Any interest in discussing coaching moves?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This fan "Sean narrative" is well-played. But I'll say this for him, he's the best special teams coach in the game. My gosh, K-State ST's are always stellar and in all phases. That suggests he knows how to coach.

We'll see.

But your above comments are spot-on from a K-State fan perspective. I've seen very few who actually 'want' Sean to follow Bill. I guess Iowa has the same situation looming.
No doubt. He's sure to join the pantheon of great special teams coaches who went directly to being a head coach. Shoulder to shoulder with such coaching greats as... that one guy... and that other dude.... and... uhh...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
John Harbaugh

He also coached multiple different positions though.

Career history
As coach:

Someone solely in charge of special teams in their entire coaching career is less common.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
To be fair, Sean does have the title Associate Head Coach in addition to ST Coach.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
As a lifelong Husker hater, sign me up for Les Miles. He's insanely overrated, even with the benefit of having his pick of amazing Louisiana talent he still managed to find ways to underachieve. AT LSU he was barely able to keep the car Saban bought on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
This fan "Sean narrative" is well-played. But I'll say this for him, he's the best special teams coach in the game. My gosh, K-State ST's are always stellar and in all phases. That suggests he knows how to coach.

We'll see.

But your above comments are spot-on from a K-State fan perspective. I've seen very few who actually 'want' Sean to follow Bill. I guess Iowa has the same situation looming.

Is there any kind of consensus among the fans who they do want? Is it somebody else internally (Dimmel?) or is Venables the guy? If Sean is hired over other internal candidates does he keep most of the rest on board or is there hard feelings?

I see you mentioned Bielema in your previous post. I've got to admit, I don't get that. I know he did good things with what Alvarez built at UW but on a personal level he wasn't very well liked. I've got a friend who knows some pretty heavy hitters in Madison and Bielema was widely considered to be a prick. He was banned from more than one bar and made a spectacle of himself on several occasions...and this was late in his tenure, not when he was a 20 something assistant. Couple that with the fact that he's falling flat on his face at Arkansas (with the fall being broken by his substantial girth) and I would question how easy a sell that would be. Granted he has a history at K-State at a time when they were really rolling and I've always thought he was an ******* so I'm biased.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Bielema might be a good fit at Nebbie. However, it seems they may still be haunted by the Pelini drama. Being that Bielema's a similar style of coach, I don't know if they can stomach that right now.

I know Frost is the one they talk about but I don't think he wanted the job last time. I don't know if it's because he didn't think he was ready or if it was because he didn't want to deal with the expectations from that fan base, especially as a hometown hero.

No way on Bielema...he wouldn't last 30 days given a certain concession stand in Memorial Stadium...

runza.png

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Is there any kind of consensus among the fans who they do want? Is it somebody else internally (Dimmel?) or is Venables the guy? If Sean is hired over other internal candidates does he keep most of the rest on board or is there hard feelings?

I see you mentioned Bielema in your previous post. I've got to admit, I don't get that.

I would say that most K-State fans want Venables. He has the pedigree. Kansan. JUCO transfer to K-State. Linebacker under Snyder. Assistant under Snyder. Been around two outstanding programs since leaving. OU's defense today proves how good he was there. Clemson speaks for itself. So, Brent would be the numero uno choice.

Dana Dimel is widely disparaged here for his play calling. Although, I'm not in that cabal.

I was in Fayetteville last weekend. Hog football is really a mess. Part of it, IMHO, is that BB got away from what made him so highly thought of in the first place, a bruising run game. He brought in one of those Kingsbury chuck-it types a couple years ago. And that offense has failed miserably. I can't speak to his Wisconsin days.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
runza-png.51437
750 cals in one of those nasty dudes. BB would thrive.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: Scott34

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Campbell will have several opportunities. It's all a matter of where he sees the ISU program after this very successful season versus other opportunities.

One of the most remarkable things about guys like Mark Few, Bob McKillop and Bill Snyder is that they found their place and didn't leave. But Campbell has already left for ISU. So who knows what's ahead?

It would be great if he stayed in Ames and built a Snyder or, even better yet, Clemson-like program.

PS: Nice to see Rick Neuheisel back in coaching at Oregon State.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Surprised how many K-Staters want the best thing to happen to them - really, the only good thing that has ever happened to them - to leave. I get that things aren't great right now, but from an outsider's perspective, Snyder still has the ability to bring a 2012-type season at any time. Remember that? K-State was #2 in the country five years ago.

I think the Big 12 will see one coaching change this offseason as Tech will send Kingsbury on his way. I could see them going after SMU's Chad Morris.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Surprised how many K-Staters want the best thing to happen to them - really, the only good thing that has ever happened to them - to leave. I get that things aren't great right now, but from an outsider's perspective, Snyder still has the ability to bring a 2012-type season at any time. Remember that? K-State was #2 in the country five years ago.

I think the Big 12 will see one coaching change this offseason as Tech will send Kingsbury on his way. I could see them going after SMU's Chad Morris.
Most of those wanting coach gone are youngsters who were nothing more than their fathers' dreams when Snyder came to State.