Any interest in discussing coaching moves?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
To avoid the troll of the year award, I won't touch local talent. But here are some that might happen.

1. Florida takes either Mullen or Frost and the other ends up at
  2. Tennessee
  3. Les Miles goes all CoMo on us
  4. Neil Brown leaves Troy for Oxford
  5. Nebraska takes a cultural misfit, either Leach or the scumbag - my guess is Kelly
  6. Oregon State takes McElwain off Florida's books
  7. aTm, if it fires Sumlin, takes SMU's Chad Morris
  8. Ku keeps their dude after Saturday's monumental moral victory over Bill Snyder
  9. TxT holds pat but if they fire KK look for Brent Venables
  10. Arkansas has a huge buyout and will pass rather than pay

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
If Nebraska fires Riley this year that program could end up in the cellar of the big 10. They've already got a reputation for being quick to fire coaches, and they found out last go round that they don't have the clout they thought they did when it comes to coaching searches.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
To avoid the troll of the year award, so I won't touch local talent. But here are some that might happen.

1. Florida takes either Mullen or Frost and the other ends up at
  2. Tennessee
  3. Les Miles goes CoMo
  4. Neil Brown leaves Troy for Oxford
  5. Nebraska takes a cultural misfit, either Leach or the scumbag - my guess is Kelly
  6. Oregon State takes McElwain off Florida's books
  7. aTm, if it fires Sumlin, takes SMU's Chad Morris
  8. Ku keeps their dude after Saturday's monumental moral victory over Bill Snyder
  9. TxT holds pat but if they fire KK look for Brent Venables
  10. Arkansas has a huge buyout and will pass rather than pay

For sheer entertainment value I'd love to see Leach in Lincoln. That would be Hindenburg- level disastrous.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
WIllie Taggert will get massive consideration at Florida. I then wonder if Nike would throw a boatload of money at Chip to return.
KState not getting Snyder to retire and hiring Venables would be like not getting Brad Underwood.
I still think Les Miles at Nebraska would be intriguing.
I think Leach goes somewhere, maybe Mizzou?
McElwain would then think about Wazzu.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Stanford is also maybe one to keep an eye on. David Shaw's name usually comes up in the NFL after every season, and there are at least six teams who will likely be looking for a new head coach in January.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What about Charlie Strong to Florida? He was a successful DC there for a while before going to Louisville and has South Florida playing well. Plus has strong (no pun intended) recruiting ties to FL.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I really don't want to talk about, especially if it involves a certain ISU coach.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Charlie Strong would be crazy to take the UF job. UF = UT. Same types of egos and expectations and people pulling you in a million directions. Why would he sign up for that again?

I think NU is screwed whether they fire Riley or not. I think at this point, I would lean toward doing so because even recruits notice he is circling the drain. I hope ISU can poach a few of their recruits.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What about Charlie Strong to Florida? He was a successful DC there for a while before going to Louisville and has South Florida playing well. Plus has strong (no pun intended) recruiting ties to FL.

Charlie Strong would be crazy to take the UF job. UF = UT. Same types of egos and expectations and people pulling you in a million directions. Why would he sign up for that again?

Yeah, that was my immediate thought as well. Maybe he learned from his experience at Texas and he'd have a better handle on it the second time around, but he also now knows the grass isn't always greener.

In fairness, though, he was always screwed at Texas as their second choice. They never gave him a chance. If he was Florida's first call, then maybe it's a different story.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
To me any school that offers a coaching job, but stipulates how you have to win (and win a lot), is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Frost is the most interesting play. Nebby needs to back up the truck for him, but would be hilarious if he spurned the alma mater for Florida. And if he were smart, he probably should.

Nebraska still has not realized they are irrelevant.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Frost is the most interesting play. Nebby needs to back up the truck for him, but would be hilarious if he spurned the alma mater for Florida. And if he were smart, he probably should.

Nebraska still has not realized they are irrelevant.
Perhaps Frost will feel obligated to give it a try at NU, but it must cross his mind that going back to the prairie as a legend has more negative outcomes than good. I’m sure he can win there, but will NU fans be happy with being a poor-mans Wisconsin? That didn’t appease the locals for Bo.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think if Bielema gets fired at Arkansas, he'd be a good fit at Nebraska. He was great at Wisconsin in the midwest and could certainly give the corn an identity running the ball.

I dont know why he sucks at Arky, but just seems like he belongs in the midwest finding big farm kids to pound away with up front. He'd make the Iowa/Nu game an actual rivalry.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
i'm not worried about CMC leaving Iowa State in the near future. However, I'm very concerned about losing Tom Manning at the end of this year or possibly next.

• Optimistic
Reactions: surly

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
i'm not worried about CMC leaving Iowa State in the near future. However, I'm very concerned about losing Tom Manning at the end of this year or possibly next.

Not me. The coaches on this staff are very close and genuinely love each other. I honestly have never seen another staff that was this close. Most staffs have personalities that clash or coaches who are all about themselves, but these guys aren't like that.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I want to know what Surly has posted on other boards about his prediction for Campbell...because you know this has changed for each audience.

Reactions: isutrevman

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think if Bielema gets fired at Arkansas, he'd be a good fit at Nebraska. He was great at Wisconsin in the midwest and could certainly give the corn an identity running the ball.

I dont know why he sucks at Arky, but just seems like he belongs in the midwest finding big farm kids to pound away with up front. He'd make the Iowa/Nu game an actual rivalry.

That guy is a massive myocardial infarction waiting to happen. That would have to scare a lot of teams off I would think.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron