game day coaches in college football. Anyone else is going to struggle in his position. KSU fans are going to be particularly upset if they are forced to accept his son as a replacement and he struggles.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This fan "Sean narrative" is well-played. But I'll say this for him, he's the best special teams coach in the game. My gosh, K-State ST's are always stellar and in all phases. That suggests he knows how to coach.

We'll see.

But your above comments are spot-on from a K-State fan perspective. I've seen very few who actually 'want' Sean to follow Bill. I guess Iowa has the same situation looming.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It's likely a recipe for mediocre football to return to KSU. Bill is one of the best game day coaches in college football. Anyone else is going to struggle in his position. KSU fans are going to be particularly upset if they are forced to accept his son as a replacement and he struggles.
Without Bill Snyder that program wasn't close to mediocre.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeBacon

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This fan "Sean narrative" is well-played. But I'll say this for him, he's the best special teams coach in the game. My gosh, K-State ST's are always stellar and in all phases. That suggests he knows how to coach.

We'll see.

But your above comments are spot-on from a K-State fan perspective. I've seen very few who actually 'want' Sean to follow Bill.

Bill has been there so long, outside of a small stint, that I think anyone is going to struggle taking over for him. Sean will at least try to keep the culture the same, which is a plus. If he hires good assistants that will be a good sign for him.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron